Barefoot running shoes for boxing?

Connoisseur

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys, so I just got some cash for my birthday recently, and I was thinking of buying some new shoes. I go to a boxing/ Jits gym, where we occasionally do wrestling practice. For reference, the boxing gym (upstairs) has hardwood floors and ring, and the jits gym (downstairs) has a cage & mats.

So here's the question- would it be worth buying a pair of barefoot style running shoes? Whenever I run consistently, I start getting shin splints, and i've heard that barefoot running is better for your joints & muscles. Should I buy a pair of Vibram's, or should I just skip running altogether and buy a pair of wrestling/ boxing shoes?

I've been told that wrestling shoes can double as boxing shoes, so that could be an acceptable replacement. However, I was wondering- are barefoot style shoes good for boxing? Would they get torn up/ not work well on hardwood floors? Here's the pair that I was considering, for reference:
vff_bikila.jpg

They will have very very good grip on most kinds of floor. It is after all a very soft, thin and flexible rubber sole.

Can't contribute much more as I really have no idea of what constitutes a good boxing shoe.

I'm in boxing and I own a pair of Vibrams. In all honesty I don't see how the boxing/wrestling high-top is any better for you than the standard running shoe. The standard running shoe, according to Harvard research, actually hinders muscle development in the body and may cause joint and muscle pain through the legs and back.

By investing in the Vibram's you get a versatile shoe: it can be used in and out of the ring, especially for your jui-jitsu.

I run, lift, rock climb, and practice in my KSO's. If you buy the boxing shoes then you just payed for shoes you can only wear when boxing. Your Vibram's, however, can be used anywhere. And that's why you want to invest in the Five Fingers.

I use split sole wrestling shoes for boxing. I've also used regular running shoes/cross trainers and they just don't work as well for me.

I've never tried on vibrams but just from looking at the pic, I don't see how they could offer the same support for quick direction changes, side to side movements, and pivots.

Depends on what you mean by support. The Vibrams basically feel like bare feet coated with soft rubber.

I don't think Vibrams would work as well as shoes designed for boxing or wrestling, but they would work imo and give your legs a better workout. There has been nothing conclusive about Vibrams, but I havent had a single injury since wearing them. I recommend getting the KSO's over the Bikilas simply because they're more versatile. I wear my KSO's almost exclusively for everything I do, and I would say they have made a big impact on my life, no joke. Even if not for boxing, try a pair and see what you think!

I think they would be great, I've thought about getting them for boxing, wrestling, and running but I don't want to spend the $$ and I really prefer to go barefoot. I don't really like wearing my wrestling shoes but its hard not to for wrestling when I'm constantly injuring toes.
If I wasn't so cheap I would have these by now.

I'm in boxing and I own a pair of Vibrams. In all honesty I don't see how the boxing/wrestling high-top is any better for you than the standard running shoe. The standard running shoe, according to Harvard research, actually hinders muscle development in the body and may cause joint and muscle pain through the legs and back.

By investing in the Vibram's you get a versatile shoe: it can be used in and out of the ring, especially for your jui-jitsu.

I run, lift, rock climb, and practice in my KSO's. If you buy the boxing shoes then you just payed for shoes you can only wear when boxing. Your Vibram's, however, can be used anywhere. And that's why you want to invest in the Five Fingers.

Hey Law Bob - How long have you had yours? 2 of the BB I work out with have been wearing them and just rave about what the shoes have done for their lower body pain & flexibility. The don't do a lot of running (non as far as I know) but wear the shoes on the mat and have a pair for outdoors (and they really are ugly!).

Hey guys, so I just got some cash for my birthday recently, and I was thinking of buying some new shoes. I go to a boxing/ Jits gym, where we occasionally do wrestling practice. For reference, the boxing gym (upstairs) has hardwood floors and ring, and the jits gym (downstairs) has a cage & mats.

So here's the question- would it be worth buying a pair of barefoot style running shoes? Whenever I run consistently, I start getting shin splints, and i've heard that barefoot running is better for your joints & muscles. Should I buy a pair of Vibram's, or should I just skip running altogether and buy a pair of wrestling/ boxing shoes?

I've been told that wrestling shoes can double as boxing shoes, so that could be an acceptable replacement. However, I was wondering- are barefoot style shoes good for boxing? Would they get torn up/ not work well on hardwood floors? Here's the pair that I was considering, for reference:
vff_bikila.jpg

I have the Vibrams but I don't use them for martial arts. We do everything barefoot. They do help your foot health but you have to change the way you run. You can't heel strike when jogging:
YouTube - Barefoot Heel Strike Running with Force - Slow Motion
You have to learn how to do this:
YouTube - Vibram FiveFingers Forefoot Strike Running with Force - Close-Up, Slow Motion

It takes some practice, but just run on the treadmill at first for like 5 minutes at a time to let your feet get used to it. You end up using your other joints to absorb the shock. It make s ahuge difference and I am no where near as sore after a run as I was before switching to barefoot runners.

The model that you posted in the marathon version. It has extra padding which takes away from ground feel. I would go with the KSO model. They have a nice thin sole and you feel every little texture on the ground. They are great. Once you start wearing them you will want to wear them every where. If I am not at work I am wearing some sort of minimalist shoe.

I use them for weight lifting. I actually find I get great foot strength just carrying weights around the weight room wearing the VFFs. I do cardio work with them too, pretty much just wear them as sandals in the summertime.

I got a pair of the KSO Treks, they are for hiking, they have some tread and more padding at the cost of foot feel.

On hardwood floors I would try the KSO's. If you need more padding try the Bakilas. They would be great for boxing - not good for kick boxing or ground fighting. The fit is something you need to do in store. Don't mail order them.

Hey Law Bob - How long have you had yours? 2 of the BB I work out with have been wearing them and just rave about what the shoes have done for their lower body pain & flexibility. The don't do a lot of running (non as far as I know) but wear the shoes on the mat and have a pair for outdoors (and they really are ugly!).

I think a year and a half or two years now. I love them. I will own a pair for the rest of my life, continually switching them out.

Even after climbing in southern Az (yes, we have mountains and not just desert), rolling, running, and just wearing around, they are still in tact.

My only complaint is the smell: after a while they will smell HORRIBLE. Like clear the room bad. And my feet don't naturally stink. You have to wash these shoes weekly, if not soak them in vinegar once in a while.

I'm just recovering from a knee injury that occurred a month ago, and am going to start jogging. I think i'll probably go buy myself a pair of the KSO's as you all suggested, start jogging in them, and in a few weeks time if my knee's still doing well, go back to boxing.

I have the Bikila and they will be the only shoes I EVER run in.

I've tried all types of regular running shoes, only to run into injury in the long run.

I've been running in my Vibram shoes for 3 months now, and besides the first few weeks of leg/foot muscle soreness (which is to be expected), they have been great.

UFC fighter Rashad Evans trains in Five Fingers, there is a video out there somewhere.

Also, here's another question- I actually sprained my MCL right after posting this thread initially, and it's just getting to the point where I can do light jogging/ physical activity. Would I be at risk for injuring myself if I bought these and started jogging with the Vibrams?

Would it be more beneficial to start training my muscles to get used to barefoot shoes now, since I haven't been running for a while? I plan on swimming and jogging more and more in the near future, and I want to do this the right way... any opinions?

I have the KSO.
my feet aren't quite the same length so fit on one if my feet isn't as good.
They do get sweaty on me.

One more minus... My toes pop out when I kick hard...so no kicking for me in them.

Hmm, interesting. Doesn't seem like they're ideal for kickboxing.

Anyone have any idea how they would affect a knee that's being rehabbed?

I bought them a year ago for 70 + tax, but now they went up to 80 before tax.

Small tip for vibram users, duct tape the strap where it meets the loops. It'll increase the longevity of the shoes by a LOT.
KSO Vibram Five Fingers strap mod - reinforcing the strap on FiveFinger KSOs with tap to reduce wear and tear
He wraps the whole strap, but I only wrap the stress points, by the time I did this mod a few months after using my vibrams almost exclusively, they were worn down pretty good. So wrap them early!

I would say from personal experience I feel less impact on my knees jogging with vibrams through the Pose Method, but there still is impact. Whether or not your knees are ready for light jogging should probably be asked by a doctor or similar professional.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back