Ben Askren Roasted by Daniel Cormier

“Listen, I love Ben, he’s my boy, but I don’t know,” Cormier said. “There was a point that I was scared — I was like ‘Ben’s about to be a world champion.’ He was undefeated, he beat Robbie Lawler. I was [thinking]: ‘This dude’s about to be a world champion and he doesn’t even know how to fight.’"

YyslyNA.gif

“He was out there with Demian Maia. I’ve seen Demian Maia fight for like 15 years, and I’ve never seen him out-strike somebody like that. Dude’s just out-striking Ben Askren.”

source.gif

vF7rVgt.gif

Cormier was then asked why he didn’t offer to help Askren develop his striking.

“He doesn’t listen,” he laughed. “Ben knows everything.”

giphy.webp
Man, that askren highlight reel you put up is pure comedy goldddd

I don't think a guy who cried live in front of tens of thousands of people after getting KO'd by Jon's chicken leg should be throwing stones. Glass house and all that.

Askren gonna return and put Marty Fakenewsman to sleep.

We could argue back and fourth on this but Herb checked on him and he was limp as fuck. You have no clue how the body will respond in a moment where someone JUST goes out or is on the verge of blacking out in a moment like that.
What fight did you watch? Herb checked his arm and Robbie litterally pulled away and gave him the thumbs up. If his arm dropped while Herb checked him there would be ZERO controversy.

What fight did you watch? Herb checked his arm and Robbie litterally pulled away and gave him the thumbs up. If his arm dropped while Herb checked him there would be ZERO controversy.
I didn't see that. Ben had him in a really bad spot. Robbie did pop after, but he also let his arm go limp. If Ben could take all those shots and still get Robbie down, I don't know how Robbie was getting out of that bad situation. But it was a great stylistic match up. I'd love to see a rematch. Both guys are g2g in my book.

Fake ass cormier as usual... always giving backhanded compliments.

"I love this dude", then proceeds to insult his whole career.

I don't even like askren.

Don't you know? You can say whatever you want and still be considered "classy" and "a great guy" as long as you say "I respect him a lot, but" or something of the sort before your insult.

Ben's a one dimensional fighter with a good chin and good heart. That one dimension is good/great, but he has some of the worst striking I've ever seen and he has no power. So I get what DC is saying. This thread just seems like an excuse for Jones ass eaters to bash DC.

I never understood why Askren didn't learn striking. I saw the video interview of him just before he started MMA. He said he wasn't good at striking. Many wrestlers became good strikers. I don't think he even tried. So weird. If he had, maybe he could have been WW Cormier -- or champ.

Back