• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Ben Askren Said He Picked/Tricked Masvidal into Fighting Him Because He's "Simple" and Easy to Beat

Who wins?

• Total voters

ReadWrite

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
“Going in to the fight with Masvidal, I thought Till was going to win,” Askren told MMA Fighting. “Masvidal was already making excuses so I didn’t really think it was a good possibility of me fighting Masvidal but then when he won, they started looking around at opponents for me and “Wonderboy” lost and Masvidal was the one that made the most sense.

“I just had to goad him into saying yes, which I did, and here we are.”

As for the fight itself, Askren isn’t too worried about what Masvidal brings to the table.

“I think it’s pretty easy,” Askren said of the Masvidal fight. “He’s simple right? He’s got good hands but his wrestling’s not great. His jiu-jitsu’s not great. His strength is not great. His cardio’s not great. So when you break it down like that, it becomes pretty simple.

“To prove I’m the best in the world is the one goal I came back for because I was retired. I think this (fight) puts me closer to that.”

UFC 239 takes place this Saturday, July 6th in Las Vegas.

Think Askren grinds out a decision... but be careful Ben, might be a discount on three piece and soda Saturday Night.

I’ve said it once I’ll say it again, I’m rooting for Ben but I truly thinks he gets off on the whole “my IQ is higher then his”

Can't wait for Jorge to piece this guy up, such a charlatan. I don't know how anyone can be a fan of this goofy awkward dadbod, duck walking, ass poking out, sandal wearing wierdo lol must be murrican

The thing is Masvidal lost a split decision to Maia which honestly is probably the closest fighter to Askren in MMA so yeah I think Masvidal has great experience to draw from coming into this fight Askren is overconfident Masvidal has shown he can go rounds with a high level wet blanket

I have the feeling that a pumped up and motivated Masvidal will be hard fight for Askren. That said, I still think Askren gets a decision with some difficulty.

Masvidal is borderline retarded

He's not technically wrong

So what would put you one step closer to proving you're the best in the world is beating someone you think is a simple fighter that's easy to beat.

That doesn't make sense lol

I just dont see how Masvial wins in a 3 rounds fight. Askren is homer simpson in his ability to take damage.

Askren should take this, but his nonchalant attitude is a little alarming... if he’s not careful he’s gonna end up KO’ed on the canvas.

Masvidal is borderline retarded

He's not technically wrong
He's not highly educated, but he comes accross as a pretty bright guy. Maybe a bit immature for his age. How is he borderline retarded?

Ben finishes Jorge in round 1 and makes it look easy. Then he calls out Marty. Askren vs Marty in December like I've been saying since I was on this site. I'm excited for this card.

After Marty loses Ben either fights Colby or GSP next summer.

He's not highly educated, but he comes accross as a pretty bright guy. Maybe a bit immature for his age. How is he borderline retarded?
Borderline retarded was a bit harsh....i probably should have tossed a warmup pitch before going with that high heat

Between him learning from the Maia fight and constantly training with Colby I think Masdival has this.

Masdival 3rd TKO.

Ben will smoke Masvidal. it's not going the distance either. Ben's wrestling, bjj, strength and overall intelligence are just too many levels above most everyone.

Ben is so good his ground and pound and submissions are more effective than Khabibs.

Can't wait for Jorge to piece this guy up, such a charlatan. I don't know how anyone can be a fan of this goofy awkward dadbod, duck walking, ass poking out, sandal wearing wierdo lol must be murrican
I'm afraid you're gonna be waiting for a long long time.

I really dislike ben so much, however my mind is telling me this is an easy win for him, however I do think he is overrated and will lose soon enough, matchups make fights and I think this is a bad one for Jorge, hopefully I am wrong.

Back