Be Honest... how much did you suck and for how long when starting BJJ?

it's all relative. Most ppl can run into guys that make them feel like they suck. Just depends on how many of those ppl are in the same room at once.

Everybody sucks when they start. The tough part about trying to see progress is that your training partners are progressing while you are as well - some faster than others. Just keep showing up. That's all you need to do. One day someone completely new will come into the class, and you will see that you have progressed.

I started BJJ in 2007. I got hurt very badly at a Judo tournament the following year and couldn't really get back to training until early 2013. I've trained extremely consistently since then. I'm confident I will stop sucking any day now! :D

I'm garbage. I was OK back in 2010 before I quit. Going back now at age 41 with a gut I'm terrible. Get smashed. Only been back a week. I can't seem to breathe correctly I hold my breath without even knowing it

I had a really rough week training this week. Was off two weeks sick with a nasty virus, it's still not fully out of my system. went back to training on antibiotics and it was very hard on me rolling, was still able to get a few taps but I felt like I was moving in slow motion and everyone was so much stronger than me and I couldn't retain my guard I was so weak and slow. It felt horrible not being able to hand fight and break grips or explode out of positions like I always can. Got man handled a few times lol. I don't know why but antibiotics effect me in such a bad way that I am beyond weak, not sure if anybody has been through this but it was terrible! Still fun to be back on the mats.

Never tapped someone with an armbar or triangle in live rolling over a year or so. :(

Or tapped someone with any submission from guard basically.

Makes me feel like an absolute buffoon.

I haven't really managed to consistently land any one takedown either. Also makes me feel like a buffoon.
start throwing up Kimuras from guard, I promise you, that you will catch someone. I suck at close guard! I have my go to sweeps and a few subs but after that I suck! I'm more a deep half and lockdown player and I still have a long way to go with that. i'm such a top player, really working hard this year to catch my bottom up with my top game.

I had a really rough week training this week. Was off two weeks sick with a nasty virus, it's still not fully out of my system. went back to training on antibiotics and it was very hard on me rolling, was still able to get a few taps but I felt like I was moving in slow motion and everyone was so much stronger than me and I couldn't retain my guard I was so weak and slow. It felt horrible not being able to hand fight and break grips or explode out of positions like I always can. Got man handled a few times lol. I don't know why but antibiotics effect me in such a bad way that I am beyond weak, not sure if anybody has been through this but it was terrible! Still fun to be back on the mats.
Been sick for two weeks myself. Will go back to training on Tuesday. I'm pretty sure it's going to suck. I have taken my kids to class several times and have been tempted to stay for the adult class but I didn't. Even though I'm no longer contagious I knew that if I went back too early it would just run my body down even more. It sucks being sidelined.

Ive been training for 7 years and I still suck.
I can tap some good guys sometimes, but then I get my ass handed to me by someone who I cant really do anything at all to. And I feel like I suck big time.

The struggle is real.

Cool to see so many other people think they suck aswell.

I notice people.on here saying they train 3 times a week or so. I've been going 5 or 6 times a week since I started.

Yesterday and Monday I did horrible. On Monday noon class only one brown belt showed up so it was him and me. We rolled for about 30 minutes. He's about 20 pounds heavier than me and naturally I got smashed hard. No biggie

But then went to night class and there only 2 white belts there. Rolled with both and got subbed 3 times by both. They are 4 stripe white belts im 2. I felt so embarrassed.

Next day went to night class. Only black belt instructor and one 4 stripe blue belt who was back after 2 year lay off. He wrecked me within a minute.

I think my body is just sore and weak from going 5-6 times a week for last 3 months. Is that too much especially starting out ? Or should I keep it up?

I know there is a science to letting muscles heal etc....

As long as you enjoy, yu never train too much, as a white belt yu may feel that it doesnt help but it does.. its just not linear its a succession of plateau and improvements.
And you may not always have time to train that much when getting older

stop moaning.... no one is perfect ...just give your best and try your hardest

Uhh yeah.... antibiotics suck. Don't be too hard on yourself there

After the roll said "what am I doing wrong?"

"Nothing man. You're doing good."

"If I was doing good I wouldn't be getting tapped out."

So a couple upper belts tried explaining to him that his logic was silly and he still didn't really get it.

That's not silly logic, that's perfectly logical logic. It just happens in fact to be a very involved question that most average practitioners can't really give a satisfactory answer too, and at the end to the day 'train more' covers most of it anyways.

Back