Bathroom Tile Saga Meets Tragic End

deadshot138

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
A while back I made a thread asking how hard it was to tile a shower. You guys had awesome responses. Unfortunately due to work and other obligations I didn't have the time to do the project myself so I hired a handyman to do it. Holy shit was that a mistake. Shitty uneven grout lines, insane lippage, didn't use kerdi board or redguard prior to installation. The guy was a fucking hack. Even chipped my bathtub to boot. Let my pain be a lesson to you, Sherbros. You get what you pay for. Hire an actual tile person for tile jobs or do it yourself if you have the patience and know-how.

A while back I made a thread asking how hard it was to tile a shower. You guys had awesome responses. Unfortunately due to work and other obligations I didn't have the time to do the project myself so I hired a handyman to do it. Holy shit was that a mistake. Shitty uneven grout lines, insane lippage, didn't use kerdi board or redguard prior to installation. The guy was a fucking hack. Even chipped my bathtub to boot. Let my pain be a lesson to you, Sherbros. You get what you pay for. Hire an actual tile person for tile jobs or do it yourself if you have the patience and know-how.

Did you complain to him?

Post his name, address and list of fears. Il take it from here.

No, he worked cheap and I figure I got what I paid for. Lesson learned.

We own a remodeling & paint business. Quality, skilled labor isn't cheap. People have no idea what things cost but everyone is an expert with the Internet. My favorite is when people post asking for a "fair price". Fair to who?

People don’t have a clue, I’ve been going into homes for the last 30 years and correcting other peoples shitty work. Most everyone who tries to save money ends up spending significantly more than they would have if they just paid full price to the correct person..lesson learned TS.

We are in the process of doing a big bathroom remodel and must have met with ten different contractors. The guy were settled on is a very experienced tiler who was quite detailed oriented and perfectionistic, just from looking at all the videos and pictures on his Instagram that he posts daily of his projects.

While his fees were certainly higher then many others, I kind of understand where he is coming from because the attention to detail can really pay off so as to avoid experiences such as your own.

All this to say, sorry to hear man. That sucks and hope that things for better with any future Reno's

I don't know why people suddenly get retarded when it comes to construction and mechanics..

No one would go see a kind of doctor or kind of lawyer..

Sorry for your pain though..

You should have some Mexicans from home depot and they probably would have done a better job

Yeah, fuck tiling. My fiance convinced me to put backsplash in our kitchen and it was a complete disaster. The problem was she picked the shittiest, cheapest tile she could find that had both tiny glass and tile pieces. 3 saw blades, 1 wet table saw, countless arguments and 100+ dollars wasted on that idea. To make matters worse...this is for a house that we are selling since we are moving to a different city. So all effort and money was wasted on a house that we will no longer be living in 3 months from now. We wanted to hire a handy man, but a quick search on the state.gov website allowed to view his criminal past before hiring him.

That sucks man. Tile work definitely takes some skill. Like you said, got what you paid for. I take a lot of pride in every tile job we do at work. I can’t abide poor craftsmanship. Honestly though, I’m amazed at how often “professionals” screw up the basics.

If I don’t have the knowledge or skills to do it myself, I will hire a real pro. Betty Jo’s brother in law probably has less skills and knowledge in renovations than I do.

Worst things to do yourself/not hire a real professional for:

1.) Tiling/grout work
2.) Hanging drywall
3.) Mudding drywall

Sorry to hear, TS.

Oh yeah. Even hiring a company who has a tile guy, they will try to fuck it up. You have to be watching them constantly, making sure they’re not cutting corners. Because that is all they do. Whatever they can get away with, they will try to get away with.

I don't know why people suddenly get retarded when it comes to construction and mechanics..

No one would go see a kind of doctor or kind of lawyer..

Sorry for your pain though..

Remember, Doctors and Lawyers are only practicing.

What do you call a person who graduated from medical school last in their class?
Doctor

Worst things to do yourself/not hire a real professional for:

1.) Tiling/grout work
2.) Hanging drywall
3.) Mudding drywall

Sorry to hear, TS.

This list is BS.

Tiling and grouting floors is easy. Walls are hard

Hanging drywall is easy. Mudding is time consuming but not difficult.

This list is BS.

Tiling and grouting floors is easy. Walls are hard

Hanging drywall is easy. Mudding is time consuming but not difficult.

If you say so, brah. I've never been good at the finish work and I've never seen a DIYer do a professional job.

Back