Bathroom Tile Saga Meets Tragic End

Good news is it should come out easily.

Update: floor tiles are cracking and the grout looks like shit. Also all the caulk is already receding and needs to be redone. If I could do it over again I'd have done it myself. Fuckin eh. Now I'll have to redo everything.

Tiling is an art.

You don't hire a guy who does landscaping who sometimes paints to paint a portrait of your family.

Tiling is an art.

You don't hire a guy who does landscaping who sometimes paints to paint a portrait of your family.
This guy is married into the family and only did handyman shit because he couldn't handle running his own business in a different field. He did nothing right and I'm out $2k. I'd like to beat the shit out of him.

2k is nothing

Do the demo and hauling yourself to cut a lot of the cost out

Do everything you can, buy the tiles, and just pay a tile guy who has been doing it for a very long time to tile and grout

2k is nothing

Do the demo and hauling yourself to cut a lot of the cost out

Do everything you can, buy the tiles, and just pay a tile guy who has been doing it for a very long time to tile and grout
Dude the grout is receding. I'm wondering if he used old shit or something not appropriate for floors.

Either hire a real pro or if you're confident in your abilities and have the time/patience, do it yourself. You can even do a practice run on a fake wall. If you are able to do it yourself (the right way) it may come out even nicer then a pro. My brother has done a lot of his own tiling including showers and shit looks perfect and flawless.

Either hire a real pro or if you're confident in your abilities and have the time/patience, do it yourself. You can even do a practice run on a fake wall. If you are able to do it yourself (the right way) it may come out even nicer then a pro. My brother has done a lot of his own tiling including showers and shit looks perfect and flawless.
I'm probably gonna try to make this last a few years and then break down and get a complete remodel of the bathroom w new tub and floor and tub surround. Probably laminate floor this time to avoid cracked tile.

I'm probably gonna try to make this last a few years and then break down and get a complete remodel of the bathroom w new tub and floor and tub surround. Probably laminate floor this time to avoid cracked tile.
Might as well get some of your money's worth. Now a days laminate or vinyl flooring are really good and they have good waterproof ones. I'm considering doing the same when we decide to remodel our mater bath, but only if we decide to go the plank route. There's some beautiful tile you just can't replicate well with vinyl or laminate.

Grout receding is strange. You sure it wasnt low to start with and is just catching dirt and becoming more obvious now?

Cracking is shitty but normal, receding after it is set is wierd. He might have fucked up and mixed it too thin and it seeped into the mortar bed.

You can re grout it fairly easily with an oscilating tool, a steady hand, and a free afternoon. If your hand isn't steady you"ll chip the tiles and the hole gets deeper.

The levelling clips and wedges make it so anyone can lay a flat floor with some patience and a careful eye. The layout and pattern take all the time and skill but setting floor tiles can be done easy peasy.

Tiling isnt fun, I dont blame you for hiring someone else to do it. Sucks you got taken but lucky it was only 2 grand homie.

Grout receding is strange. You sure it wasnt low to start with and is just catching dirt and becoming more obvious now?

Cracking is shitty but normal, receding after it is set is wierd. He might have fucked up and mixed it too thin and it seeped into the mortar bed.

You can re grout it fairly easily with an oscilating tool, a steady hand, and a free afternoon. If your hand isn't steady you"ll chip the tiles and the hole gets deeper.

The levelling clips and wedges make it so anyone can lay a flat floor with some patience and a careful eye. The layout and pattern take all the time and skill but setting floor tiles can be done easy peasy.

Tiling isnt fun, I dont blame you for hiring someone else to do it. Sucks you got taken but lucky it was only 2 grand homie.
Can I just repair the cracked tile with epoxy?

Can I just repair the cracked tile with epoxy?

Depends what its made of but not likely. If it cracked its likely bc there was a hollow spot in the mortar bed.

If you still have the tilesand the grout already looks shit replacing one is no big deal.

If the floor tiles are cracking and separating it could be because of a leak. Lots of diy guys install toilets without using a thick enough wax seal so the toilet leaks. Or they don't properly secure it. Check to see if the toilet moves. If it does then chances are pretty good it's leaking underneath.

Back