Being stubborn = nerve damage?

pSyKOaLby

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Well... I just found out from the doctor that I have nerve damage on the left side of my body. Right when I heard that I realized it's probably from being stubborn about not tapping so easily to armbars and triangles. I also realized that when my left arm tends to get caught that I usually look for ways out and fight it through instead of tapping out. Now I can't grapple or do muay thai for about.... a long ass time. Pretty frustrating..... Anybody else ever have this problem?

That sucks, I havn't really had nerve damage i almost broke my arm once though, the guy had a tight armbar on me and i was fighting it, then i heard my elbow like pop but i escaped it. It ended up he just popped my elbow he didn't break it luckily.

I've had the same exact problem that you have. I had nerve entrapment at the elbow for my Ulnar nerves (funny bone nerve) on both sides. It got to the point where I started to lose feeling on both my pinky and ring fingers. I went to a neurologist and he confirmed it thru nerve conduction tests that it was at the bend of my elbows. Basically, since I'm a PT, I firgured out that the ligaments in my elbows are loose and the nerves are easily irritated because of it (probably because of resisting armbars). Also, I do a lot of guard sweeps where I'm on my elbows a lot. I took a break for about 4 months (this was in Oct of 2003. When I came back, there were still residual problems. It didn't really get 100%. Now it's about 90-95%. Lesson here: avoid getting into armbars. The other lesson is tap quick.

Oh yeah I forgot. Nerve Problems take a looooooooooooooooooooooooong ass time to heal.

people crack me up......seriously. All these guys taking training so seriouly and "fighting through" subs. I wonder when people will learn that it just doesn't matter what happens in training. Even if you are actually competing, you should not risk a torn rotator cuff by fighting a kimura to the very end.

I had a training partner who was the same way. He would always try to fight through subs and never wanted to tap. Well one day i had him in an inside heel hook and he wasn't tapping....so i kept cranking and finally he tapped. After that he couldn't train for 8 weeks b/c of a badly sprained knee. I had the sub on tight and he knew it, yet he refused to tap.

Some people just have to learn the hard way.

greasemonkey said:
That sucks, I havn't really had nerve damage i almost broke my arm once though, the guy had a tight armbar on me and i was fighting it, then i heard my elbow like pop but i escaped it. It ended up he just popped my elbow he didn't break it luckily.

I've let people go rather than break their arm but most at my club probably wouldn't, especially in competition.

S.D.Force said:
people crack me up......seriously. All these guys taking training so seriouly and "fighting through" subs.

Your post should be rammed into every newbie's head.

Just tap for f**ks sake. If the top fighters in the world can do it, so can you.

S.D.Force said:
people crack me up......seriously. All these guys taking training so seriouly and "fighting through" subs. I wonder when people will learn that it just doesn't matter what happens in training. Even if you are actually competing, you should not risk a torn rotator cuff by fighting a kimura to the very end.

I had a training partner who was the same way. He would always try to fight through subs and never wanted to tap. Well one day i had him in an inside heel hook and he wasn't tapping....so i kept cranking and finally he tapped. After that he couldn't train for 8 weeks b/c of a badly sprained knee. I had the sub on tight and he knew it, yet he refused to tap.

Hmm.. although I see your point, I think what you did was quite fucked up.

S.D.Force said:
people crack me up......seriously. All these guys taking training so seriously. I wonder when people will learn that it just doesn't matter what happens in training.

you're right people take training way too seriously

Well one day i had him in an inside heel hook and he wasn't tapping....so i kept cranking and finally he tapped. I had the sub on tight and he knew it, yet he refused to tap.

it could be argued you're the one who took training too seriously by cranking a heelhook when both of you knew it was on tight. this statement is inconsistent with the first.

Some people just have to learn the hard way

who's taking training too seriously? you could have let it go in the knowledge that you got him.

Sorry to hear about the nerve damage man.

I don't understand why people are so afraid to tap. You got caught, so what. I mean, its one thing to fight out of a sub, but if it

Tap in training. You should not have a big ego on the mat.

A real fight is a different matter entirely.

Soid said:
Hmm.. although I see your point, I think what you did was quite fucked up.

Not tapping means that the other guy doesn't feel it is on. Gradually applying more pressure gives him the time to realize that is not the case. He has taken responsibility for his own joints in this case and if he misjudges may pay with a (typically minor) injury. Releasing early can lead to two problems:
1) not learning to tap will lead to a major injury
2) not learning to finish difficult opponents is a hole in your game (i.e. St Pierre vs Miller in UFC)

This is distinctly different than a "grab and yank" style of submission.

How about just tap. TAP TAP TAP.

The best tap is the one where you know you're caught and you tap before the pain. I was lucky enough when I started to have a trainer who would catch, hold and control me. He'd let me try an escape but when I knew my options were exhausted I tapped. But the good thing was, he gave me time as opposed to cranking the shit outta my limbs. Just tap, no one's going to think any less of you, it's part of the game and it's just training.

Train hard, fight easy. If you're injured you can't even train at all.

You guys need to learn to tap.. who cares if you get out of armbar now and again.. You need to realize when a guy is better then you and just try to learn why.. make your technique better, dont injur you self trying to escape.

Fight postion, dont fight submissions...

If you train enough you should see armbars comming. I can't even remember the last time someone had a serious attempt at an armbar on me.

If you get caught tap. For god's sake its just training.

Yes definitley should tap. I remeber when I frst started I'd sometimes avoid the tap and try to escape till the very last second; not because I didn't want my pride hurt but I just wanted the fight to keep going.

So instead of doign that now...I just tap and leave off where we started. For example the guy has side control on me and gets a keylock...i tap, and then proceed to start off where we left off..with him in sidemount. I think this works well because they guy on top now says Alrihgt i got the keylock now ill try to work a side choke, while the guy on bottom still tries to escape.

Win/Win situation i feel, and the matches will go on forever.

Eric O said:
If you train enough you should see armbars comming. I can't even remember the last time someone had a serious attempt at an armbar on me.

Pretty ignornat comment to say. I take it you never watched Sakuraba.

Not all locks work the same on everyone some people are VERY flexible and can fight it and dont tap b/c they are NOT in pain, mabey others in the class are, but they arent, some people arent always trying to prove how bad ass they are but it honestly dosent affect them at the point it does others. I say this b/c I seem to be a little more flexible than the average person adn dont tap al lthe time when somone else would of, but it's b/c it's not putting the correct pressure and or pain on/to me. But when it does I will tap right away.

Colby18 said:
Pretty ignornat comment to say. I take it you never watched Sakuraba.

OH STFU. Don't edit out parts of my posts and then critique them you :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:. I'll stomp your face in.

I understand what you all mean about tapping during training and all. The thing is I don't try to get out of or fight through a submission because I have an ego (which only comes into play during Muay Thai), but it's mostly because I tend to and have gotten pretty good at fighting submissions when they come. I know this is going to sound stupid but about 1.5 years ago I used to purposely expose my left arm (the one now with damaged nerves) to the guy just to practice rolling out of armbars and such. I guess I got pretty good at it but the damage seems to have accumulated over time. Sigh... the stupidity of me. Also, two of my friends that I grapple with are bigger than me and weigh about 200 pounds. They tend to go for neck cranks and head locks pretty hard but I always fought them through, which might further explain the nerve damage. I feel so retarded just typing this out.

Eric O said:
OH STFU. Don't edit out parts of my posts and then critique them you :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:. I'll stomp your face in.

LOL I like that. I told someone yesterday that I wanted to take my knee and smash their face in. And he didn't say SHEEEEEEEEEEEEET!!!!!!!

Back