Being choked out (merged threads)

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by shermanguy, Aug 27, 2005.

1. shermanguy

shermanguy Yellow Belt

If you have been choked out, how did you feel afterwards? I got choked out once and didn't feel right for hours aftwards. Headache and kind of naseous.

BUT, I read about these stupid kids doing the "choking game" (you can search for that in the forums, I remember posting a CNN article on it) about kids choking each other on purpose so that they can get a tingly, oxygen-deprived feeling. Is that the more normal way to feel after getting choked?

2. Ybot

Ybot Purple Belt

When I woke up thats how I felt. Tingly, not completely oriented for a minute or two, but had no ill effect afterwards.

3. Dedicado

Dedicado Machetero

I feel like I have just woken up from a dream. Weird, eh?

4. Ybot

Ybot Purple Belt

Yeah, it was like waking up from a refresching sleep. I think I even drowled on the mat. At first I just couldn't figure out why I was asleep at jiu-jitsu, but then thought back and remember trying to tap and when he didn't let go I remember I was about to yell tap. It was a clock choke, and people watching said they thought I was tapping, but as I was reaching to tap he was circling away.

5. ColtonS

ColtonS Banned Banned

I feel really dizzy and need to chill for a few mins.

6. alexgncw

alexgncw Guest

after the first time it gets much easier i guess your body gets used to it so its not so much a shock i've been choked out 3 times and last time i woke up quite refreshed lol

7. Foolkiller

Foolkiller You have meddled with the primal forces of nature!

Part of the only one holistic system of systems
    Is this happening at your clubs in sparring or competition? If you guys are getting choked out at your clubs, you either have some team mates that don't actually like you or should realise the point is to tap and then make sure you don't end up in the same position to have to tap again. In all of my time training I've not passed out once. I don't plan to either becuase I prefer to kill my brain cells with beer on the weekend, which I personally find more tastier and enjoyable than being choked unconscious.

8. LCDforMe

LCDforMe Purple Belt

I was at my aunt's hosue the other day and she was telling me about that choking game crap. Kids are getting worse as time goes on.

I have yet to be choked out. I kind of would like to know though...

9. Bmonk**

Bmonk** Guest

Happened to me once.

I was rolling with someone who outweighed me by about 50 pounds and I him in a traingle. He put all his weight on me in attempt to stack me and started choking me.

I guess the combination of being stacked, and choked put me out faster than normal.

I remember everything going white, then all of a sudden, I was lying on my back, and he was saying "uhh... I think we have a problem here".

It felt like I had just woken up from a dream.

I felt weird for the next 10-15 minutes, but resumed practice as usual.

10. vanguard_anon

vanguard_anon Clever user title

I was rolling with a more experienced BJJ guy. He put a choke on me and I didn't even see it coming at first. I *thought* I tapped out but I'm not sure. In my head I tapped then kept grappling. I was trying to advance my position but the fact that everything had turned black was more like an odd curiosity than alarming. In my head, I was still going. When the lights came back on I immediatly went to a leg but realized it was the instructor who had come over to tap on my behalf (which I didn't know yet). As soon as I figured out that my opponents switched I stopped as asked what happened.

After learning that I was choked out I wanted to roll again right away. Everybody was looking at me but I felt fine. The instructor told me to take a seat. I said, "No, let's go. I'm fine."

He said, "There's nowhere to go, just take 5."

He was right. I had kind of a headache and felt a little less "with it" than normal. After 5-10 minutes I rolled again but on the drive home I battled a headache and really looked forward to sleeping it off.

11. Commissar

Commissar Gold Belt

I've been choked out a good deal of times.

It feels like you just woke up from sleeping. Then it slowly occurs to you the location and the time, but the actual event leaves your memory.

12. Commissar

Commissar Gold Belt

I don't think you were choked 'out' as much as simply oxegen deprived. You don't feel 'fine' after doing it, and you don't feel it.

13. ragefactor

ragefactor Yellow Belt

Sounds right to me

14. jpark4

jpark4 Yellow Belt

if you just started i'd say tap early, especially in armbars and stuff; it's not worth it to resist.
    -Jon

15. beatnick

beatnick White Belt

Last thursday we had judopractise and while we rolled rather easy l let him dig his hands behind my neck, real nice grab on that gi. It was a mather of 1 sec til l almost got unconcsious but l tapped instantly and he let go. A perfect murder choke l must say. After that l could barely continue due to dizzieness and rockiness.

16. ichimonji

ichimonji Blue Belt

sounds like you are more falling ill to dehydration. Its very common when you train and you might be thinking those bad feeling are from the choke.

try staying hydrated when you train and the chokes will effect you less.

17. jpark4

jpark4 Yellow Belt

that happens to me too, and it probably is from dehydration.
    -Jon

18. ClubberLange

ClubberLange Green Belt

19. satchmo

satchmo The Champ

I've only been choked out once, it was in a clock choke in a BJJ tournament. I rolled right into it, so it was extremely tight and I was out within 3-5 seconds. When I woke up it kind of felt like the light-headed, woozy feeling you get from drinking and it persisted for the next few hours.

20. TripVersion1

TripVersion1 Blue Belt

I just had my first experience blacking out today in class. I was in a guillotine in my opponents full guard, didnt feel any choking around my neck, but still blacked out for five seconds. I assume it was from the artery on the side of my neck being restricted. Im just curious if anyone wanted to share their experiences about the first time they were choked out in class, and if it had any effect on their game.