Been a negligent a-hole to my best friend and now its too late.

Killer Whale

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
I have an amazing dog who has helped multiple people get through substance abuse and overcome struggles in their life. He's an old guy now at 13 and the last 3 years he hasn't been taken on many long walks or to the beach which is very close and his favourite place to go. I was being a lazy asshole when I was living at the property where he lives and wasn't taking him to the beach or long walks not even close to as much as I should've. I have been living in a city nearby for work and only get back every 3 months for a few weeks, I would take him with me except where he is living is wayyyyy nicer property than where I could take him. My brother took him for a walk a few months ago and it seemed that he had stepped on something and his foot was cut, we cleaned it wrapped it for a couple weeks and it didn't get any better. We got the blood tests back the other day and he has foot cancer, we have to clean it and wrap his foot 3 times a day and he looks so sad that we have to do it, hes still quite a happy guy when he's got attention to him but he is so bummed out and bothered about his foot and it is killing me inside, really don't think its gonna go away but hoping so bad.
Too late to take him on anymore long walks.
Too late to take him to the beach to run and swim.
Love your dogs with everything, don't ignore them or you'll regret like I am :icon_sad:

that's fucked up, you lived right by the beach but wouldn't take him there. makes no sense at all.

13 is old for a dog, I'm sure he knows you love him

fully-supportive-dog-wheelchair1.png

I'm sorry man. U got me In the feels. My old dog used to love walking we could go for a couples hours. I remember the first time he stopped in front of my house and decided he didn't want to walk. Father Time had caught up with him and he passed away soon after

My current dog is a pug and loves being lazy outside but doesn't actually like excersize / walking. So we just hang out outside all day on Saturdays. Like for 6 hours or so. He loves it and so do I. We r doing it right now.

So sorry to hear about your sick dog....hopefully he will get better, I will say a prayer. If he does not, just please pay attention and put him down at the right time, it's one of the toughest things to do, but keeping him around because of the fear of losing him is not fair to him, Don't let him suffer....

Find a way go take him out without him having to physically walk. I'm sure he would love it

Put him in the passenger seat of your car and let him stick his head out.

Dogs love that shit

[

Yeah, bro. Don't go all Bob Marley here and not amputate that foot.

Read Bill Simmons column on what he did when his dog was nearing the end. And get ready to buy your best friend some cheeseburgers.

See if you can rent a carrier tricycle.

tricycle-511.jpg

Sorry to hear man. Freaking dogs always get me. They are just the best damn companions.

I feel ya man.

My girl's favorite thing in the world was to take walks but for the last 4ish years I only took her out once in a while. She's staying with another family member whose dog she raised; she likes him but doesn't get much exercise with him because he's so much more athletic and younger than she is at this point. I live far enough away that I can't visit very often and I really feel like I robbed her of much of the pleasure she had in life.

With that said I had tons of bad experiences walking because she's super friendly with other dogs and there are loose/aggressive dogs all over the neighborhood.

I have an amazing dog who has helped multiple people get through substance abuse and overcome struggles in their life. He's an old guy now at 13 and the last 3 years he hasn't been taken on many long walks or to the beach which is very close and his favourite place to go. I was being a lazy asshole when I was living at the property where he lives and wasn't taking him to the beach or long walks not even close to as much as I should've. I have been living in a city nearby for work and only get back every 3 months for a few weeks, I would take him with me except where he is living is wayyyyy nicer property than where I could take him. My brother took him for a walk a few months ago and it seemed that he had stepped on something and his foot was cut, we cleaned it wrapped it for a couple weeks and it didn't get any better. We got the blood tests back the other day and he has foot cancer, we have to clean it and wrap his foot 3 times a day and he looks so sad that we have to do it, hes still quite a happy guy when he's got attention to him but he is so bummed out and bothered about his foot and it is killing me inside, really don't think its gonna go away but hoping so bad.
Too late to take him on anymore long walks.
Too late to take him to the beach to run and swim.
Love your dogs with everything, don't ignore them or you'll regret like I am :icon_sad:

I had similar feelings when my dog passed away. I wished I had taken him more special places and walks when he was fit and healthy. The years pass you by and before you know it time runs out and nothing you can do to turn it back. It's normal to feel regret when family and friends die and that's what a dog is, a member of your family and your friend. Sorry to hear your pain. I know it all too well.

Back