Behind the Bastards: Qassem Soleimani

MilesAbove

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
This was something I came across, and is an interesting look into Soleimani. For the many conservatives, be aware that this is a rather liberal outlet. However, Robert Evans is a journalist that spent time in warzones. He is certainly a liberal journalist, but his work is pretty well established. He cites his sources for the work and I think he does well to neither demonize, nor glorify, Soleimani.

Robert is joined by Anna Hossnieh to discuss Qassem Soleimani, as well as the history of Iran and America's relationship.

https://podbay.fm/podcast/1373812661/e/1578466116

Behind the Bastards can be good, but even as a leftist myself, some of the righteous pontificating can be grating. He could do that podcast without it, stick to the facts, and it would be both so much better and attract a much wider audience.

It's too early to listen here. But what are the cliffs? If it paints the guy in a good light.....

Relations have always been strained though.

Behind the Bastards can be good, but even as a leftist myself, some of the righteous pontificating can be grating.
100% agree. Much like Dave Anthony of the Dollop, I can enjoy them and appreciate the take, while also being well aware of some of the less likeable attitudes they can portrait.

I've only listened to a handful of episodes. But I've noticed Robert does have some healthy disdain for the leftist ideologies that his cohosts sometimes exhibit. However, I've also noticed he simply avoids the confrontation about it during episodes. I appreciate that, as the show would devolve into bickering.

He could do that podcast without it, stick to the facts, and it would be both so much better and attract a much wider audience.
Again, agreed. I think he did pretty well here and especially that when he was being less journalistic and personal, he was clear about it.

100% agree. Much like Dave Anthony of the Dollop, I can enjoy them and appreciate the take, while also being well aware of some of the less likeable attitudes they can portrait.

I've only listened to a handful of episodes. But I've noticed Robert does have some healthy disdain for the leftist ideologies that his cohosts sometimes exhibit. However, I've also noticed he simply avoids the confrontation about it during episodes. I appreciate that, as the show would devolve into bickering.

Again, agreed. I think he did pretty well here and especially that when he was being less journalistic and personal, he was clear about it.

Agreed on all counts. I can't remember which episode it was, but one rubbed me the wrong way so badly that I haven't listened since. I'll give this one a go, though.

As much as we can argue whether bombing Soleimani to pieces was the right play, in regards to foreign affairs, the dude was a real piece of shit.

Agreed on all counts. I can't remember which episode it was, but one rubbed me the wrong way so badly that I haven't listened since. I'll give this one a go, though.

As much as we can argue whether bombing Soleimani to pieces was the right play, in regards to foreign affairs, the dude was a real piece of shit.

why? His main goal was to fight al qaeda and ISIS. Protect the Shia and minorities of Lebanon. Protect the Christians and minorities of Syria. Protect the houthis of Yemen. Protect Iran from foreign aggression.

Donald trump killed the man to please isreal first senators.

He wasn't killed just for being a piece of shit , he was killed because he was a very effective piece of shit .

why? His main goal was to fight al qaeda and ISIS. Protect the Shia and minorities of Lebanon. Protect the Christians and minorities of Syria. Protect the houthis of Yemen. Protect Iran from foreign aggression.

The enemy of our enemy isn't always our friend.

I'll agree that it was not the right move, but the dude was responsible for American deaths (perhaps hundreds or even more) in the ME conflict, and was allegedly planning further attacks on American's on Iraqi soil.

I'm not going to support him as a hero or martyr. I'm not going to cry about him dying, but he was, as @Billy no mates said, a very effective piece of shit.

I don't support the attack. I especially don't like that Trump did it to boost his reelection campaign and tried to play a chess match, tuck his tail, and then brag about killing Soleimani with no repercussions.

It's too early to listen here. But what are the cliffs? If it paints the guy in a good light.....

Relations have always been strained though.

It pretty much just covers how he came to be, his work with the US and with ISIS (and his dealings against both). It's called "Behind the Bastards" so you can imagine they're not huge fans of the guy. But it's also a pretty sober look.

The head of the podcast notes that he's no expert, nor can he certainly trust all sources... which I think is refreshing. And given he spent time as a journalist in Iraq while Sol was operating, he at least has more insight than 99% of twitter and talking heads in the news.

queso y salami

apparently, soleimani had dandriff

they found his head and shoulders at the airport

Ah the old blame the Jews defense

Ah the old blame the Jews defense

I’m not “blaming Jews” you psychopath.

isresl is a nation. And their foreign policy is monstrous. And our governments kowtowing to that nations whims is monstrous.

I’m not “blaming Jews” you psychopath.

isresl is a nation. And their foreign policy is monstrous. And our governments kowtowing to that nations whims is monstrous.
Weird the one nation holding some 90% of the world’s Jews is the only one you have a problem with. I mean there is nothing suspicious here at all. Nothing at all. especially given the Nazi Iran tie. Probably all coincidence

I'll agree that it was not the right move, but the dude was responsible for American deaths (perhaps hundreds or even more) in the ME conflict, and was allegedly planning further attacks on American's on Iraqi soil.

Says who? The same people who tell you Saddam had WMDs? And even if what you say is true, America shouldn't be in the ME.

Weird the one nation holding some 90% of the world’s Jews is the only one you have a problem with. I mean there is nothing suspicious here at all. Nothing at all. especially given the Nazi Iran tie. Probably all coincidence

How is Israel the only country he has a problem with?

Says who? The same people who tell you Saddam had WMDs? And even if what you say is true, America shouldn't be in the ME.

I agree that the US shouldn't be in the ME. I've agreed with that since I was basically a kid fresh in high school when I started to pay attention.

And as far as who I heard it from, who else would tell me? Sure, the government could have been lying for decades of his involvement. Maybe he really was a saint, just fighting terrorist organizations. Maybe he wasn't a piece of shit. But the only people I see giving him a pass are Iranians and anti-interventionalists. He has been noted as having lead proxy wars against US allies and, by proxy (pun only slightly intended), the US troops stationed.

Again, to be clear: I dont think offing him was the right move.

Back