Barefoot running shoes for boxing?

Heh. Well, here's part of the reason:

Sorry, man... it has nothing to do with you. I always sneer at biased research in general, and Harvard in particular.

Understandable. There are other organizations part of the funding. And without delving too deep into what I can already see turning into a debate, I must say that I highly doubt Vibram paid Harvard to blatantly lie about the results.

I gota the KOS, it was like magic .. all of a suden i can run with out my shins felling like they have been hit by a bat after one block, or haveing baseball size knot in my cavs...

Just bought the KSO's today. Walked around/ went about my daily business for a few hours wearing them, I like the feel so far. I've always liked walking around barefoot, and the Vibrams feel very similar to that. I was also surprised by the look, I thought they were gonna look super ugly but they actually look fine.

Planning on just walking around in them to get acclimated as was recommended to me, at least for the first week or 2. I'll try to jog in them in a week or so, and will try to get back into boxing & jits ASAP. Unless it's different in the ring/ hardwood floors, I think pivoting normally on the shoes might present a tad bit of a problem, because they seem to have alot of grip.

Just bought the KSO's today. Walked around/ went about my daily business for a few hours wearing them, I like the feel so far. I've always liked walking around barefoot, and the Vibrams feel very similar to that. I was also surprised by the look, I thought they were gonna look super ugly but they actually look fine.

Planning on just walking around in them to get acclimated as was recommended to me, at least for the first week or 2. I'll try to jog in them in a week or so, and will try to get back into boxing & jits ASAP. Unless it's different in the ring/ hardwood floors, I think pivoting normally on the shoes might present a tad bit of a problem, because they seem to have alot of grip.

My workout was also light when I got the shoes. I ran only for ten minutes, then progressively added time and sprints into the workout. I ran around 4 1/2 miles Wednesday and wasn't too sore the day after. Beware of your arches and toes: they will hurt.

Maybe the new TrekSport version would be better for pivoting and boxing motions?

Vibram FiveFingers: TrekSport_M

large.jpg

large.jpg

I participated in this weekend's 1st annual barefoot run in nyc, which included several talks from leading barefoot advocates including Dr. Dan Lieberman from Harvard University. With most things "fad-ish" I was skeptical about anything beyond the norm and nothing beats VFFs. Well, after watching the presentation and data backin research by Dr. Lieberman and his team, I am a firm believer in using barefoot training to strengthen my feet and forefoot striking when running. Basically, barefoot training equals less impact injuries because of forefoot striking and stronger/healthier feet by allowing the foot to do what it was meant to do naturally (vs thick soled shoes which make up for weak foot muscles).

I'd like to chime in that although theres a lot of research and evidence coming out on the benefits of barefoot running, nothing is conclusive as of now. From personal experience, I do notice a huge difference since switching to Vibrams. Running forefoot I feel transfers over to mma/boxing better than heel strike running anyway. Theres a reason boxers do endless rounds of jump roping, to get light on the ball of their feet. You never see anyone jump roping on their heels do you? With that said the evidence and research is inconclusive as of now, but I'm a big believer nonetheless!

Back