BEER! For hardgainers?

B0x KIK3R

White Belt
Reaction score
I am 5'3" 135 pounds and I am hoping to make it to 140. I started out 3 weeks ago at 129. I train martial arts 5 days a week, lift Heavy 2 days a week, and condition with road work, HIIT, etc. 3 days a week. I am eating Truck Loads trying to gain and I was wondering about beer. I LOVE beer and my question is: If I am trying to get as heavy as possible is there a downside to drinking 1 heavy beer with dinner every night? Will it interfere with my training? Thanks everyone.

Funny coincidence! I'm a hardgainer trying to train and I take a semi-daily beer around dinner time. I doubt it would hurt much if you just stick with one. But I am very interested to read other responses to this topic.

I've read that alcohol inhibits muscle growth and recovery. I also notice a decrease in performance the day after I drink a lot. I doubt 1 beer a day is going to do much though.

Sumo drink atleast one beer everyday with a meal...Take that for what it's worth.

Nope. Even without a hangover, if I drink like 6+ beers the night before I can't go as hard the next day.

If I drink 6+ beers I can't go as hard that night, either.

This falls under the category of "cool story, bro." But once I drank four glasses of whiskey, and then two glasses of wine. This is usually a recipe for getting sick. I went to sleep and passed out with my shoes on. The next day I felt fine and hit the gym pretty hard and felt good. Other times I've gotten seriously sick on much less drink. It's strange.

If your also looking for optimal performance with your mass gain I wouldn't drink alcohol.. I think there are better ways for you to put on good mass while keeping optimal performance.. can you give a run down of what your daily diet looks like?

There's nothing wrong with drinking moderate amounts of beer if you are trying to gain weight. However, you'd get more calories and protein by replacing those beers with whole milk.

My uncle was an ammy bodybuilder / powerlifter during the 80's. He said his secret to gaining size was a banana and a beer before bed.

There have been a lot of good articles about the health benefits of alcohol in general lately. Enjoy your delicious beer with dinner. And more power to you if you have enough self control to keep it to one.

Thanks a lot for the comments thus far everyone. Here is a rough outlook of what I eat everyday:

Breakfast: Oatmeal and Fruit, PB & J Bagel

2nd Breakfast: Breakfast burritos with eggs, cheese, beans, and sliced turkey

Lunch: Turkey Sandwhiches with veggies and cheese

2nd Lunch: PB & J Bagel, Another Turkey Sandwhich

Dinner: Heaps of Pasta or Chicken Breasts

Before Bed PB & J

Snacks in between

My diet is pretty basic becuse I am kind of new to eating so much and also I am not the most creative in the kitchen.

As for the milk suggestion, This has been a big problem for me and also one reason why i thought a beer might be a good answer: I HATE milk. I simply cannot force it into my system. This has also caused problems for me as for as looking for protein shakes and what not because I always see milk based stuff. Instead of some kind of shake or whatever, I have been eating powerbars right after my workouts, they are like 230 calories each or something.

I am pretty ignorant to dieting and supplements so could anyone reccomend something I could drink post work out that might not be milk based?

I appreciate the help! Thank you!

There's nothing wrong with drinking moderate amounts of beer if you are trying to gain weight. However, you'd get more calories and protein by replacing those beers with whole milk.

^^^THIS

BTW, beer doesn't have that many calories, TS, I don't know why your saying if your a hard gainer.

However, I have heard many times alcohol lowers your testosterone or reception?

True or False?

However, I have heard many times alcohol lowers your testosterone or reception?

True or False?

Getting drunk will lower testosterone levels. Having a couple beers isn't going to affect testosterone levels in any meaningful way. It would take a lot of heavy regular drinking to lower your testosterone levels to the point where your lower testosterone levels would affect performance (assuming you are not already an elite athlete).

As for the milk suggestion, This has been a big problem for me and also one reason why i thought a beer might be a good answer: I HATE milk.

You need to ask yourself this question: Do you hate milk more than you hate being 135 pounds? Because milk really does work.

If the issue here is really lactose intolerance, you could consider trying various supplements that will help you to digest milk products. I'm blessed with a healthy tolerance for milk, so I can't recommend any particular product.

I'm a little confused, because further in your post, you worry about protein powders that are milk based. This shouldn't be an issue if you don't like the taste of milk, since you can find protein powders that taste like whatever you want that can be mixed with water.

Thanks for the replies. Based on what I am hearing, I will have a beer with dinner and feel safe doing so. Thanks again!

Thanks a lot for the comments thus far everyone. Here is a rough outlook of what I eat everyday:

Breakfast: Oatmeal and Fruit, PB & J Bagel

2nd Breakfast: Breakfast burritos with eggs, cheese, beans, and sliced turkey

Lunch: Turkey Sandwhiches with veggies and cheese

2nd Lunch: PB & J Bagel, Another Turkey Sandwhich

Dinner: Heaps of Pasta or Chicken Breasts

Before Bed PB & J

Snacks in between

My diet is pretty basic becuse I am kind of new to eating so much and also I am not the most creative in the kitchen.

As for the milk suggestion, This has been a big problem for me and also one reason why i thought a beer might be a good answer: I HATE milk. I simply cannot force it into my system. This has also caused problems for me as for as looking for protein shakes and what not because I always see milk based stuff. Instead of some kind of shake or whatever, I have been eating powerbars right after my workouts, they are like 230 calories each or something.

I am pretty ignorant to dieting and supplements so could anyone reccomend something I could drink post work out that might not be milk based?

I appreciate the help! Thank you!

I would opt for more protien in the diet, and complex carbs... here is what a typical day for me looks like. I am in no way saying you should do what I do because everybodys body type and metabolism are different. I am 5'10 180 and a hard gainer this diet pretty much keeps me at 180 or a little over.
Meal 1. 4 whole eggs 4 egg whites, I cup of oats

Meal 2. Protien pancakes ( I put eggs oats protien powder and fruit in a blender and make pancakes.) Topped with 3 table spoons of natural peanut butter and sugar free syrup.

Meal 3. 6oz top sirloin steak, sweet potato, asparagus

meal 4. 2 cups of whole wheat pasta with 6 to 8 oz ground turkey

Meal 5. 6 to 8oz chicken and 1 cup brown rice and green broccolli

Meal 6. before bed 2 table spoons PB and protien shake.

I also have a protien shake and fast digesting carb post workout.
I eat slices of homade pizza for snacks... whole wheat crust, chicken breast, fat free cheese. or table spoons of pb for snacks throught the day... this may give you some ideas on what you can add in to your plan.

While beer is sweet sweet nectar, it is NOT your friend when it come to muscle and strength gains or increases in performance. Unfortunately it is a horrible combination of alcohol, gluten and calories. DAMN IT! :)

Eat a cup of cottage cheese immediately before you go to sleep. Your "hardgainer" problems will melt away.

Back