Bare knuckle hook

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by Uchaaa**, Oct 15, 2010.

1. Uchaaa**

Uchaaa** Banned Banned

How to position your fist when throwing a bare knuckle hook to prevent hand injury?

2. mjw1

mjw1 Blue Belt

I throw it vertical and short so the force from the impact travels straight down the arm to my elbow and then out of the body. SOme people throw wider/longer hooks but the force of impact bounces back and then out about half the forearm if you want to get technical.

3. meauneau

meauneau Brown Belt

Try to connect with the first two knuckles. Empty handed, better to hook with palm, it's safer.

4. Edison Carasio

Edison Carasio Excellence of execution belt Platinum Member

Bare knuckle, I would position my hand straight up and down with my thump closer to the sky than the ground. I would land the punch to the side of the face with the flat part of my hand making contact.

5. panamaican

panamaican Senior Moderator Staff Member Senior Moderator

Open palm is safer on your hands. If you're throwing it head high, you might as well use the elbow. If you have to hit with a fist, I like vertical but that's because I've hurt my wrist throwing it horizontally.

6. Uchaaa**

Uchaaa** Banned Banned

Can you draw a picture in paint or make a pickture of you so I can understand it better?

I was thinking of thumb down so you can hit with the knuckles and not with the finger.

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

I dont feel comfortable throwing with an open hand.

7. panamaican

panamaican Senior Moderator Staff Member Senior Moderator

I think the other gentleman was referring to a vertical fist with the pinky at the bottom and the index finger at the top. Ask enough people and you'll get as many different answers on the hook.

Curiousity, why not try the elbow if you're not comfortable with an open hand strike?

8. Lionidas

Lionidas Brown Belt

I always throw my hooks with my thumb upward.
    It's faster, more accurate and it works for me.

I've tried hooks with my thumb facing my body but it tends to put unnecessary strain on my shoulder and I lose all my power.

9. meauneau

meauneau Brown Belt

That mean improper technique. If done correctly it should come out easily with no strain and stress on the shoulder.

10. ufcufcufc***

ufcufcufc*** Purple Belt

like meanu said, try to connect with the first two knuckles. TS, are you planning have a street fight?

11. Edison Carasio

Throwing a BARE knuckle strike with the same hand position as you would with a boxing glove on will break the hand and wrist. This is why I throw my bare knuckle hooks with a vertical hand.

[​IMG]

People will throw it all kinds of different ways, but I find this to be the most comfortable, the easiest and gives a good wallop with a bare fist.

12. meauneau

meauneau Brown Belt

^^^ That will break your thumb if thrown from long range, short range you can get away with it. Look how Igor Vovchanchyn hooked in the bare knuckle vale tudo fights.

13. KyleInAction

KyleInAction ***HOPKINS BELT***

Why, exactly? It would seam to me like if you have properly conditioned your knuckles and wrist, throwing a punch *properly* would be the best way. Not to mention that the middle knuckles on your finger are weaker that their top counterparts. Add in that power is the result of the rotation of all participating joints, and that a palm-out hook generates more rotation than a palm-in hook, hooking with your palm out and connecting with your top knuckles seams to be the best option.

There will always be the possibility of breaking your hands/wrist when they are not properly protected. If you have to fight bareknuckle, make sure you *have* to first, and then use proper technique.

Anyone with more bare-knuckle expertise can feel free to correct me, but I don't think very many people here are street-fighting experts.

14. Edison Carasio

Yes I agree. Most of my hooks are thrown short and from inside a close distance, as that is my fighting style (My reach is average at best and I'm thick and compact so I fight from inside).

15. nni

nni Orange Belt

You should probably steer clear of explaining technical aspects of fighting.

16. KyleInAction

Can you correct me, then? I'm here to learn as much as anything, and I put a disclaimer towards the bottom.

17. Edison Carasio

In my experience, a boxing glove provides much more protection to the tiny bones of the hands. There's a reason why old timey boxers use their stances and techniques that look goofy to us by today's standards. If I'm in close and I throw a tight compact hook, I personally throw it with my arm up at a 90 degree angle at the arm pit with my palm facing me and my hand tight.

I don't throw it like the guy in this pic I found.

[​IMG]

I was taught this way, and I'm not saying it's right. I've tried it all kinds of ways, and this feels the least stressfull for my hand and gives ME the best results. You're results and methods will vary.

I found a pic that closer to how I do it.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 15, 2010
  18. barnowl

barnowl Green Belt

A proper GLOVED punch is a different beast than a proper BARE HAND technique. The boxing glove changed everything from the how the jab worked to the way the boxing guard was used and looked.

Look at how the stand up guard is starting to evolve in MMA. It is getting narrower and longer than than a modern boxing guard and is starting to look more like the oate 1800 early 1900 boxing guards.

19. Edison Carasio

YES. I agree with this statement. I noticed Nate Diaz fighting like this previously.

In a bare knuckle fight, I'd probably be more inclined personally to use leg kicks and open handed strikes if I had to.

20. KyleInAction

First, thanks for actually being helpful in your reply. Apparently some other people spend so much time in the heavies that they've forgotten what an actual discussion is.

Second, I get what you're saying. I think most people would rely on what they knew in that instance, and not try to change how they throw mid-fight.

I now agree. When I think of how a jab is thrown with a glove on, and how I would throw it without a glove, the differences become pretty clear. Thanks for the perspective.