Be Honest... how much did you suck and for how long when starting BJJ?

i train 7+ times a week, but the way my gym does it , its do able if you take care of your body and stuff. Id say its doable depending on how much emphasizes your gym puts on hard rolling... but its also ok to do 3-4 a week and slowly work your way up thats what i did, no need to rush anything take your time

Hard to say since I don't know yet what is considered "hard rolling"

Generally, I go to class 5 to 6 times a week and each class has anywhere from 10 to 20 minutes rolling at the end. 5 minutes each roll with different opponents. Never less than 10 minutes though. Sometimes we have open mat and we roll like 30 minutes.

Right now though after a little over 3 months of this my body is feeling very weak and tired. Might take a rest through weekend.

You felt really embarrassed when you were tapped by people who were the same belt as you?

If that's the case and you don't learn to stop thinking like that you're never going to make it past blue belt. Because let me tell you you're going to get your blue and still be tapping to white belts. It's going to happen. If you let the fear of being tapped get to you then you'll never progress and will end up quitting.

I was embarrassed becsuse each of them tapped me out like 3 times in a short 5 minutes roll. I was just really out of it that night.

I don't mind getting tapped but 6 times in 10 minutes by other white belts is discouraging

We got a white belt at our academy right now that slaps the floor and curses when he gets tapped out by brown and black belts.

He was a walk on college wrestler at an average school. Which is better wrestling than a lot of our guys.

But he rolled with a brown belt the other week. Got tapped out a few times.

After the roll said "what am I doing wrong?"

"Nothing man. You're doing good."

"If I was doing good I wouldn't be getting tapped out."

So a couple upper belts tried explaining to him that his logic was silly and he still didn't really get it.

We have one like that too! Also a college wrestler and one of the handful of guys who is as small as me. Has REALLY good take downs obviously. Even brown belts have trouble taking him down..when I roll with him I just pull guard and don't bother getting top position from the start. He gets really upset when he taps. I chocked him out once and he was really upset with me because he kept saying forearm chokes are illegal despite the class day before taught us preciesly.that move

I'm a blue belt with three stripes now. My real training time amounts to three or four years ( I don't count time spent away from the mat like injuries, long layoffs, vacations...etc), doing BJJ at least 5 hours per week; sometimes more, sometimes less.

I'm a little above average height-wise, and definetely heavy. I now weigh around 200lbs at 12% bf and 6'1. I've been as high as 235lbs before BJJ. When I started this thing of ours I was 220. I had never done sports save for kiddies karate and the occasional summer activities like kayaking or trekking. If you had asked me at 18 to show my guns to some nuns, I'd have nothing to show; my biceps wouldn't bulge. I was, and am, uncoordinated, slow, clumsy and insecure when it comes to the awareness of the body and how to move it. Being this heavy, and not wanting to hurt my training partners during practice, I'm sure I have done a lot of bad reps thinking that, if I did them properly, I'd be hitting them too hard with this body of mine. The first step of sucking.

I sucked for a long time, and I didn't compete for a long time. I was still thinking I sucked big time when I was awarded the blue. It happened again with my first stripe. The game started clicking by the fourth stripe at white, which meant I developed more as a defensive player since I was mostly reacting or resisting instead of acting; I had partners that made sense of the whole shebang from day one, and they developed an attacking style. As a white I'd tap some other white maybe once every several months. As a beginner blue, I'd tap some white every week. My fellow blues, maybe once a month if I was lucky. Life happened and I had to move to another city where there wasn't any affiliate of my first team, so I had to change teams to keep practicing.

I have competed a lot more since I had to change teams, and rolling with new people has made me improve much faster, and made me realize I don't suck as much as I thought. I sucked for a long time and I thought I was banging my head against the wall, but it unknownlingly paid off later on the journey. Dilligence, patience and open-mindedness are key while you're training. Swimming new waters, be it by competing or trying new things and letting others try new things on you regardless of being tapped out, make for some essential complimentary work.

Just don't give up, sherbros. It'll all make sense eventually, and eventhough I'm far from being anything resembling a succesful low level athlete, I'm enjoying the shit out of this thing of ours.

Hard to say since I don't know yet what is considered "hard rolling"

Generally, I go to class 5 to 6 times a week and each class has anywhere from 10 to 20 minutes rolling at the end. 5 minutes each roll with different opponents. Never less than 10 minutes though. Sometimes we have open mat and we roll like 30 minutes.

Right now though after a little over 3 months of this my body is feeling very weak and tired. Might take a rest through weekend.
yea if your getting weakker definitely cut back a bit maybe to 3 times? and then once you feel good again go for 4 times and slowly increase

We have one like that too! Also a college wrestler and one of the handful of guys who is as small as me. Has REALLY good take downs obviously. Even brown belts have trouble taking him down..when I roll with him I just pull guard and don't bother getting top position from the start. He gets really upset when he taps. I chocked him out once and he was really upset with me because he kept saying forearm chokes are illegal despite the class day before taught us preciesly.that move
That's hilarious.

Maybe because it's a similar sport? It's just funny to me that no one would be mad at a 10 year tennis veteran to beat them in tennis yet in martial arts people get upset that 10 year veterans tap them out.

I wonder if some of it is a masculinity thing.

I wish I sucked more. When you don't suck there is an expectation to teach those non-sucking strategies. I want to get my ass beat more. How can I do that if I don't suck? (ego)
Enjoy the suck. There will be plenty of time when you don't suck. You can't ever go back to sucking unless you start Muay Thai, wrestling or something like poetry.

11 years. There's always a guy who makes me feel like I suck. Those are the people I try to roll with the most, so I don't suck as much.

11 years. There's always a guy who makes me feel like I suck. Those are the people I try to roll with the most, so I don't suck as much.
This. I've been training for over 7 years. Sure I can go in and submit white belts and some blue belts. Other purple belts and good blue belts are difficult to submit even though I get them into position to submit. When I roll with good brown belts and black belts like my instructors I feel like shit.

I mean my instructor just lays back and let's me pass his guard. He calmly lets me work. I feel like I'm drowning and he is just lying there setting me up. He submits me and isn't even breaking a sweat, while I'm panting and my gi is soaked. Then he tells me I'm doing good. I think to myself. Why do I feel like I'm not doing good.

There is always someone better than you. Some days your just on it. Who knows why. Maybe you got enough rest. You ate right that day. Something just clicks. That day you are on it. Your hitting your sweeps and just flowing.

Then another day nothing is working. Who knows. Maybe you ate McDonald for lunch or you been sleeping like shit. Or you have stress from work or home. You aren't clicking. Nothing you do seems to work. Your balance is off and your timing is just fucked. Shit happens man. So what you were subbed. It happens. I get subbed all the time. It's not the end of the world. I don't even know how many times I've tapped. I just take it as a learning experience. You tap, reset, bump fists and get back to the grind. I agree with the above. If you're getting upset because guys your rank are submitting you, you're going to have a hard journey and probably end up quitting. Jiu jitsu is hard.

That's hilarious.

Maybe because it's a similar sport? It's just funny to me that no one would be mad at a 10 year tennis veteran to beat them in tennis yet in martial arts people get upset that 10 year veterans tap them out.

I wonder if some of it is a masculinity thing.
I think it's an ego thing. Guys genuinely believe that they can fight naturally. I was a trainer for a law enforcement agency for a little while. You would be surprised as to how many guys tell you they are going to do this and that and this other thing when they get into a scrap.

For example, we were doing fist gear drills where the instructor wears this huge padded suit and the student must fight the instructor off. All strikes are allowed and it's a test to see how guys will react in a fight.

Well one guy came up and asked if elbows were allowed. He said his elbows were deadly and when he gets in close he was going to unload his bows. I said just do what you need to, to survive in there.

So we went at it with elbow guy and he just froze. He didn't know what to do. We had taught them basic techniques but he didn't even do what he said he was going to do. You would be surprised how much this happens due to shitty training at academies and recurrent training but that is for another discussion.

I could survive. It helped my mom being a judo brown belt that use to man handle me when I was a child.

Be Honest... how much did you suck and for how long when starting BJJ?

Interesting choice of words TS.

This. I've been training for over 7 years. Sure I can go in and submit white belts and some blue belts. Other purple belts and good blue belts are difficult to submit even though I get them into position to submit. When I roll with good brown belts and black belts like my instructors I feel like shit.

I mean my instructor just lays back and let's me pass his guard. He calmly lets me work. I feel like I'm drowning and he is just lying there setting me up. He submits me and isn't even breaking a sweat, while I'm panting and my gi is soaked. Then he tells me I'm doing good. I think to myself. Why do I feel like I'm not doing good.

There is always someone better than you. Some days your just on it. Who knows why. Maybe you got enough rest. You ate right that day. Something just clicks. That day you are on it. Your hitting your sweeps and just flowing.

Then another day nothing is working. Who knows. Maybe you ate McDonald for lunch or you been sleeping like shit. Or you have stress from work or home. You aren't clicking. Nothing you do seems to work. Your balance is off and your timing is just fucked. Shit happens man. So what you were subbed. It happens. I get subbed all the time. It's not the end of the world. I don't even know how many times I've tapped. I just take it as a learning experience. You tap, reset, bump fists and get back to the grind. I agree with the above. If you're getting upset because guys your rank are submitting you, you're going to have a hard journey and probably end up quitting. Jiu jitsu is hard.

Jesus. That comment about one day doing great and next doing horrible is so very true. Wow.

Initially when I'd have really good days id go home happy and excited thinking I've finally stopped sucking. Then next time I go in I get subbed 6 times in a row and feel dejected.

I think I've finally narrowed it down to one thing: fatigue and stress. My body just shuts downs after going everyday and just needs a rest. I have to remember I'm 34 now and no longer in my 20s.

Stress also affects me. Mostly financial stress.

Finally, I think daily mutlvatims and eating before class helps. I have a stressful Job so I often don't eat all day and eat after bjj class. I guess that's why I feel so weak

Have definitely had days when I suck, like one day I'm dominant against this one guy, sweeping him, tapping him, then the next day I can't do nothing but keep him in my guard. I mean sure, it's a success that he can't pass my guard but still...

a decade and I still suck
stop worrying and go train
nothing will substitute mat time.
nothing.

It takes a long time to get good at bjj brah. After years of training there are still days where it feels like you're the whitest of white belts.

The best thing is new you're 6+ months and you get some new guys joining. I was lucky the school I was at was pretty new so we would get a lot of new guys. 3 months vs 9 months doesn't seem that different if high level blues and up are crushing you, but when you're 6 months deep and you can sub the guys with only a month or two under their belts in living rolling you realize you are learning and getting better.

Martial arts is a lifetime of development, enjoy the ride brother.

Been off and on since 2000, still sick lol, I Know I improve but the guys I train with also improve so sometimes it feels like I'm staying still

i was incredible from the moment I tied my white belt for the first time. flying armbars and gogoplatas on my professor in our very first roll. started teaching the advanced class my third week of training. promoted to black belt 4th degree at our 6 month belt tests. then I got ringworm and retired as a 9 month red belt. some people said I was promoted a little too quickly, but I think I just caught onto the systema tactics quicker than most. osss.

good thread
i started today.
just came back to home from training.
i suck and i like it
brown belts said to me "dont give up, people give up easily, it takes time to learn".
thats it.

Back