Beginners class..6BB, 5Browns, 6purples, a ton of Blues and Whites...... WTF!???

We used to have a fundamentals class at my gym but it has kind of fallen off due to low attendance as it was after the regular class and most white belts were too tired to do it. I would go as a purple belt and I'll be damned if I still didn't learn new things.

Sometimes you pick up bad habits over the years, especially if you started out with one guy and changed schools. Going to fundamentals classes can really help you out, even if you are a higher belt.

I'd like to daydream that when I'm a black belt I will show up to basics as well. Nothing wrong with getting more reps on basics. I see it as keeping your foundation strong.

Could be a work schedule conflict that keeps them from going to a different one. Could be they want to help out the lower belts. Could be they want to practice the fundamentals you focus on more at the lower levels.

People's thoughts on higher belts at "beginner class"?

I'm not talking about the typical Blues and Purples that start showing up at the end of the "beginner class" just before the live rolling, looking like sharks that smell the blood in the water.
I'm talking about when BB's-Purple show in mass at the beginning of class, run through warm ups and participate fully in the beginners class.

Me, I think it's awesome! Even though it does take away a little from the focus on the white belts I think the trade off is way in there favor having higher belts in class and on the mat with them.

that is the sign of a very healthy and long established school.

There is nothing worst that seeing a blue belt teaching the beginner class while the higher belts and head instructor strolled in later on.

I usually get fundamentals class with higher belts during open mat periods. Due to my work schedule I can't attend white belt classes. But drilling and rolling with high belts has helped me a whole lot.

I think its great! Having higher belts to help beginners drill technique can be super helpful in both the development of the white belt and the higher belt.

Back