Machetero
Reaction score
I am 5'7"
169 lbs.

max bench: 140 lbs.
max squat: 270 lbs.
max dead: 100 lbs.
Personal goal: More power
Note: all of these numbers are from last september, the last time I incorporated lifting.

My question is this: I have recovered fully from my most serious injuries, and I want to fight in November at 161 lbs. From coming off a 1 year lifting hiatus, how heavy should I be going?
I read the T-Nation stuff, it's great btw, but one thing I didn't see get covered was initial weight for the above excersizes for my weight.
Any other exercises that I should be doing, specifically for power, besides these three?

I already do dips, pushups, chinups, pullups and abs/lower back in my grappling/boxing training.

No one can really tell you an initial weight to start with, everyone is different. I would do a nice warm up and try to max out with your prior max weight, if it goes up fairly easy add more weight and try to determine a new max. After that its all up to you as to what % of your 1rm your gonna do depending on your workout routine.

E C Monee said:
No one can really tell you an initial weight to start with, everyone is different. I would do a nice warm up and try to max out with your prior max weight, if it goes up fairly easy add more weight and try to determine a new max. After that its all up to you as to what % of your 1rm your gonna do depending on your workout routine.

Yup, really no set weight for you to be lifting with...it doesnt work that way. Start out by maxing out, and then build yourself a routine after reading the stickies above. Good luck. :icon_surp

thanks guys. Btw, what were your starting numbers, just for me to see where I could be.

Was it a back injury by any chance? If not, then chances are you're doing something pretty wrong with your Deadlift, looking at your other numbers.

Dedicado said:
thanks guys. Btw, what were your starting numbers, just for me to see where I could be.

I am 5'8" 164lbs

My starting numbers 6 months ago were 135 lbs bench, squat, and deadlift until I got more comfortable with the lifts then start adding weight and don't be in too big of a rush. My current numbers are 315 DL (today), 185 bench four weeks ago and I think I could have gotten higher, but then I jumped up a little too much for my next lift. My squat was 275 four or five weeks ago, but with my current progression I think I could possible get 300 (yes using 2.5lbs too).

so...315 DL, 275 SQ, and 185 bench for now.

hoping for 315, 300, and 200 in the next two weeks.

Funkster said:
Was it a back injury by any chance? If not, then chances are you're doing something pretty wrong with your Deadlift, looking at your other numbers.
Yeah, I hurt my erector spinae pretty bad, and had back spasms for a while.

Back