• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Beginner's (noob) questions thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice... 'lol' is a seriously over-used expression. Let's just say that that produced an audible chuckle.

Also some frustaration because living in Thailand and working in Asia and Africa, even if I do hear about them breaking up, it is going to be super-hard for me to haul over there and get to Glenn before you've dug your claws in. :D

Nice.

Not really the forum, but... you lose weight when you eat fewer calories than you burn in the day, you gain weight when you eat more calories than you burn. I don't know exactly what snacks you are proposing, but it sounds like you are proposing eating very little food and so a big calorie deficit. If you could stick to the diet the weight would probably fly off, but it does sound unhealthy to me.

People generally say that when you are in calorie deficit, it is very hard to get stronger, and odds on the best you will be able to do is maintain your current strength. Not everyone finds this, but a lot do. That being said, the deficit you are proposing sounds big... it might make it really hard.

I don't know much about diet, but since this is the Strength and Power forum, why don't we ask Glenn Pendlay?

Lessons from Glenn Pendlay

What he is saying is roughly my diet: heavy on meat, veg, salad, milk, eggs, nuts, quite a bit of fruit for snacks. When trying to lose weight, I ban pasta, bread, potatoes and rice except for one cheat meal a week. When trying to gain strength/weight, I eat pasta, bread, potatoes and rice, but still not as much as the other stuff.

Anyway... you'd be well advised to do some research on this.

yea sorry about that.. I went to the other part but nobody would answer.

I'm just trying to cut down on some belly fat.

By snacks I was talking about peanut butter , sandwich's , almonds , fruit , granola bars and shit like that.

then one healthy balanced meal for dinner.. Some source of protein , like fish or chicken , beef , turkey, you know the basics. Lots of veggies. cabbage , potatoes , onions , squash , carrots , green beans , asparagus. I also like to eat white and brown rice and wheat pasta.

I almost always drink my protein shake in the evening that's like 400 calories.

Basically I just wanted to know. Is it possible to loose weight and gain strength? lol.

If I feel like I'm loosing strength I'm gonna stop immediately. Thanks for the tips.

Last edited:
What's the difference between muscular strength (raw strength) and muscular endurance? I assume I'm on the right path to acquire raw strength (started "Starting Strength" a while ago) but how do I go about acquiring muscular endurance?

Awesome info. Thanks man.

- I'll look into getting some light plates.

- I will! How do I go about improvement, though? Should I supplement the press with some assistance work? Or will my shoulders eventually get stronger with Starting Strength alone?

- Great. Keep training hard, my friend.

I'd follow SS as written. For every beginner, their biggest weakness is that they are weak. As you get stronger, you'll find out what kind of accessory can help you get stronger on your weak points during your main lifts. However for now, I'd recommend (as would many around here) to just stick with the bread and butter.

Basically I just wanted to know. Is it possible to loose weight and gain strength? lol.

Yes, as long as your opimize the weight loss as fat loss. The best way to do this is to make sure you're eating enough protein and fat in a caloric deficit, and keep your carbohydrate intake to fruits and vegetables only. I'd also recommend keeping your training volume low and focussing mainly on heavy lifting.

Yes, as long as your opimize the weight loss as fat loss. The best way to do this is to make sure you're eating enough protein and fat in a caloric deficit, and keep your carbohydrate intake to fruits and vegetables only. I'd also recommend keeping your training volume low and focussing mainly on heavy lifting.

Yea thanks. That's what I was trying to do.

I just want to lean out more because all this muscle Ive put on has caused some of my body fat to sag and it makes me look deformed.

I know if I changed my diet I can loose this weight because I do put in work in the gym.

I stick to benching , squating , and deadlifting. Sit ups , and cardio.

I'm just scared that I might not giving myself enough fuel to be able to work.

I might as well post my routine while I'm at it.

Monday , Wednesday , and Friday : Bench and Deadlift , sit ups. I Max out on Wednesdays for bot exercises. On Fridays I also do miscellaneous exercises like SOHP , triceps extensions. I also usually Dumbell press , and incline and decline as well.

Tuesday and Thursday's : Squats I max that on Thursday.

Monday , Tuesday , Thursday and Friday I do cardio.

Last edited:
If you are lifting only once a week what program would you recommend? I've just been doing 1 set of 5 reps for the following exercises: Power clean, squat, dead lift, bench, bent over rows, strict overhead press.

I'm a noob, and a beginner. I want to know what exercises to do for overall conditioning, i can't do benchpresses or bar squats or anything.
Goals: Better conditioning mainly for bjj / parkour
Equipment: Iron Gym Pull Up Bar, lotta dumbells ranging anywhere from 5 - 40 pounds (individual dumbbells not plates), an incline bench.
Height: 5'9 - 5'10 (been a while since i measured)
Weight: 140-146
i'm not a complete beginner when it comes to weights, and i do practice technique for bjj (though i've only started a month ago) i just want something to supplement it after i get home, or on my off days.
i can do about 50 reps of pushups, a lot of situps (i get bored cuz it takes so long) about 30-50 air squats. and like 3-7 pullups / chinups. What do you guys suggest?
(though i should work on my cardio the most, it's the weakest part, but other than cardio what exercises do you guys suggest?)

^You totally missed his point LOL.

More seriously, you should look to gain access to a gym and learn to do some (barbell) squats, deadlifts, bench, press, dips, chins, rows etc.

And yes, you are very likely a complete beginner when it comes to weight lifting.

Yea thanks. That's what I was trying to do.

No, dude, you are way off. In your original post you said

I had 2 pieces of wheat toast , and some fruit of breakfast.

then I worked out for 3 hours.

After my workout I made myself a Natural Peanut butter and banana sandwich on wheat bread.

Then I had my self two moderate servings of Lean Ground beef meatballs tomato sauce and wheat pasta. For desert I had 2 scoops of Syntha 6.

What Bajan and the Glenn Pendlay quote (and I) are saying you is when you want to lose weight, no bread, no pasta, no rice, no potatoes (or anything else that is really high in calories and isn't nuts, fruit and veg. It is dead simple. You get your normal plate... you put a ton of food on there... meat, salad, vegetables, more meat, more vegetables. That is it. Hungry? No problem. Have some milk and apple. Or some nuts. Still hungry? Cook yourself a chicken salad if you have to. With that diet you can eat plenty, because the food is not very high in calories by mass. So just keep snacking, but stay away from rice, bread, potatoes, pasta etc.

I am not saying you have to do this diet. But it works for me and a lot of other people. And it seems like you didn't understand at all when it was explained 3 times to you.

What Bajan and the Glenn Pendlay quote (and I) are saying you is when you want to lose weight, no bread, no pasta, no rice, no potatoes (or anything else that is really high in calories and isn't nuts, fruit and veg. It is dead simple. You get your normal plate... you put a ton of food on there... meat, salad, vegetables, more meat, more vegetables. That is it. Hungry? No problem. Have some milk and apple. Or some nuts. Still hungry? Cook yourself a chicken salad if you have to. With that diet you can eat plenty, because the food is not very high in calories by mass. So just keep snacking, but stay away from rice, bread, potatoes, pasta etc.

I am not saying you have to do this diet. But it works for me and a lot of other people. And it seems like you didn't understand at all when it was explained 3 times to you.

Yea I'm mostly sticking to meat and vegetables. I absolutely love rice and potatoes, and pasta lol. But I'm going to try and stay away from it. Or leave it for special occasions. Thanks for filling me in though.

And I apologize for my ignorance this whole dieting stuff is a new world for me. I'm learning new things everyday..

On a side note.. Whats the best ways to enjoy peanut butter if you can't eat it with bread? I know about celery and peanut butter combo but anything else? Its just to dry yo eat it out of a spoon.

Last edited:
Yea I'm mostly sticking to meat and vegetables. I absolutely love rice and potatoes, and pasta lol. But I'm going to try and stay away from it. Or leave it for special occasions. Thanks for filling me in though.

No mate, the special occasion is when you no longer wanna diet.

^You totally missed his point LOL.

More seriously, you should look to gain access to a gym and learn to do some (barbell) squats, deadlifts, bench, press, dips, chins, rows etc.

And yes, you are very likely a complete beginner when it comes to weight lifting.

i probably did miss his point, and i'm asking bcuz i don't have access to a gym, and that was all the equipment i have, so are there i can do with my equipment that can make up for the no barbell exercises? or do i have to become Herschel Walker and just bust out pushups, pull ups, and sit ups?
not trollin, just seriously need help

Sorry, sarcasm didn;t translate well.

If you only have access to 40lbs DB (whats that, about 18kg?) then strength training will be as big a problem as cardio. It's not impossible to develop with minimal equipment. It's just very difficult and likely to be short lived.

There are a lot of good resources for people who don't have access to heavy weights and barbells, e.g. Rosstraining.

However, get yourself in a gym if you can.

And I apologize for my ignorance this whole dieting stuff is a new world for me. I'm learning new things everyday..

On a side note.. Whats the best ways to enjoy peanut butter if you can't eat it with bread? I know about celery and peanut butter combo but anything else? Its just to dry yo eat it out of a spoon.

Assuming it's natural (no sugar added) peanut butter, I usually just eat some peanut butter with some fresh blackberries for a dessert. Also, peanut butter is great in smoothies or protein shakes.

Also, with regard to rice, bread, pasta, etc... you either have two dieting options: 1) don't count calories and only eat meat, vegetables, fruit, nuts, and seeds, or 2) count calories and include rice and bread in your diet. I say this because it's incredibly easy to overeat processed carbs. If you eliminate processed carbs, you can basically eat as much as you want because the foods you're eating are very filling and are not calorie dense.

Assuming it's natural (no sugar added) peanut butter, I usually just eat some peanut butter with some fresh blackberries for a dessert. Also, peanut butter is great in smoothies or protein shakes.

Also, with regard to rice, bread, pasta, etc... you either have two dieting options: 1) don't count calories and only eat meat, vegetables, fruit, nuts, and seeds, or 2) count calories and include rice and bread in your diet. I say this because it's incredibly easy to overeat processed carbs. If you eliminate processed carbs, you can basically eat as much as you want because the foods you're eating are very filling and are not calorie dense.

well in my case I'm trying to burn fat and maintain muscle.. Like that one guy above told me to the way I should do it is eliminate Carbs from my diet ans stick to Veggies , meat , and get my only carb intake from fruits and veggies.

I'm glad I learned that now because I had planned to include lots of wheat and some starchy products like potatoes and rice in my diet.

Still learning here.

Last edited:

Jaunty I think Ive seen the light...

After doing some research. Basically... Eliminate bad carbs and replace with good carbs as in Fruits and Vegetables and Nuts and eat a lot of protein rich foods like beef , chicken , fish , maybe even some leaner cuts of pork.

It's going to be tough because I'm just one of those guys who likes to eat

I know you guys know your shit and I'm listening so I appreciate it. The thing is that I'm just worried about is loosing my strength. I don't have huge muscles , but I do pride myself in the strength Ive gained at the gym. My goal is to bench 275 , squat somewhere above 315 , and deadlift over 315 by the end of 2011. I just want to get rid of the extra body fat. About 25 or 30 pounds. So hopefully these changes work out for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back