before starting sprint training

bayboy4life

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I read in an article that before you start your sprint training you should be able to job for 40min. Is there any truth to this?

You should have a good aerobic base to get the greatest benefit from it.
A 40 minute jog is fairly good.

I too would agree with this. Sprints and anerobic training put a lot of stress on your body/nervious system and unless you have a good base it could easily lead to overtraining.

40mins is about right. no less.

A good aerobic base can get you pretty far.

Wow i feel like we are in 1990...come on lets work on our areobic base...hahahahahahahaha!

Many good coaches will agree with me when I say...there is no need for an aerobic base for power sports...you will get all the Vo2 from playing the sport...just work on other physical abilities....

if nothin else , aerobic fitness improves recovery time. thats pretty vital id say.

you can start with sprints, just have a longer recovery period like 2-2.5 minutes and gradually decrease that

anvar said:
Wow i feel like we are in 1990...come on lets work on our areobic base...hahahahahahahaha!

Many good coaches will agree with me when I say...there is no need for an aerobic base for power sports...you will get all the Vo2 from playing the sport...just work on other physical abilities....

While I do not advocate running for 40 minutes (the most I ever do is for distance thats about 18 minutes at a good pace and then get the time down to 14), a good aerobic capacity will like someone said above get you far.
If your in the conditioning section for 'power' sports (i'm thinking lifting and maybe at most 400m sprints), then yes, doing sprints with a decent break is what you need. But I'm coming from a MT pov and I don't care who the fuck you are, you can't keep power constant that long (for a fight, so min 3x3 min rounds), but the easiest way to get to a decent trade of is by having a good aerobic capacity to help recover between the bouts of high intensity.

Yes you can get a decent VO2 training session out doing the sport, but with fatique like that comes poor technique, and I'd rather run poorly then learn to throw combos poorly when fucked.
I should also add its easier to quantify increasing workloads with running then on pads.

"Don't Jog" -Dan John.

LOL Jog for 40 mins!??! Even my grandmother can do that... and she's dead.

What pace?? 40mins at 7min/mile pace is decent. 40mins at 10min/mile pace and you'd be overtaken by cart and horse.

For the record, I meant a 6 1/2-7 min pace for the above 20 minute runs

Back