News Bellator 286: Pitbull vs Borics & Mckee vs Carlyle - October 1st

This obviously a mistake, right? AJ isnt fighting Carlyle. It has to be typo or something.

...Spike Carlyle? I don't even know what Bellator is thinking sometimes. You want AJ in and around the title picture.... why the fuck give him someone who's unranked in his debut? Myles Jury unavailable I guess. Outlaw, Primus, even Shabily since he's not getting the title shot. I think the fight in and of itself is okay but it just makes no sense when thinking about the big picture.

...Spike Carlyle? I don't even know what Bellator is thinking sometimes. You want AJ in and around the title picture.... why the fuck give him someone who's unranked in his debut? Myles Jury unavailable I guess. Outlaw, Primus, even Shabily since he's not getting the title shot. I think the fight in and of itself is okay but it just makes no sense when thinking about the big picture.
Spike is only unranked bc he has only 1 fight in bellator, he should be above myles and peter queally. I think its a good combination of the safest and toughest fight for him. I think he'll need at least 2 fights before a title shot minimum, so if he wins this then maybe a title contender fight but theres a lot of guys vying for that title shot now since patricky has been inactive

I see nothing wrong with the matchup. Spike is well rounded has almost equal amount of KO/TKO's to submissions in wins which makes him a good match for AJ's first fight at LW. It will either end up in a highlight reel KO for AJ or a decision win. A goof fight for AJ to decide if he remains at LW or stay at FW. Why risk putting him against a top 5 LW and risk having him lose which would drastically lower his ranking even in the FW division.

AJ never signed a new contract did he? What if he's said this is his last fight for them? At least this way it's not like he goes out after bagging one of their contenders.

AJ never signed a new contract did he? What if he's said this is his last fight for them? At least this way it's not like he goes out after bagging one of their contenders.
That's somewhat reasonable but if I was Bellator and he's planning to leave I don't give him a fight he should win. I give him Alex Shabily or whoever from Tofiq/Usman doesn't get the title shot.

That's somewhat reasonable but if I was Bellator and he's planning to leave I don't give him a fight he should win. I give him Alex Shabily or whoever from Tofiq/Usman doesn't get the title shot.

I think that's a bit short sighted though. It'd be a tough fight but there's a decent chance AJ beats those guys.

Interesting match up for McKee. I'll take him getting a slick sub

I think that's a bit short sighted though. It'd be a tough fight but there's a decent chance AJ beats those guys.
Sure, but there's an even bigger chance he beats Spike. My point is idk why from the promotion's perspective you would do him a favor on the way out. If he beats the tough challenge so be it. This fight just doesn't feel appropriate for AJ at this particular moment in his career.

Sure, but there's an even bigger chance he beats Spike. My point is idk why from the promotion's perspective you would do him a favor on the way out. If he beats the tough challenge so be it. This fight just doesn't feel high stakes enough.

It's not really doing him a favour, it's protecting your own stars. Especially with Usman for example, if they're planning him as the future of 155 it looks bad if AJ beats him then bolts. If it is the case (I'm not sure it is tbf) then if he beats Spike then that's an ex-UFC fighter who's lost to UFC fighters anyway.

Spike is only unranked bc he has only 1 fight in bellator, he should be above myles and peter queally. I think its a good combination of the safest and toughest fight for him. I think he'll need at least 2 fights before a title shot minimum, so if he wins this then maybe a title contender fight but theres a lot of guys vying for that title shot now since patricky has been inactive
Technically he is 2-0 in Bellator, I am assuming that his bout against Takeda in Rizin while under contract with Bellator counts

Don't love this fight for AJ especially if it is the last fight before he hits the open market.

Spike is a "kill or be killed" fighter that will look to drag the methodical and more calculated McKee into a firefight. Definitely raises the variance for AJ.

Pitbull/Borics is cooll but the AJ/Spike fight is whatever.

I get what people are saying above, maybe this is last or second to last fight for AJ and Bellator is just like if you dont resign we'll give you tough but not big name fights on your way out. Not gonna help you or let you beat top guys and bolt.

Wow that came out of left field. Count me in though. Borics vs Pitbull is an incredible fight. Spike is a dog he won’t make it easy for AJ.
Spike has never been finished in his career, both professional and amateur. It's gonna be a brawl so hopefully AJ's cardio issues are better with the move up to LW

I'm glad they made Patricio vs Borics and not the trilogy vs AJ

I understand why they gave him Spike. Coker won't put him anywhere near title until he signs a new contract
With the way things are shaking out at LW with Usman and Shabliy and Tofiq, AJ might be better suited to finish out this contract and bolt for UFC. I don’t know if I ever see him beating Usman. I think Coker is going to give him some tough matchups before he goes though. Spike is no joke. He will make this a dog fight.

Back