Behind the Bastards: Qassem Soleimani

It pretty much just covers how he came to be, his work with the US and with ISIS (and his dealings against both). It's called "Behind the Bastards" so you can imagine they're not huge fans of the guy. But it's also a pretty sober look.

The head of the podcast notes that he's no expert, nor can he certainly trust all sources... which I think is refreshing. And given he spent time as a journalist in Iraq while Sol was operating, he at least has more insight than 99% of twitter and talking heads in the news.

Interesting. I will give a listen when I get time. There is so much history between the u.s. and Iran. A lot of things that have caused other things. Thanks for the cliffs

There was a rift between him and the powers that be in Iran. Why did we not exploit that rift?

I just can't understand each time Soleimani's troops did something aggressive in the Gulf, Obama/Trump didn't get on the bully pulpit and declare "Looks like rogue elements within Iran are at it again. This shows you that Rouhani and Khamenei are less influential within the country that they lead."

Iran's government would have to save face. And it could have been done by the US tweeting under 140 characters, rather than launching 140 drones.

He wasn't killed just for being a piece of shit , he was killed because he was a very effective piece of shit .

He was killed because he was an enemy of America's piece of shit "allies".

There was a rift between him and the powers that be in Iran. Why did we not exploit that rift?

Because the goal was never about security or helping the people of Iran.

The goal is crippling Iran's ability to support people like Assad or Hezbollah which are thorns in the side of people like the House of Saud or Netanyahu.

Its far better to pin everything in Iran and justify things like breaking the nuclear deal that gave Iran respite.

Back