Bar/Restaurant Rescue Shows

John Taffer has to be at least 50% legitimately retarded. And it is amusing how he acts like such a badass. he tries to be a gordon ramsay clone, but the difference is ramsay at least appears to legitimately be able to take care of himself somewhat. but with taffer, how could you take some corky yelling at you seriously?

Remember when they were supposed to do a Gym Rescue with Randy Couture and a few others? Now that would’ve been interesting.

I loved Kitchen Nightmares.

It's kind of amazing how many people ignore Gordon's advice, and how many opened a restaurant with ZERO industry experience or knowledge.

But hey, it's their money.
{<shrug}

Nearly all of the owners, when asked why they went back to their old ways, say something along the lines of "people kept asking for it, they wanted it back". That's the one that always amazed me. IF you had enough customers that wanted things the way you used to do them, you wouldn't have needed any help in the first place. You might have to let your 3 regulars go in order to attract enough business to stay open.

Some of the bars/restaurants on Bar Rescue or Kitchen Nightmare amaze me. You are failing so you bring in an expert who not only tells you why you're failing, but also gives you a step-by-step guide to be better AND they redesign your place for fucking free.

And you still fucking fail afterwards. It's always funny when the owner argues with the expert that THEY called to help them.
I remember that episode with the pirate themed bar that was tanking. The delusional owner after the show left changed it back to a pirate theme bar and it of coursed tanked.

Owner then had to shut the bar down but blamed the show, said the show had verbally agreed to re-do the bar again but then pulled out last second. It's like god talk about the level of delusion, blaming the show for not fixing something that they already fixed

I have trouble taking Taffer seriously. He can't even make a fucking Manhattan, but he's gonna criticize my cocktails?

A local steak house called the Whiskey Creek Steak House was on Restaurant Impossible years ago. I had been there a few times prior to the show and thought it was okay. Don't remember all the details of the show but a lot of the stuff was miss management type stuff, but cleaned up the menu a bit too.e and he wife went a few months after the episode aired and they were already doing some of the shit they fixed on the show.

I remember one of the big complaints from staff was the owner was never there and they didn't have a manager and put all those responsibilities on the senior waitress. The during the show the owner said he would start being there a lot more and bring in a manager. By the time we went that same waitress lady was doing all of the same rolls again and management in sight. Ended up going out of business like a year later.

Jon Taffer scares me. It looks like he is capable of swallowing smaller humans whole. His neck veins are bigger than my c**k

mind-boggling-shocking.gif

I just watched an episode of bar rescue where a guy gets sick from the beer. next thing we get is a camera overhead shot from inside the stall of him throwing up. So was the camera already mounted inside the stall? or did they ask him tio hold off on throwing up until they could get the cameras in place?

also, i don't get people who go to these places after they see them on tv if their problem was that they were filthy. you are not going to change those habits in a couple days with the same people. so if they were dirty before, they are going tio be dirty again

I saw a Canadian version of the concept called "Restaurant Makeovers" or similar.

I liked it because it was toned down.

Set up was that a struggling restaurant would bring in a designer and a chef to help them turnaround the business. The designer would come up with a plan and present it to the owner. The owner would have to put in their own money and the show would match it. $15K-$20K.

Based on the budget, the designer would re-do the space with their own construction crew in a week. In parallel the outside chef would work with the kitchen chef to overhaul the menu.

I don't usually watch reality tv but I liked this show well enough. The designers and chefs would be a bit critical of the restaurant (after all, the business is on the show because they are struggling) but the general tone was that the outside experts were there to help the owners. The owners were often resistant to change but generally went along.

The kitchen stuff was interesting. The experts would almost always make the menu smaller and then focus on a couple of new signature dishes for the restaurant. It was not about changing the type of cuisine but rather simplification and differentiation. I remember one show at an Italian spot. The outside chef encouraged the restaurant chef to embrace regional dishes from his family region in Italy. Spoke a lot about getting the chef to make different dishes that he could put his heart into.

I saw Bar Rescue but I found it way over the top for my tastes. Never wanted to see more.

Back