Being choked out (merged threads)

shermanguy

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
If you have been choked out, how did you feel afterwards? I got choked out once and didn't feel right for hours aftwards. Headache and kind of naseous.

BUT, I read about these stupid kids doing the "choking game" (you can search for that in the forums, I remember posting a CNN article on it) about kids choking each other on purpose so that they can get a tingly, oxygen-deprived feeling. Is that the more normal way to feel after getting choked?

When I woke up thats how I felt. Tingly, not completely oriented for a minute or two, but had no ill effect afterwards.

I feel like I have just woken up from a dream. Weird, eh?

Yeah, it was like waking up from a refresching sleep. I think I even drowled on the mat. At first I just couldn't figure out why I was asleep at jiu-jitsu, but then thought back and remember trying to tap and when he didn't let go I remember I was about to yell tap. It was a clock choke, and people watching said they thought I was tapping, but as I was reaching to tap he was circling away.

I feel really dizzy and need to chill for a few mins.

after the first time it gets much easier i guess your body gets used to it so its not so much a shock i've been choked out 3 times and last time i woke up quite refreshed lol

Is this happening at your clubs in sparring or competition? If you guys are getting choked out at your clubs, you either have some team mates that don't actually like you or should realise the point is to tap and then make sure you don't end up in the same position to have to tap again. In all of my time training I've not passed out once. I don't plan to either becuase I prefer to kill my brain cells with beer on the weekend, which I personally find more tastier and enjoyable than being choked unconscious.

I was at my aunt's hosue the other day and she was telling me about that choking game crap. Kids are getting worse as time goes on.

I have yet to be choked out. I kind of would like to know though...

Happened to me once.

I was rolling with someone who outweighed me by about 50 pounds and I him in a traingle. He put all his weight on me in attempt to stack me and started choking me.

I guess the combination of being stacked, and choked put me out faster than normal.

I remember everything going white, then all of a sudden, I was lying on my back, and he was saying "uhh... I think we have a problem here".

It felt like I had just woken up from a dream.

I felt weird for the next 10-15 minutes, but resumed practice as usual.

I was rolling with a more experienced BJJ guy. He put a choke on me and I didn't even see it coming at first. I *thought* I tapped out but I'm not sure. In my head I tapped then kept grappling. I was trying to advance my position but the fact that everything had turned black was more like an odd curiosity than alarming. In my head, I was still going. When the lights came back on I immediatly went to a leg but realized it was the instructor who had come over to tap on my behalf (which I didn't know yet). As soon as I figured out that my opponents switched I stopped as asked what happened.

After learning that I was choked out I wanted to roll again right away. Everybody was looking at me but I felt fine. The instructor told me to take a seat. I said, "No, let's go. I'm fine."

He said, "There's nowhere to go, just take 5."

He was right. I had kind of a headache and felt a little less "with it" than normal. After 5-10 minutes I rolled again but on the drive home I battled a headache and really looked forward to sleeping it off.

shermanguy said:
If you have been choked out, how did you feel afterwards? I got choked out once and didn't feel right for hours aftwards. Headache and kind of naseous.

BUT, I read about these stupid kids doing the "choking game" (you can search for that in the forums, I remember posting a CNN article on it) about kids choking each other on purpose so that they can get a tingly, oxygen-deprived feeling. Is that the more normal way to feel after getting choked?
I've been choked out a good deal of times.

It feels like you just woke up from sleeping. Then it slowly occurs to you the location and the time, but the actual event leaves your memory.

vanguard_anon said:
I was rolling with a more experienced BJJ guy. He put a choke on me and I didn't even see it coming at first. I *thought* I tapped out but I'm not sure. In my head I tapped then kept grappling. I was trying to advance my position but the fact that everything had turned black was more like an odd curiosity than alarming. In my head, I was still going. When the lights came back on I immediatly went to a leg but realized it was the instructor who had come over to tap on my behalf (which I didn't know yet). As soon as I figured out that my opponents switched I stopped as asked what happened.

After learning that I was choked out I wanted to roll again right away. Everybody was looking at me but I felt fine. The instructor told me to take a seat. I said, "No, let's go. I'm fine."

He said, "There's nowhere to go, just take 5."

He was right. I had kind of a headache and felt a little less "with it" than normal. After 5-10 minutes I rolled again but on the drive home I battled a headache and really looked forward to sleeping it off.
I don't think you were choked 'out' as much as simply oxegen deprived. You don't feel 'fine' after doing it, and you don't feel it.

Superbeast said:
Is this happening at your clubs in sparring or competition? If you guys are getting choked out at your clubs, you either have some team mates that don't actually like you or should realise the point is to tap and then make sure you don't end up in the same position to have to tap again. In all of my time training I've not passed out once. I don't plan to either becuase I prefer to kill my brain cells with beer on the weekend, which I personally find more tastier and enjoyable than being choked unconscious.

Sounds right to me

if you just started i'd say tap early, especially in armbars and stuff; it's not worth it to resist.
-Jon

Last thursday we had judopractise and while we rolled rather easy l let him dig his hands behind my neck, real nice grab on that gi. It was a mather of 1 sec til l almost got unconcsious but l tapped instantly and he let go. A perfect murder choke l must say. After that l could barely continue due to dizzieness and rockiness.

sounds like you are more falling ill to dehydration. Its very common when you train and you might be thinking those bad feeling are from the choke.

try staying hydrated when you train and the chokes will effect you less.

ichimonji said:
sounds like you are more falling ill to dehydration. Its very common when you train and you might be thinking those bad feeling are from the choke.

try staying hydrated when you train and the chokes will effect you less.
that happens to me too, and it probably is from dehydration.
-Jon

vanguard_anon said:
I *thought* I tapped out but I'm not sure. In my head I tapped then kept grappling.
I've done this before. You're lik- "I tapped though"
Everyone else- "no you didn't dude"
It's a spun out feeling.
The opposite's also happened. Where I don't remember tapping and think I've been choked out, but I must have tapped just as I was fading and not realised.

I've only been choked out once, it was in a clock choke in a BJJ tournament. I rolled right into it, so it was extremely tight and I was out within 3-5 seconds. When I woke up it kind of felt like the light-headed, woozy feeling you get from drinking and it persisted for the next few hours.

I just had my first experience blacking out today in class. I was in a guillotine in my opponents full guard, didnt feel any choking around my neck, but still blacked out for five seconds. I assume it was from the artery on the side of my neck being restricted. Im just curious if anyone wanted to share their experiences about the first time they were choked out in class, and if it had any effect on their game.

Back