belt promotion after wins

P

private ryan

just a quick question me and my buddy have both been doing bjj for a few months now.
3-4 months at most. my buddy can only make saturday training because he is going for his black belt in jkd.
he also has been doing eric paulson submission wrestling for about 2.5 years and i did it for a year.
we both competed in the london open.
i did shite and he got silver in the lightweight division.
the guy who got bronze is from our gracie barra and he was a white belt 4 stripe.
the first night back at training he was bumped up to a blue.
we are both still white belt no stripes and he was wondering when hes gonna see some promotion.
im seeing him in 7 hours for training so i was wondering for any advice?
cheers

Ask the instructor, if anything. He's the one who'd give the promotions, not us.

im just asking for opinions and experience.
not a blue belt.

thats a really subjective question depends on the coach i've seen schools hand out blue belts within 6 months and others that usually promote around the 1.5 - 2 year mark even though the student was regular to classes 3-4 times a week

Are you really worried about belts? You shouldn't be. Wear a white belt all the time, then beat up on a purple. Thats always fun, well...I enjoy it.

im not worried at all about belts.
im 26 and past the ego stage thing.
my buddy has just turned 19 and is keen on mma and competitions and is always worried about how hes doing.
he was just saying to me that he was curious what is he if he is getting high places in comps. the guy who just got his blue started training in january.

Yea, don't worry too much about your belt. Your instructor is probably looking for more than a once a week committment before promoting your friend.

i got one stripe and he got two added today at training.
he was dissapointed!
i couldnt give a shit.
i had a good role with two blue belts then got tooled by a purple.
good times.

I want my blue belt because I'm sure it'd be awesome to get one and it shows the progress and skills I have but I don't really mind becuase I know that I have a long ways to go (training for about 6 months) and also, it doesn't really matter what belt you are. I just like to go and learn and roll.

dont rush it.
i have been a blue belt for 4 years, it doesnt matter.
i think he is getting stripes according to what he knows with the gi, so, he will probably need more time with the same instructor to get to blue.
how does he do when he rolls with blue belts?
you can do good in tournaments, but still lack the techniques to actually be a blue belt.
he needs to be incouraged , he got stripes , so othe instructor recognizes he has gotten better, he should not be dissappointed- that could lead to frustration on the mats

to be honest i wanna stay a white belt for as long as possible and do as many comps as possible.
fuck being bumped up to blue in less than a year with only one comp under my belt.

look winning turnament's ain't enough, the instructor want's to be sure and make sure that you know some stuff before promoting you just becouse you always win. Many things are considered in a Belt promotion... Experience, how you do against other belts, how you do in competitions, weight, strenght, how long you been training.

ARIS said:
look winning turnament's ain't enough, the instructor want's to be sure and make sure that you know some stuff before promoting you just becouse you always win. Many things are considered in a Belt promotion... Experience, how you do against other belts, how you do in competitions, weight, strenght, how long you been training.

dude its not me im talking about.

ARIS said:

Weight, strength?

if it was about weight and strength im 210lbs and an ex strongman competitor.

ARIS said:

Your forgot the most important one - how many seminars from the visiting head coach have you paid for...

question then....

what if a white belt can pretty much tap all of the other whites in the class, as well as some blues? I know this is all subjective and varies from place to place.

For some reason when I heard my instructor say that you generally have to train bjj for a year to 2 years, I got a little discouraged. If I can tap all the whites and some blues, I feel like I am on a blue belt level.

zizack said:
question then....

what if a white belt can pretty much tap all of the other whites in the class, as well as some blues? I know this is all subjective and varies from place to place.

For some reason when I heard my instructor say that you generally have to train bjj for a year to 2 years, I got a little discouraged. If I can tap all the whites and some blues, I feel like I am on a blue belt level.

Do you want the skillz or do you want the belt?

How cheeky is it to ask for promotion? Because my dojo have the problem now that our headcoach can't come as often as we would like and when he has come in lately he has prmototed to other fella because the act as the coach in his abscenes, the thing is that I smoke one of them regulary he does not no and can instruct more techniques than me. The first fella is deservedly a few steps above the rest of the class, 20 odd years of wrestling and 5 years of JJJ does that, but I hang with him pretty good. This other fella is an "adult" (I am 22) and helps with other stuff around the club so I feel that he gets promoted before me based on that.

Back