Basic JJ techniques

NeelyWCU said:
i did hear that before...and its the truth...who cares how many sub techniques you know if u cant even get to the point of pulling them off? i think BJJ schools def. need to start drilling the basics hardcore...concepts and techniques of passing the guard...guarding the guard...holding postions...bc if not then theres no point of learning the more advanced techniques

still tho..its good to roll just for the fuck of it...if you keep your eyes open and see what other people who are better than you are doing to neutralize you

whoever said it was right...you should defintely keep a notebook with you and write out what you learned each day...cause sometimes i dont even have enough time to get into all the detail on how i can improve and what i did wrong

you should just do wrestling if you want to work on positions

Where I train the class format is similar to what you said, but new guys starting in the class are usually paired with a higher belt durring training (both technique training, and free sparring). It's durring this time spent with the upper belts that most of our guys learn the basics. So if you really want to know, pair up with someone good durring the free roll time and ask them to help you with whatever position you want to work on. Have them give you tips, then start your sparring from that position to work on it.

mmahamzah said:
you should just do wrestling if you want to work on positions

nah...its not that im interesting in learning positions...its just that should be the basis of your game...who cares if can get the mount if you cant hold it? who cares if your learn a million subs if u cant keep someone in side control?

cmon now

The Gracie basic,intermediate and advanced series with Royve and Rorion deals mostly with the dumb basics pretty well, its a bit repetative and boring (like most instructionals) but it is mostly concerned with basics and has enough detail to get you on your way.

Thanks for the link mmahamzah, very informative clips not to mention they're also free

Back