Beginners class..6BB, 5Browns, 6purples, a ton of Blues and Whites...... WTF!???

Title Fight Productions

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
People's thoughts on higher belts at "beginner class"?

I'm not talking about the typical Blues and Purples that start showing up at the end of the "beginner class" just before the live rolling, looking like sharks that smell the blood in the water.
I'm talking about when BB's-Purple show in mass at the beginning of class, run through warm ups and participate fully in the beginners class.

Me, I think it's awesome! Even though it does take away a little from the focus on the white belts I think the trade off is way in there favor having higher belts in class and on the mat with them.

Awesome - the higher belts at our gym usually help out us lower guys during fundementals/beginner classes.

I'm not talking about the typical Blues and Purples that start showing up at the end of the "beginner class" just before the live rolling, looking like sharks that smell the blood in the water.
I'm talking about when BB's-Purple show in mass at the beginning of class, run through warm ups and participate fully in the beginners class.

Me, I think it's awesome! Even though it does take away a little from the focus on the white belts I think the trade off is way in there favor having higher belts in class and on the mat with them.

I think it is fine. It can sometimes be difficult to go to class so you take any class you can. I think it helps white belts learn because they dont have to ask the instructor if they are doing it right. They have a brown belt right there who probably knows the technique.

In my experience the higher up belts usually get spilt from the whites when it comes to specific sparring and live rolling just so it is fair.

I don't see an issue with this at all, it helps to work with higher belts/skill levels so long as they don't spend the entire time just smashing you

In our Judo club we don't have a beginners and experienced class, we just all mix in.

Personally I think it's better as the older, experienced guys tend to take the white belts off to the side of the mat and run through stuff with them while we're drilling more experienced techniques. Then we all participate in randori at the end and we just go easier and get to test stuff out on the newer guys.

Awesome - the higher belts at our gym usually help out us lower guys during fundementals/beginner classes.

This...

Personally, I learn more after getting destroyed by a purple. Not so much from a what he/she did to submit me, but rather, what I did that clued them into what I was about to do.

See, I'm talking more about the "taking class", than rolling with higher belts at the end of class.

i've never seen anybody get worse at jiu jitsu by doing more classes.

We still have the same classes as beginners throughout, just a more experienced guy who doesn't have a competition coming up tends to take them to the side and go through stuff with them.

We still do the same warm-ups etc. but when we're drilling techniques the beginners do simpler stuff.

It's awesome. A lot of those guys are there to drill and they make much better drilling partners for the novices than novice - novice pairings.

^^ Yup, what Shunyata said too. Plus you don't want white belts correcting each others' technique.

You can never drill the basics too much. Good for them

Just because you are an expert doesn't mean you should stop drilling even the most basic movements very regularly.

I think that is fantastic when higher level belts decide to attend a white belt class. They usually are incredibly helpful while brushing up on their own fundamental skill sets. I think that it also shows nice initiative on their part to want to participate.

In our Judo club we don't have a beginners and experienced class, we just all mix in.

Personally I think it's better as the older, experienced guys tend to take the white belts off to the side of the mat and run through stuff with them while we're drilling more experienced techniques. Then we all participate in randori at the end and we just go easier and get to test stuff out on the newer guys.

This to the t.

We're a smaller gym so my instructor teaches the advanced classes and some of the brown and purple belts teach fundamentals. It's fun sometimes to jump into a beginner class that your friend is teaching to brush up on basics and hear from a different perspective. Particularly if you have an injury or have been training really hard that week.

This.

Rolling with other newer folks (esp. meatheads, justbleed, etc) ends up in spazz city

Back