Bare knuckle hook

First, thanks for actually being helpful in your reply. Apparently some other people spend so much time in the heavies that they've forgotten what an actual discussion is.

Second, I get what you're saying. I think most people would rely on what they knew in that instance, and not try to change how they throw mid-fight.

I now agree. When I think of how a jab is thrown with a glove on, and how I would throw it without a glove, the differences become pretty clear. Thanks for the perspective.

You're welcome. I like to talk technique, since I'm training alone again since everyone left the gym I'm at to go to an expensive one. SO I don't get the oppurtunity at the gym anymore.

I have short and thick hands and forearms that resemble the big end of a baseball bat, where as some people might have long skinny hands like the small end of the bat. So I feel more safe/comfortable in my hands when using them more like clubs than projectiles, if that makes sense.

I've found my self experimenting on the bag with throwing punches more like they would have been thrown by the classic bare knucklers of the 1800's and 1900's. It really does feel more powerfull and less damaging to my hands. I NEVER hit a bag or mit bare handed though in the gym, I have hand wraps at a minimum and have JUST recently gone from boxing glove and MMA glove to a round or so of just wraps. I don't want to mess my hands up, but I feel right now if I'm going to get in a fight, it will be on the street with no gloves since I'm not sparring under sport contexts right now.

You should probably steer clear of explaining technical aspects of fighting.

You post nothing helpful anywhere. All of your posts are either "lol /thread", some seriously subjective shit like "nog should've won", or snide remarks like this. I wasn't explaining dick, I was asking a question and putting it into context. You have no ideas, no conclusions of your own, and you seam to only be interested in the sound of your own voice, and care nothing about gaining new knowledge. You, sir, are a troll of the lowest degree. 2/10.

If you lift your elbow shoulder high and thumb facing you and use your hip without moving your arm you will minimize the risk of injuring your hand, and also, you will spend less energy because you are using momentum and kinetic energy. Just make sure that your punch connects at the same time as your back foot's heel touches the floor, and sit down on your punch. Everything nice and relaxed and no winding the punch, just short and crisp.

You're welcome. I like to talk technique, since I'm training alone again since everyone left the gym I'm at to go to an expensive one. SO I don't get the oppurtunity at the gym anymore.

I have short and thick hands and forearms that resemble the big end of a baseball bat, where as some people might have long skinny hands like the small end of the bat. So I feel more safe/comfortable in my hands when using them more like clubs than projectiles, if that makes sense.

I've found my self experimenting on the bag with throwing punches more like they would have been thrown by the classic bare knucklers of the 1800's and 1900's. It really does feel more powerfull and less damaging to my hands. I NEVER hit a bag or mit bare handed though in the gym, I have hand wraps at a minimum and have JUST recently gone from boxing glove and MMA glove to a round or so of just wraps. I don't want to mess my hands up, but I feel right now if I'm going to get in a fight, it will be on the street with no gloves since I'm not sparring under sport contexts right now.

That makes sense. I've got rangy arms, so I use em to their full extent. Although in a bareknuckle match I'm not sure how much good it would do me. I tend to train with gloves on mostly since my intentions aren't to be a professional bareknuckle brawler =] However I do occasionally do bagwork with only my wraps to help strengthen my knuckles and wrist.

If you lift your elbow shoulder high and thumb facing you and use your hip without moving your arm you will minimize the risk of injuring your hand, and also, you will spend less energy because you are using momentum and kinetic energy. Just make sure that your punch connects at the same time as your back foot's heel touches the floor, and sit down on your punch. Everything nice and relaxed and no winding the punch, just short and crisp.

Almost verbatim what my previous coach taught me. When I move my arm into hook position with my thumb-up, I can feel excessive strain on my shoulder. Turning my fist over immediately removes the strain, giving me a larger range of motion. Always worked better for me.

This is EXACTLY how I was taught to strike. The hand is merely there and the hips and legs actually drive the hand towards it's target. However, with no glove on I just feel better with the thumb up instead of facing me.

Only exception being that my primary boxing coach taught me that it is acceptable to leave the hand in the vertical position for some strikes. Maybe I'm the exception to the rule?

For tight hooks with the elbow bent I like to connect with the first two knuckles with my thumb down. I understand there is a risk here of connecting shallow and clipping the pinky, but I've never hurt myself this way in sparring or on the heavybag. I also like to throw short hooks with the first two knuckles with the thumb facing me, it's safer, but I'm a little more comfortable with the thumb down. I feel like I get a little more power from rolling my shoulder over.

For long hooks I like to use a ridgehand. Alternatively if you're not comfortable with ridgehand, throwing with a closed fist; turn the first knuckle over so your thumb is facing down and to the outside, and strike with the inside of the first knuckle. (this is how Igor V threw the Ukranian Hard Punch. Also how Fedor throws his hooks. When he broke his thumb on Zulu's head it was because he failed to turn his knuckle over and hit thumb first.)

Throwing a BARE knuckle strike with the same hand position as you would with a boxing glove on will break the hand and wrist. This is why I throw my bare knuckle hooks with a vertical hand.

fist.jpg

People will throw it all kinds of different ways, but I find this to be the most comfortable, the easiest and gives a good wallop with a bare fist.

This looks like a sure fist breaker to me.

This looks like a sure fist breaker to me.

lol that pic isn't the best for showing what I meant. I had to do alot of editing to it to just get it like that. Stupid safe search being on at work blocked most pics.

in a fight most people dont feel pain right away so it doesn't really matter. adrenalin rushes stop the pain

in a fight most people dont feel pain right away so it doesn't really matter. adrenalin rushes stop the pain

what good is throwing punches like a retard, breaking your hand and setting yourself away from training for a month or so?

How about asking the Kyokushinkais, the karate guys who actually -only- train, spar and compete bareknuckle?

YouTube - Watson BJJ

At 22 seconds in the instructor throws it like I do.

Yeah that's the thumb-up tight hook. That's probably the safest way to throw it. I like the thumb-in way a little better because I feel like the shoulder roll helps my power but the danger is clipping the pinky and getting what's called a boxer's fracture.

Yeah that's the thumb-up tight hook. That's probably the safest way to throw it. I like the thumb-in way a little better because I feel like the shoulder roll helps my power but the danger is clipping the pinky and getting what's called a boxer's fracture.

On a side note, I may actually check this place out, as I live in St. Louis.

But the thumb up hook only works on a small distance so you can it with the knuckles. On a longer distance you would hit with your fingers.

have your fist at a 45 degree angle. That will stop it rolling.

How about asking the Kyokushinkais, the karate guys who actually -only- train, spar and compete bareknuckle?

Those guys are prohibited from striking the head with their hands when they compete.

Always aim with your second knuckle-the one next to your pinky-and LET THE OTHER KUCKLES TAKE CARE OF THEMSELVES. They'll take care of themselves all right, for the shape of the fist makes it impossible for them to do otherwise.

Let me repeat, if your punch landed correctly in the power-line fashion, the three knuckles- pinky, second and middle-will share the pressure and distribute it over the three hand bones behind the knuckles. That lessens the chance of breaking or crushing any one knuckle, or fracturing any one hand bone.

Jack Dempsey Championship Fighting

Always aim with your second knuckle-the one next to your pinky-and LET THE OTHER KUCKLES TAKE CARE OF THEMSELVES. They'll take care of themselves all right, for the shape of the fist makes it impossible for them to do otherwise.

Let me repeat, if your punch landed correctly in the power-line fashion, the three knuckles- pinky, second and middle-will share the pressure and distribute it over the three hand bones behind the knuckles. That lessens the chance of breaking or crushing any one knuckle, or fracturing any one hand bone.

Jack Dempsey Championship Fighting

Well put

Back