balancing weight training with swimming.

Bloodlust

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I just started swimming and I do it 3X a week. I wanted to know if anybody knew a good routine and schedule for weights and swimming. I have been told dips and rows help out but would 2X 12-15 twice a week help?

I would just do a normal wieght lifting routine, working every muscle group once a week. Supplament that with swimming 3 x week.

Call a local swim team and ask to speak to the coach. Ask them just how they incooperate lifting into swimming. I dunno. My sister was a really good swimmer. If I see her tonight, I'll ask her what they did in HS/College.

Bloodlust said:
I just started swimming and I do it 3X a week. I wanted to know if anybody knew a good routine and schedule for weights and swimming. I have been told dips and rows help out but would 2X 12-15 twice a week help?

Are you swimming competitively, or for fitness? Do you have a specific stroke?

How strong are you right now and how much do you weigh? (Bench, Squat, Deadlift, Military, Chin-Ups, the basics)

What's your yardage like?

im swimming for fitness. I started in Florida when I lived there briefly now I want to build a routine around swimming by cause I like swimming that much.

im 25, 180. I was training weights for conditioning for about 7 monthes and I was consistant. I did an upper body/lower body split 4xweek. my bench was at 155 3x10, squat 180 3x10-12, deadlift 165 3x10-12. rows at 100 3X10.

I sprint in swimming once up and back. I dont know the yardage but its a competition sized pool. I do this about 10 times with about 30-40 seconds in between. I also slow down to work on my breathing sometimes as well. I mostly swim with your standard stroke (freestyle like) and an underwater frog like stroke. I alternate usually.

I would offer my opinion on the matter (lift heavy) but I swim like a rock and really can't see a whole lot of application for peak strength in swimming (although I don't know the distances you're talking about).

External Rotator (shoulder) work is key. Swimming tends to create internal rotator dominance. It's why if you ever look at college swimmers they tend to have the hunched over look. Make sure you do a lot of overhead lifts, or at the very least make sure to do overhead squats on a regular basis. Those and handstand pushups have done wonders for my general shoulder health and happiness.

As far as swimming faster, weights are unlikely to really do much for you. Swimming is almost entirely about technique. Yes, strength endurance helps, and the best sprinters are usually pretty powerful bastards, but the difference between you and all the girls on a high school swim team that would probably smoke your ass in the water is technique. Either get a friend who swam at a decent high school or (ideally) college level to fix up your stroke or see if there's a newbie friendly masters team in the area.

Swimming rocks, and it combines with a strength routine pretty well.

Back