Beginner looking to improve training routine

Lomas

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Ok, I' am a total beginner at wieght lifting, and am looking for some advice to increase my routine. I'm 15, 5'7 120lbs, im looking to increase my overall strength. All i have at my house is a bench press and dumbells so i dont know what i can do for the lower body besides jogging. Alright well here is what i have been doing for the past month. Just let me know if you think there is anything i can change or add to improve my overall strength. P.S. I'm a total weakling but am determined to get stronger. Also i dont know what kind of tricep exercise to do. Any help would be appreciated.

Monday

Bench Press
90x3
95x3
100x3
105x3
110x3

Shoulders

Standing Military
65 x 4-6
65 x 4-6
65 x 4-6

dumbell lateral raises
15 x 8
15 x 8

Tuesday and Friday

Back

Barbell Row
3 sets of 5

Back Pullups
I go until i get to 25

Rear Lat
2 sets of 8

Biceps

Dumbell Curl
2 sets of 8

Barbell Curl
3 x 6

Thursday

Bench Press
90 x 5
100x 5
105x 5

Shoulders

Standing Military
65 x 4-6
65 x 4-6
65 x 4-6

dumbell Lateral raises
15 x 8
15 x 8

Thats my routine so far, I also do 3 sets of 25 push ups every day and 3 times a week i do 150 crunches and 3 sets of 20 sit ups with a 25 lb wieght on my chest.

For Triceps I'm thinking of doing skull crushers and Close Grip Bench press.

I'm wondering if i should add more wieght to my bench press workout (like start with 5 more lbs in the beginning and just go up the way it ussually does) because my max is 120.

Well there it is, I know im a total weakling, but i am so determined to get stronger. Any advice would be appreciated.

Why are you doing Lats on your shoulder days? What is"Lat"? I was assuming Lat pulldown.

sry forgot to write the whole thing down, my mistake. They are dumbell lateral raises

where are the Squats? where are the Deadlifts? 4 curls per week? have you even looked at the stickies?

A complete beginner should not be attempting to squat or deadlift anything, unless they're asking for injuries.

Bodyweight squats and one-legged squats are your friends, until you get the form perfect. Then progess to dumbell squats, and then barbell squats. Not the other way around!

In fact, bodyweight and one-legged squats are all you need judging by your strength level.

Add this into your workout:

4 sets of 10-12 prisoner squats
2 sets of 10 one-legged squats on EACH LEG

http://ronjones.org/Coach&Train/ExercisePhotos/BodyWeight/Legs/Squat-Prisoner.html

For one legged squats, don't do pistols (Matt Furey), that's a bit too difficult at this point. Place and object right in front of you to keep the foot your standing on in line. Then do a squat on that leg, while putting your other leg behind you no more than one foot. Do a range of motion that is not making you fall down every time you do a rep.

Good luck!

FWI sucka, BW squats and one legged squats are squats. Start your DL's today, just go light and easy and breath 1-2.

Actually I think doing squats with a 45lbs barbbell is easy to start off with than one legged squats. Start your bb squatting today 1 - 2.

Do some some back squats and deadlifts with SLDLs and other hamstring exercises.

Just keep it light and in good form.

ThaiJJJ said:
A complete beginner should not be attempting to squat or deadlift anything, unless they're asking for injuries.

Bodyweight squats and one-legged squats are your friends, until you get the form perfect. Then progess to dumbell squats, and then barbell squats. Not the other way around!

In fact, bodyweight and one-legged squats are all you need judging by your strength level.

Add this into your workout:

4 sets of 10-12 prisoner squats
2 sets of 10 one-legged squats on EACH LEG

http://ronjones.org/Coach&Train/ExercisePhotos/BodyWeight/Legs/Squat-Prisoner.html

For one legged squats, don't do pistols (Matt Furey), that's a bit too difficult at this point. Place and object right in front of you to keep the foot your standing on in line. Then do a squat on that leg, while putting your other leg behind you no more than one foot. Do a range of motion that is not making you fall down every time you do a rep.

Good luck!

why shouldnt he squat and deadlift? its not like you start off doing 400 pounds. start light, work on form.

Above are all right, where are your squats???

You seem to be putting too much emphasis on your upper body throughout those four days, so you won't really have a chance to see some real growth. Your chest will just be madd sore, and you'll be left wondering wtf is going on?...

In my opinion, I would make Monday and Thursday your upper body day. Everyone up here is also right, concentrate on your form during your sets. I would also add a quick 5-10 pushups between your sets and during your rest (which should be no more than 45 seconds, imo) to fatigue your muscle even further. If you are doin arms, sub in the pushups for pull-ups, esp. if you are trying to hit biceps.

On Tuesday and Friday, I would hit up legs, abs, and lower back. I tink everyone on this forum can agree that, if you have a lower back, you don't have good abs, no good core...and no generation of power for your martial art. That being said, squats, leg raises, and the whole nine yards. Between sets, I pund out 10-15 squats or 10-15 "lying down 2x leg raise thingie"

Again, concentrate on your form...and lower your amount if you are having trouble. Meet the short term goal first before your long term.

Good luck!

Something tells me that the OP isn't going to see or care about your advice considering he posted his questions in August of 2005.

Magus why did you resurect a thread from 2005..? How do that happen?

On the possitive side I see we have become much more effective with handling this kind of sillyness! Good teamwork here!:)

Magus said:
Above are all right, where are your squats???

You seem to be putting too much emphasis on your upper body throughout those four days, so you won't really have a chance to see some real growth. Your chest will just be madd sore, and you'll be left wondering wtf is going on?...

In my opinion, I would make Monday and Thursday your upper body day. Everyone up here is also right, concentrate on your form during your sets. I would also add a quick 5-10 pushups between your sets and during your rest (which should be no more than 45 seconds, imo) to fatigue your muscle even further. If you are doin arms, sub in the pushups for pull-ups, esp. if you are trying to hit biceps.

On Tuesday and Friday, I would hit up legs, abs, and lower back. I tink everyone on this forum can agree that, if you have a lower back, you don't have good abs, no good core...and no generation of power for your martial art. That being said, squats, leg raises, and the whole nine yards. Between sets, I pund out 10-15 squats or 10-15 "lying down 2x leg raise thingie"

Again, concentrate on your form...and lower your amount if you are having trouble. Meet the short term goal first before your long term.

Good luck!
funny_cat_pictures_146.jpg

begnner routine:

squats, deadlifts, benchpress, overhead press, dynamic rows, pullups

each exercise performed in 3X5 rep scheme and done 1.5 times a week on average (3 workouts a week; A B A B A B; split exercises however you wish - i like to keep workouts about the same, exhaustion-wise).

there you go. should last you about 2 years with slight modifications to keep things interesting.

any questions?

okay, i didn't read the thread.

but i assume the poster is still 120 pounds so the point stands

uzbekistanian said:
okay, i didn't read the thread.

but i assume the poster is still 120 pounds so the point stands

Np, I always answer threads before I read them as well :icon_chee Just kidding, man.

When you open a post there are suggested posts by the site which are 'similar' at the bottom. I bet he clicked one of them and answered it. I did that shit yesterday with another post and then realized I was a complete douchbag to answer a 2005 post. However people after me didnt even realize that it's a ressurection of 2005 post and kept answering as well...So the joke is on all of us.

Resurrecting threads is the new "Pwn3d". Everyone is doing it.

So the solution to make it easier for assholes to not start repeated threads, with this suggested similar threads, is to have assholes resurrect threads? Cool

Let's see what I can unearth.

Back