belt promotion after wins

You friend might have one a tournament but that doesnt mean he knows bjj.

Especialy if he has been doing catch for 2.5 years. He can pull off subs other people havent seen.. but he is not playing the game like a bjj guy.

Bjj knowledge = bjj belts. Not Catch knowledge = bjj belts.

Keep training youll get the belts when you deserve them.. There is such a long time between belts.. dont even thinka bout it.. I think once you get your blue youll realize.. the belts come.. most of the time when you think your not ready.

I'd rather be a lower belt and better than a higher belt and so-so.
That's just me.

private ryan said:
i got one stripe and he got two added today at training.
he was dissapointed!
i couldnt give a shit.
i had a good role with two blue belts then got tooled by a purple.
good times.

The best reason I ever heard for wanting to get a blue belt in BJJ was so that when you told people that you'd been training jiu jitsu for about a year and were a "white belt" they wouldn't look at you funny ... :eek:

Seriously, most people I know would rather get their blue belts later than sooner ... As long as you are learning, what's the rush?

i have been taking bjj for almost 9 months and i haven't even thought about a belt yet..... i don't care if i ever get a belt its just fun to learn

Frodo said:
Do you want the skillz or do you want the belt?

true, the jiu jitsu skills are more important. But my point is, I have them right now.

I'm not sweating it by any means, its just something that has pooped in my mind.

I'm a white belt 2 stripe. I've been in two tournaments and placed 3rd in the one and 2nd in the other. I have been training for 11 months and will be competing again next month. Hopefully I will take 1st this time but no guarntees that will give me any more of a promotion. So I say dont worry about it.

Gsoares2 said:
You friend might have one a tournament but that doesnt mean he knows bjj.

Especialy if he has been doing catch for 2.5 years. He can pull off subs other people havent seen.. but he is not playing the game like a bjj guy.

Bjj knowledge = bjj belts. Not Catch knowledge = bjj belts.

This I disagree with. BJJ has incorporated a lot of catch, at least around here. We are not very dogmatic and emphasize that different people do techniques differently.

That said, BJJ has more subs than Catch, or at least BJJ fighters train subs from more positions than what I know of Catch (again, around here at least). So a 2.5 year catch wrestler may not be a purple belt or whatnot, but he night be a blue belt.

It really isn't hard to be a blue belt. I was promoted twice to blue - the first time it was just rolling for 30 minutes with a fresh guy every 1 minute in addition to an evaluation rolling with the instructor. The second time (at a different place) it involved doing 2 moves from both the inferior and superior position in guard, mount, side control, back mount, and 2 throws. There was some rolling, but not nearly that much.

IMHO it is partly a political thing depending on the place. You have to get noticed by your instructor if you want to be promoted quickly. If he doesn't know who you are then he can't evaluate you, of course. This is a pity, but it is how it is. Not all places are like that (the first time I got a blue it wasn't political) but some are (the second time I wasn't supposed to test, but he told me to test after I was promoted at the first place).

Oktavius said:
Your forgot the most important one - how many seminars from the visiting head coach have you paid for...

That's so true. I'm starting to be disappointed by this system. I understand why bjj wants to limit the number of people handing out belts so that the art maintains it's integrity. But to someone who might not be familiar with bjj, handing out promotions at expensive seminars looks more like buying a belt than how most McDojo's are run. I know I'll have to go to at least 5 seminars or privates to get to blue, at $55-75 each that's $275 - $375 for my blue on top of the monthly fees and a few privates thrown in at $100 each.

Not to mention it basically slows down the promotion of people who train more often and progress faster than the average person since the bb only comes to town about 3 times a year I'm guaranteed that it will take at least 1.5 years.

Oktavius said:
Your forgot the most important one - how many seminars from the visiting head coach have you paid for...

Haha.. exactly.

I attend many different places for judo and BJJ, and everyone does it differently.

A college, the judo class is for a credit, and at the end of the semester (3 months) you get promoted typically one step. The instructor is a pretty good ninth dan. During the test we had to demonstrate various moves. The promotion fee costs $50.

Over the summer at the same judo instructor's dojo, I was promoted after a month and a half and it cost nothing. He just handed me the belt without much of a test. I only had to pay for classes at the dojo.

I do BJJ at an affiliate school of a well-known black belt. There are many rules. Only the black belt is allowed to promote colored ranks - the testing fee is $50. You have to attend his seminar when testing too - cost $70. You also are required to have 4 stripes on your belt in order to be promoted to the next color - $20 each. Each stripe is given for 25 hours on the mat at that school when a white belt, so it can take a year or longer typically. The test was similar to the judo test with some limited rolling. Total price: $200 plus 100 classes.

I also do BJJ at a club at the University. We are lucky yo have a pretty good brown belt instruct us for free. After a month he promoted me to blue belt too. The test involved rolling for 30 minutes straight with a fresh opponent every 1 minute. However it cost me absolutely nothing at all.

I've never heard of the "you have to attend privates" thing before. Weird.

1 stripe per 25 hours mat time? I guess it depends on how many classes the school offers and how many you can attend, but at that rate I would be a blue belt in about 5 months. Counting mat hours is much better than just keeping track of how long you've been training because some people make it to a lot more classes than others.

I don't necessarily have to take privates, but it helps and I got one of my stripes at a private.

Back