BBC Our World: Australia and New Zealand Troubled Neighbours

In these cases even the high court decisions don't seem enough.
They made the decision invalid, he then made a new decision. The bikie can challenge the new decision.

Unlike merits, the judicial review does not substitute a decision. They are acting as designed.

Normally, for costs reasons a gov does not repeatedly go to the High Court over the same person.

I will admit, Dutton is acting like a bulldog in this scenario with his jaws locked in obstinately.

I think Dutton's powers over immigration are(were) arbitrary and lacking in sufficient checks or balances, as a symptom of a general lack of protection of individual rights and civil liberties in Australia.
BAM disagrees.
I haven't expressed an opinion on the arbitrariness of the decision merely just explaining there are checks on his power and where the check is and how it operates. However in that bikie's circumstances, in a practical sense it may not feel like it

To determine arbitrariness I would really need access to the file and evidence.

You mentioned he is a right wing populist. Does he have a strong backing for doing so or is he doing it by himself? What about the opposition, don´t they make any complaints? From what I could see, the New Zealand government want to take action, becasuse they are not ok how Australia is handling these matters. After all you are neighbours and friends, and as such there should be more rights than privilege in play.

The Liberal party is divided into factions. The most obvious division being the social conservatives from the economic liberals. The PM that was just ousted (for the second time) was an economic liberal, and lacked support from the conservative faction. Dutton was their man. The rising populism is a new trend (globally) he has sought to capitalise on.
Law and Order and Immigration are usually winning issues for the Liberals.

@BAM and @Ruprecht thank you for interesting reading. But I´m kind of lost here, what are you arguing about? I wonder what you both think of Duttons above the law decision making. There was this case about the biker going to the highest court and won, but he still got deported.
I don't really have an opinion as I would need to really invest myself and go through that matter in a lot if detail.

I will say that Dutton is embroiled in scandal regarding his decision making in that role and has been for some time whether it is au paires coming in for people with political capital or whether it is people being jettisoned out.

I am not a fan of his. Not his politics, not his demeanour or his decision making. He is truly repugnant.

I don't really have an opinion as I would need to really invest myself and go through that matter in a lot if detail.

I will say that Dutton is embroiled in scandal regarding his decision making in that role and has been for some time whether it is au paires coming in for people with political capital or whether it is people being jettisoned out.

I am not a fan of his. Not his politics, not his demeanour or his decision making. He is truly repugnant.

Thanks! And now I have learnt a new fancy word. Repugnant!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back