Ben Askren at No-Gi worlds

I would just like to confess my man-crush for Kenny from MD right now. His posts are top notch newbie ass kicking.

Not to mention his last name is ridiculously cool.

Carry on...

Man i would just love for him to go out and in his first match a purple, shake hands and jump guard and start working his actual BJJ>

Would be priceless and a statement!@!!!:icon_twis:cool:

Why is he even doing this tourney? He's got the Bellator chapionship belt right? Seems like a waste of time and a risk he should avoid.

He wants his BJJ game to get better. He can test his BJJ mettle and see what techniques and holes he needs to fix in his game. Its not like Askren is a god of grappling. His wrestling is godly but his BJJ still needs some work. He is certain to get the take down on everyone there but everyone in his division will most likely just sit and play guard. Who knows maybe Askren wants to work his bottom game and pull guard.

Man i would just love for him to go out and in his first match a purple, shake hands and jump guard and start working his actual BJJ>

Would be priceless and a statement!@!!!:icon_twis:cool:

In his last fight he got reversed and ended up on bottom, and actually went for a nice armbar from his guard. I would assume that since he's actually training BJJ, and is a purple belt, his guard is probably at a purple belt level.

He is a purple belt so he should be completing at purple...simple as that.

In his last fight he got reversed and ended up on bottom, and actually went for a nice armbar from his guard. I would assume that since he's actually training BJJ, and is a purple belt, his guard is probably at a purple belt level.

Yeah, i think it would be awesome and smart if he explored the bottom game a bit in these tournies.

He definitely should be a favorite at Purple. This will be fun to watch, can't wait to go.

Yeah, i think it would be awesome and smart if he explored the bottom game a bit in these tournies.

I guess...it depends on how much stock he puts in the tourney. If he's in it to win it, then he should absolutely never pull guard. He's an Olympic wrestler. He should take guys down and work to pass if he wants to try and get the gold. And in that case he should just work his bottom game in the gym.

If he's just doing the tourney for the hell of it or to stay active, and feels comfortable messing around and testing his guard in a competition environment, then who am I to say he shouldn't. But I always look at it as you use your A game in competition. Work your weaknesses in the gym.

Just checked and Askren is official registered for the purple belt meio-pesado division.

Wouldn't be surprised if he loses to someone who pulls guard and earns a couple of advantages for submission attempts from their back. His passing is kind of loose for sport BJJ and a lot of his scrambles and reversals, though awesome, are non-scoring.

He is a purple belt so he should be completing at purple...simple as that.

wait, I think I follow. BUT, if he were a brown belt, would he still compete at purple? Fuck, I got lost in your formula, please halp.

Wouldn't be surprised if he loses to someone who pulls guard and earns a couple of advantages for submission attempts from their back. His passing is kind of loose for sport BJJ and a lot of his scrambles and reversals, though awesome, are non-scoring.

Good point.

So Askren lost his first fight then? Let this be a lesson to all you dorks crying about how "unfair" it was that he competed at his own belt level... let instructors do their job, and start training harder instead of whining.

^ Nice Kenny.

Askren apparently lost 0-0 by advantages.

This could be wrong.

Yep exactly what happened, he lost to Sinistro Itturalde of Alliance. This guy has an amazing guard and is a pretty successful competitor

Yep exactly what happened, he lost to Sinistro Itturalde of Alliance. This guy has an amazing guard and is a pretty successful competitor

that's the greatest name ever

that's the greatest name ever

Yeah it is! But thats actually his nickname, his real name is Francisco Iturralde. He fights out of Alliance Ecaudor, his brother is a pretty good blackbelt too

Back