Belt tests?

NEwrestler said:
stuff like that seems dumb to me,that means gettin brown you would have to do 40 subs from top and guard,but knowing a bunch of moves isnt as good as bein good at like 2-4 from each position that u can pull on anyone,i dont agree with belt tests
You are not going to use 40 different subs when you are sparring or competing, but the test is designed to test your knowledge of BJJ. The real killer part of the test is the Round Robin (21 minutes for Brown Belt). you get a fresh guy on you every 30 sec. and they are coming at you 100%.

We have a student that recently received his Brown Belt. He is able to consistently submit opponents from any position at anytime. Watching this guy roll is very impressive. He has submissions that you won't even see coming until it's too late (even against well experienced guys).

I do understand what you are saying, having 2-4 solid submissions is great. Where knowing numerous other subs come into play is when you need to flow from one attempt to the next against your opponent when they are defending well or you can't set up for one of your bread & butter subs. I have had times when I will catch a guy with something that I hardly ever use, but because I know that sub it may pop into my head when I'm in a position for it.

Back