Being choked out (merged threads)

It happened, but I was awake almost immediately and continued training. No big deal.

It did teach me that I should not wait in fighting a choke, but had to get out immediately.

If you want the sensation without actually being choked out you can: Bend over and touch your toes several times while breathing really heavy. Do this for about a minute or so then cross your arms in a X acorss your chest. Have a freind and I say friend beacuse he will need to make sure you dont crash to the mat. Have your friend bear hug you until you sleep he will need to squeeze tight araound your chest . You do feel tingly and you get the what the fuck happened thing going on. I do say be careful and use caution.

While you are at it, why don't you take part in other smart activities like rochambo?

Every time your brain is oxygen deprived, no matter for how short a period of time, your brain cells begin to die. Which may explain why kids do this and keep doing it; they are literally getting stupider every time they get a "rush" aka suffer mild brain damage.

By no means am I advocating going out and repeating the process that I stated earlier. I agree it is not something that anybody should be doing on purpose, but I think this maybe the closest thing to being choked out without actually being choked out. Tapping is always the smartest thing to do. I dont know about the whole "RUSH" thing being choked out fucking sucks no matter how its done.

first time i went out i got caught in a baseball bat choke and went out instantly. I woke up feeling like i was hung over. BUt it went away in about 10 minutes and i was fine

Superbeast said:
Every time your brain is oxygen deprived, no matter for how short a period of time, your brain cells begin to die.

Do you have a source that shows that a RNC (for example) causes oxygen deprivation to the brain?

Blood cells carry oxygen. When the blood flow to the brain is obstructed or severed, the brain cells, deprived of the materials (haemoglobin, oxygen, water) needed to maintain health, begin to die. It's the same deal as a blood clot but on a much smaller level, however being repeatedly subjected to any obrstructions will cause permanent damage. My source is my GP, Dr Sehmi who after I went in with fractured toes asked me how I got them. I explained how (achilles lock, toes under armpit) and what my hobby entailed. She then proceeded to advise me for ten minutes on the dangers of what I did. Considering she is a patient and caring doctor who is my family's GP and I am not, I feel it is safe to say she was not lying to me and trying to inform me for my own sake.

I've been choked unconcious twice. The first time, I didn't realize I was out and my training partner had released the choke while I was in his guard. I regained conciousness, didn't even realize I was out and resumed training from the same position as if nothing had happened. The second time was in a competition and when I awoke on my back in the middle of the mat, I thought I had just woken up from a dream...weird. Needless to say, I learned the defense against these two chokes and more...a learning experience which never happened again. I understand that the more you get choked unconcious, the more succeptable (lower resistance) you become to chokes - not a wise practice.

Superbeast said:
Blood cells carry oxygen. When the blood flow to the brain is obstructed or severed, the brain cells, deprived of the materials (haemoglobin, oxygen, water) needed to maintain health, begin to die. It's the same deal as a blood clot but on a much smaller level, however being repeatedly subjected to any obrstructions will cause permanent damage. My source is my GP, Dr Sehmi who after I went in with fractured toes asked me how I got them. I explained how (achilles lock, toes under armpit) and what my hobby entailed. She then proceeded to advise me for ten minutes on the dangers of what I did. Considering she is a patient and caring doctor who is my family's GP and I am not, I feel it is safe to say she was not lying to me and trying to inform me for my own sake.

It is quite refreshing to see something on this other than the wive's tales that are usually posted on this subject. I have been told that studies have been performed on the RNC and that they could find no lasting damage from being choked out. I once trained with a thoracic surgeon that researched the topic and found no ill effects. Apparently the arteries on the back of the neck are sufficient for the nutrient flow necessary to keep the brain alive.

Ya, it isnt so simple.

Lets take runnin. Theoretically speaking, your brain is knocking itself against the skull while doing it, coz the brain is floating around. Also, at the same time, the blood is quite short of glucose and oxygen due to the running. Yet at least one study that I know, and perhaps many others that exists, concluded that the mental faculties after running was BETTER.

The first time I really got "choked out" was to a guillotine. I felt really light-headed. I shoulda tapped sooner

When I get choked I am am pissed the most because I got caught, unless I get stupid and don't tap, I usually don't have any after affects.

Superbeast said:
Is this happening at your clubs in sparring or competition? If you guys are getting choked out at your clubs, you either have some team mates that don't actually like you or should realise the point is to tap and then make sure you don't end up in the same position to have to tap again. In all of my time training I've not passed out once. I don't plan to either becuase I prefer to kill my brain cells with beer on the weekend, which I personally find more tastier and enjoyable than being choked unconscious.

Thanks. Excellent point.

I'm just starting BJJ, but I have a pretty good sense of when I'm in a really bad situation and don't have any techniques to get out of a choke and should probably tap and start all over again.

As a white belt, what's the point of me thrashing around trying to get out of the choke on pure spasticity and desperation--especially in class? As I see it, and I'll admit again that I'm just starting out, either I have a counter to the choke or I'm not getting choked in the first place. Otherwise, I'm tapping--and getting ready for the next go round.

I was choked out for being a smart ass.... I was tapping for ages and then i remember lying on my back with my instructor holding my legs up in the air.... I started laughin... i was rolling less than 2 minutes later. It does feel like you are waking up in the mourning.. after the white spots go away

Jesus-Resurrection-01.jpg

Yeah, it was like waking up from a refresching sleep. I think I even drowled on the mat. At first I just couldn't figure out why I was asleep at jiu-jitsu, but then thought back and remember trying to tap and when he didn't let go I remember I was about to yell tap. It was a clock choke, and people watching said they thought I was tapping, but as I was reaching to tap he was circling away.

Exact same thing happened to me with the missed tap, instead he was rotating on a baseball bat choke from top, but same situation basically.

I was in 7 gd and let this kid choke me out via rnc. I was out for lik 8 seconds and was shaking apparently and snoring. When I woke up it felt like I was IN a dream and was running around trying to touch the air bc I thought it was an invisble wall and was freaking the fuck out. Everyone thought I was on crack. However after about 10 seconds I was like "Dude what just happened" I was numb and felt like I hadn't eaten in days.

Pretty traumatizing experience at the time, but now that I've been doing bjj for some time, I kinda dig that stuff.

I get visions when I get choked out. No kidding.

Back