Barao vs Wineland

This is pretty much what I insinuated.

well, your friend is correct in my opinion - Eddie would win a MMA boxing match. It's just the problem of him forcing that kind of match. He has the better hand speed and angles but not the kicking or offensive wrestling game to negate Barao's strengths. If he's able to make Renan pay for each kick with a flurry of punches, then he's take a step in the right direction.

Last edited:
I think winelands boxing may give Barao problems or at the very least make it a very hard fight

Barao all the way. Terrible match for Wineland.

He needs to utilize his height and reach. Barao has good kicks, but rarely uses his hands to fight at distance. He seems to instead like throw a flurry of alternating hooks.

Wineland has to land a lot of straight punches, make Barao hesitate every time he takes his foot off the floor to kick. Push him against the fence and don't allow Barao to turn him, use his leverage to score shots there and dirty box.

Wineleand can win this, but he will have to fight the best fight of his career to do so.

Barao is like the Aldo of BW division, possibly better as you will usually see Barao submit his opponents on the ground where Aldo go for ground and pound. Honestly I can see Barao destroying Wineland/Cruz and holding the title for years.

He needs to utilize his height and reach. Barao has good kicks, but rarely uses his hands to fight at distance. He seems to instead like throw a flurry of alternating hooks.

Wineland has to land a lot of straight punches, make Barao hesitate every time he takes his foot off the floor to kick. Push him against the fence and don't allow Barao to turn him, use his leverage to score shots there and dirty box.

Wineleand can win this, but he will have to fight the best fight of his career to do so.

161BaraoWineland2.png

Wineland isn't taller, won't have a reach advantage and i'm sure Barao is like 2x stronger than him. tough matchup for him.

161BaraoWineland2.png

Wineland isn't taller, won't have a reach advantage and i'm sure Barao is like 2x stronger than him. tough matchup for him.

Eddie fights tall. He makes optimal use of the reach he possesses, where Barao fights from a more compact thai stance. I'm not sure about strength, I remember Eddie having a pretty comprehensive strength and conditioning program, and his TDD has benefited tremendously from that. Still, it is a tough matchup, although Barao is a tough fight for everyone in the division.

I think Wineland can win here. He has legit striking with big power, tdd, and a good gas tank.

Barao is the most underrated fighter in the UFC the guy is in a 29 fight win streak he's going to beat Wineland in an decision or tap him, then wait for Cruz to finally return so he can beat the crap out of him and rightfully hold the belt

This has the hallmarks of a nice barnburner.

I've got Barao via domination though.

I'm going with Eddie Wineland for the upset, the fight could happened like when Bowles fight Torres you never know.

He just has to do what he has been doing with that in and out attack. Don't fix what isn't broken and put his skills to the test against another great striker.

Back