Belt test tomorrow...very nervous

3s_em1

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Last week my trainer asked me to come in on an "off day" for me. I normally train Gi only although I originally started No-Gi. He matched me up with a buddy of mine who is very good (no-gi only). Told us to go for 10 minutes. We ended up going for 10-12 minutes and only stopped because I got a leg cramp. After the match, he told me to make sure I showed up on Monday because I was going to be testing for my blue belt (I know, big shit to some). I am completely confortable with my Gi game but I am nervous as hell about this. I never expected to be told "hey you will test next week". Is this the norm? I am sure I will do fine, i just dont want to cave under the pressure of the "test" and forget things that I know. I orginally got into BJJ for the fitness aspect. I never intended to compete or test for belts. But here I am, stressing. I have to quit being a pussy

Hey Man,

If your instructor has asked you to test, than you are ready (unless of course your instuctor is an ass and simply wants to see his students fail:icon_chee)

The hard work is done. If your instructor has asked you to test, that he (i assume it is a he) is confident in your abilities, and so should you.

Just show up, be confident in your abilities...and you will do fine...

And hopefully by the end of the day you will have a nice shiney new blue belt!

testing? weird.. my place we get surpised with stripes/belts when he thinks we reached that level.

take your instructor a muffin basket, everyone likes one of those.

As stated before, this should pretty much be a formality. It is at my school. We go through techniques then I'd roll with the three most senior people in class then roll with the instructor.

After it is all done they all huddle together and try to act like they are evaluating you. Then the instructor comes over and tells me well it was close, you almost didn't make it. Then they take off the old belt, everyone else takes off their belts and the instructor start whipping you with the new belt and everyone else takes a shot at you with theirs. It's homo-erotic behavior at it's best.

So don't worry about it.

Good luck mate, bring some Aloe Vera, your back will sting after the whipping :p

Thanks guys. Should I take a camera? (j/k)

testing? weird.. my place we get surpised with stripes/belts when he thinks we reached that level.

same, and we don't really do it by testing, but by when our instructor thinks we are ready, and we prove it through medaling in comps

take your instructor a muffin basket, everyone likes one of those.

As stated before, this should pretty much be a formality. It is at my school. We go through techniques then I'd roll with the three most senior people in class then roll with the instructor.

After it is all done they all huddle together and try to act like they are evaluating you. Then the instructor comes over and tells me well it was close, you almost didn't make it. Then they take off the old belt, everyone else takes off their belts and the instructor start whipping you with the new belt and everyone else takes a shot at you with theirs. It's homo-erotic behavior at it's best.

So don't worry about it.

Hehehehehe,good to know its the same way out of Brasil,too.I think the only difference is the number of fighters to spank you.By the time I get my blue belt,the gym was packed with 50 to 60 mean MTFrs...bad shit.

Wait - so he brought you in to watch you roll and then asked you to come another day to test?

I dont get this testing culture at all. I can see it for kids as it helps them solidify things but not for adults.

From what I heard, he wanted to test my cardio last week. He is big on that. We have to be able to last. As far as stripes, he gives those out after class (open mat).

From what I heard, he wanted to test my cardio last week. He is big on that. We have to be able to last. As far as stripes, he gives those out after class (open mat).

The year I did my blue belt test, we had to do a compulsary fitness exam.

best advice i can offer is to relax. if he's testing you thaqt means he already thinks you're ready. just relax and do your thing

just relax you will do better than you think if you relax and approach it in a calm manor good luck

I'll be leaving to the gym in about 1.5 hours. I'll update a bit later.

Where do you train?

I'll be leaving to the gym in about 1.5 hours. I'll update a bit later.

Good luck man...

Just to let you know...if you get your blue strap...it comes with all sorts of new powers! :icon_chee

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back