Belt stripes...how?

DMcKayBJJ

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I'm a white belt for a while now, at a BJJ school that doesn't use stripes. But I was wondering...how do you put stripes on the black part of your belt? (My white belt doesn't even HAVE a part for stripes)...

Sorry if this is too much of a noob question...flame away if you'd like...

I thought only black belts actually had a "part" for stripes, and even that is only in BBJ, or at least that is my impression. Most other systems just sow gold stripes into the black belt.

My white belt has the black part for stripes (Krugans) - however we don't use them.

Krugans, Gameness the colored HCK and brazilian brand belts have the black ranking bars.

www.SSFgear.com

our belts at renzos have black promotion bars and we use white tape on them

scorcho said:
I thought only black belts actually had a "part" for stripes, and even that is only in BBJ, or at least that is my impression. Most other systems just sow gold stripes into the black belt.
Every belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu has a total of four stripes until black belt wich has 7,then you go black and red 8 degree, then red @9 and 10 degree. At least thats how the Gracie's do it.

The best tape is the medical water-proof kind. But since you're not the one putting the tape on you get what you get. but I guess you could always change it.

SSF said:
Krugans, Gameness the colored HCK and brazilian brand belts have the black ranking bars.

www.SSFgear.com
Hey Ron, Why does HCK put white stripes on the ends of the black bars on their belts?
Those are professor bars intended for the black belt level.

Sew a black sleeve at then end of your belt or buy a belt with one already on.

Interesting. I never knew that. Thanks for the info.

DMcKayBJJ said:
I'm a white belt for a while now, at a BJJ school that doesn't use stripes. But I was wondering...how do you put stripes on the black part of your belt? (My white belt doesn't even HAVE a part for stripes)...

Sorry if this is too much of a noob question...flame away if you'd like...

The stripes on the black part of the belt are normally used to differentiate the fighters when they

at my school we just put duck tape on it and the color doesn't matter,

and my instructor is 6th degree black belt from Brazil so it should be pretty legit.

White athletic tape. Sometimes it falls off and then you put it back on.

Eric O said:
White athletic tape. Sometimes it falls off and then you put it back on.
Exactly, it works great.

Forgot to mention that I used to like this method when I was a blue belt, it was really stimulating to receive one more stripe, and it made me train harder. Instead of receiving a new belt after a couple of years, it was always a boost, recognition for all the hard training in a shorter period.

it's gotta have a lot to do withhow long the ranking in bjj takes. I just got my first stripe and I'm stoked and training even harder now. But I know it will be at least a year or 2 before I get my blue. So it's a great motivator... White athletic tape does the trick just fine, but if your feelin real fancy you could sew on a piece of white cloth.

it's gotta have a lot to do withhow long the ranking in bjj takes. I just got my first stripe and I'm stoked and training even harder now. But I know it will be at least a year or 2 before I get my blue. So it's a great motivator... White athletic tape does the trick just fine, but if your feelin real fancy you could sew on a piece of white cloth.

what the heck, come on buddy 6 years

We use black stripes for white belts. Higher belts have the black part for white stripes.

Back