Barao vs Wineland

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by bambammccoy, Sep 16, 2013.

1. bambammccoy

bambammccoy Red Belt

Honestly, what are the keys to victory for Eddie Wineland when he faces Renan Barao?

If he trys to use his rangey boxing and movement than I believe he will get kicked to pieces, Barao is very long.

If he takes Barao down, I feel he will get subbed fairly easily.

My buddy said he feels Wineland has way better movement than Barao and faster hands but I'm 99% sure he is talking out of his ass.

Anybody see Wineland winning this and how??

2. Inigo Montoya

Inigo Montoya ...............

I think it would be a closer fight than people think, but I still don't see Wineland winning this.

3. istay

istay Purple Belt

Don't think it'll be all that close. Barao is better everywhere, except for raw power; which I dont think will land.

4. CountOfSoCal

CountOfSoCal Black Belt

He just has to look for openings like McDonald did. Mike had him stunned multiple times, so it'll be interesting to see how Wineland (who seems to have a bit more power) can do.

5. Concrete

Concrete Steel Belt

He seems like a ballsy kind of guy so he should get in Barao's face and make it a 'technical brawl' as Rogan would say. He still probably loses but I don't see how he wins any other way.

6. MikalP

MikalP Brown Belt

Barao is quite possibly the safest pick on the main card. He is better than Wineland in every aspect of the fight. McDonald was able to damage Barao because of how fast and accurate he is - Wineland does not have that same capability.

7. JoseAldoKillaBe

JoseAldoKillaBe Black Belt

I don't see him winning, but he obviously has to get on the inside and try to make it a boxing match. Thing he is, he can't get too agressive cuz Barao will just dump him on his back.

But Barao is just too well-rounded for him imo, only way i see him losing is if he gets KO'd by a good shot/combination. But if he could survived that McDonald bomb, i have a hard time picturing him getting KTFO.

8. ravifreitas

ravifreitas Black Belt

He has to push the brawl, but I don't think he can do it. Against McDonald, Barao got hit in the first, but after that, he controlled the pace and the striking, picking him apart and submitted him. He will probably do the same against Wineland. Pick him apart at Kickboxing range and then a late sub.

9. jmadtx

jmadtx Black Belt

i got barao by early sub

10. Poser Caust

Poser Caust Green Belt

He has to dictate the pace, get Barao tired and hope that he can win a decision landing shots from the outside.

11. hoevan

hoevan Orange Belt

Your buddy is right. Wineland does have better movement and hands. He also uses a fair amount of feints, which could cause Barao some trouble. If Eddy puts the jab out there enough he could steal a decision.

Eddy is a former champion and a tough fight for anyone.

Wineland via split decision. I think I am the only one picking Eddy.

12. Torrid

Torrid Cunning Linguist

Eddie has great movement, good range, and has become really hard to take down. Have you seen his fight with Urijah?

Yeah, Barao is, and should be the heavy favorite against everyone in the division - he's been a dominant champ. But to say Eddie has no chance because he'll get pick apart with kicks on the outside is painting with a pretty wide brush.

I think Renan's overall superiority as a fighter, in his ability to mix it up, will win him the fight - not one generally better art.

13. tjn1124

tjn1124 Green Belt

Wineland has excellent boxing. But I could see Barao neutralizing that with his wide array of kicks. If this fight hits the mat, I think Barao should dominate in the grappling department. In short, I don't see Wineland winning this one short of landing a huge shot on the feet.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2013
  14. bambammccoy

bambammccoy Red Belt

This is pretty much what I insinuated.

15. bambammccoy

bambammccoy Red Belt

This is allllll I'm picturing. I don't see Wineland being able to handle Baraos rangey kickboxing or high level BJJ.

16. bene3

bene3 Blue Belt

i dont think wineland should stay on he outside. he needs to pressure barao and use his better boxing while avoiding td s. if he sits outside he will get kicked.... a lot

17. laugh@u

[email protected] Purple Belt

I don't give him more than a puncher's chance here. Wineland's a solid fighter, but I think Barao's better everywhere.

18. jmd69

jmd69 Brown Belt

Wait....did your buddy tell you that someone has said "no" after being asked by the ref "fighter are you ready?"

Wineland can win this fight but I don't think he will. Barao with the sub.

19. bambammccoy

bambammccoy Red Belt

Haha no, not me. I read that same thread though earlier today, had me rollin'.

20. FenoxSky

FenoxSky Brown Belt

Use a lot of angles and combinations, make this a boxing match, where's the only place when he's better, pretty similat to Gus against Bones.