Basic JJ techniques

NeelyWCU

Brown Belt
Reaction score
i see all these like.."high tech/double armbar setups when your opponent passes to the right and hes lookin to his left while his right arm is on your left lapel and yada yada" instructionals...but is there anything out there (video...website...ect) that gets into details about things that happen all the time?

ex. maintaing the mount....strategy on being sidemounted....holding sidemount...simple shit like that...but its not really simple, i guess its just not as appealing as crazy submission

i mean obviously ive seen things about how to get to those positions...but im looking for some hardcore detail on philosophy about escaping sidemount/holding it, ect.

anyone recommend anything out there theyve come across?

craig kukuk stuff is pretty good for simple things

Mario Sperrys tapes, Saulo Ribeiro's set and Renzo/Kukuk DVDs are good beginner instructionals.

Renzo/Kukuk instructional covers the basics.

that website seems really good...unfortunetly im in the college library and i cant play the sound of it...but there seems to be a lot of good stuff.."holding the mount" has like...2:30 seconds worth of info...so thanks again

that website seems really good...unfortunetly im in the college library and i cant play the sound of it...but there seems to be a lot of good stuff.."holding the mount" has like...2:30 seconds worth of info...so thanks again

i really need to tune up my technique when it comes to holding positions/escaping

NeelyWCU said:

sure anytime im doing judo at the moment

Well, you learn that sort of thing at a Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu class, but if you aren't currently attending a Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu class, www.bjj.org is helpful. Or, as far as instructionals, I love Cesar Gracie's set - the Beginners one is what you're looking for.

Kenny Florian's BJJ Seminar DVD is great! Full of solid basics with lots of details. He goes over a range of techniques he considers tournament tested and safe, starting with takedowns, and working through closed guard, sitting guard, passing guard, side control, knee-on-belly, mount and rear mount. Nothing fancy, just basics covered in depth with his insight into training and competing. He also opens with some nice BJJ-inspired warmups and drills.

You can get it here:

http://www.jiujitsugear.com/shop/xcart/product.php?productid=1080&cat=0&bestseller

NeelyWCU said:

i really need to tune up my technique when it comes to holding positions/escaping

are you currently taking bjj classes?

phenomfan1529 said:
are you currently taking bjj classes?

yes i def. am...the format is tho...you go in...warm up/pushups/abs/ect for like 15 min...go over 3- techniques that flow with each other and then end up sparring...they do have a class where you go over basics, i just need to get off work for it...but still...it seems like a lot of the places ive trained at (3 diff.places) seem to kind of throw you in the mix before you even know whats going on...and its not that i dont know whats going on (im actually alright for someone with like 2 months gi work...i did no gi for a bit) its just i want to bring about my basics....instead of dweling on techniques i dont come across a lot to use

NeelyWCU said:
yes i def. am...the format is tho...you go in...warm up/pushups/abs/ect for like 15 min...go over 3- techniques that flow with each other and then end up sparring...they do have a class where you go over basics, i just need to get off work for it...but still...it seems like a lot of the places ive trained at (3 diff.places) seem to kind of throw you in the mix before you even know whats going on...and its not that i dont know whats going on (im actually alright for someone with like 2 months gi work...i did no gi for a bit) its just i want to bring about my basics....instead of dweling on techniques i dont come across a lot to use

oh, I see where your coming from bro. a lot of people at my gym want to skip the basics & get down to the subs. its cool that you want to get down the holding/postioning. like somebody once said (i have no idea who) position before the submission! or something like that

i did hear that before...and its the truth...who cares how many sub techniques you know if u cant even get to the point of pulling them off? i think BJJ schools def. need to start drilling the basics hardcore...concepts and techniques of passing the guard...guarding the guard...holding postions...bc if not then theres no point of learning the more advanced techniques

still tho..its good to roll just for the fuck of it...if you keep your eyes open and see what other people who are better than you are doing to neutralize you

whoever said it was right...you should defintely keep a notebook with you and write out what you learned each day...cause sometimes i dont even have enough time to get into all the detail on how i can improve and what i did wrong

There is an excellent book series from Invisible Cities Press.

Brazilian Jiu-jitsu: theory and technique
black belt techniques
submission grappling
championship techniques

Back