Back to sparring

Well, just for anyone who wants to know, at the gym today I practiced everything with my chin tucked and right hand on my cheek (I was getting hit with a left hook), and a buddy of mine worked defense with me and showed me that I was dropping my left after I jabbed. When I sparred I did a lot better, I got hit with 1 or 2 hard shots, but overall my defense felt a lot better. Thanks fightingrabbit, for the tennis ball tip, I'm gonna start tomorrow with a ping pong ball.

I corrected the raised chin with a tennis ball as well. I think a ping-pong ball may be an overcompensation and draw your chin too far down. That may impact reaction and performance.

Well, just for anyone who wants to know, at the gym today I practiced everything with my chin tucked and right hand on my cheek (I was getting hit with a left hook), and a buddy of mine worked defense with me and showed me that I was dropping my left after I jabbed. When I sparred I did a lot better, I got hit with 1 or 2 hard shots, but overall my defense felt a lot better. Thanks fightingrabbit, for the tennis ball tip, I'm gonna start tomorrow with a ping pong ball.

Something I do to keep my hand up is only use my jab when sparring. I don't tell my opponent what I am doing. I have found that jab is way more affective and I don't get hit nearly as much.

I corrected the raised chin with a tennis ball as well. I think a ping-pong ball may be an overcompensation and draw your chin too far down. That may impact reaction and performance.

i think so too. You dont want to press your chin down to your chest to the point where its unnatural.

as long as it aint up in the air you're gold.

i think so too. You dont want to press your chin down to your chest to the point where its unnatural.

as long as it aint up in the air you're gold.

Yea and I'm tall enough to see my opponent even if my chin is touching my chest and it didn't seem to be awkward when I was sparring the other night.

Back