Back to sparring

EddieH4444

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
I sparred today for the second time in 3 months (the 1st was last Wednesday) and today I got really clipped about 10 times. My dad (an ex-pro) and my coach both said that it was because when I got inside (I'm 6'2, 170) or started backing up I would jut my chin up. I know I need to practice tucking my chin while hitting the bag/shadowboxing but do any of you guys have any other tips to train myself to tuck my chin?

I sparred today for the second time in 3 months (the 1st was last Wednesday) and today I got really clipped about 10 times. My dad (an ex-pro) and my coach both said that it was because when I got inside (I'm 6'2, 170) or started backing up I would jut my chin up. I know I need to practice tucking my chin while hitting the bag/shadowboxing but do any of you guys have any other tips to train myself to tuck my chin?

tennis ball under chin, shadowbox.

theres this new guy at my gym who does the same thing, everytime he spars and someone comes at him he tilts back his head like hes looking to the sky and i just hope to god the guy hes sparring doesnt throw a long left hook at him, because it wouldnt be a pretty sight. He'd get dropped like a bad habit for that bad habit.

tennis ball under chin, shadowbox.

theres this new guy at my gym who does the same thing, everytime he spars and someone comes at him he tilts back his head like hes looking to the sky and i just hope to god the guy hes sparring doesnt throw a long left hook at him, because it wouldnt be a pretty sight. He'd get dropped like a bad habit for that bad habit.

Yea, I was really getting tagged yesterday but I have a pretty good chin and have been boxing for a couple of years. If that kid got nailed he'd probably never come back to the gym. Thanks for the tennis ball tip, I'll try that one today.

I know I need to practice tucking my chin while hitting the bag/shadowboxing but do any of you guys have any other tips to train myself to tuck my chin?

Simple. Practice in front of a mirror. Hitting bags, shadow boxing, everything.

Uncomplicated and effective advice!!:D Gotta love it!

When I first started training (about two years ago), my boxing instructor held focus mitts for me for a few rounds. I kept dropping my left no matter how many times he told me to bring it back high. So the next time I did it, he WHACKED me with the mitt and said "I can show you better than I can tell you". I kept my left hand glued to my head for the rest of the day. :icon_lol:

When I first started training (about two years ago), my boxing instructor held focus mitts for me for a few rounds. I kept dropping my left no matter how many times he told me to bring it back high. So the next time I did it, he WHACKED me with the mitt and said "I can show you better than I can tell you". I kept my left hand glued to my head for the rest of the day. :icon_lol:

exactly, as you practice keeping your chin tucked, also always keep a hand on your temple, whatever hand your not throwing should be up on your face, and elbows tucked in for more support. good luck.

yeah its awesome if you like not chewing your food for a couple days.

LOL been there.

Fucked up when it swells up where the jaw connects together and it hurts to even open your mouth.

Protect my chin religiously after that

Thanks for the tip doc.

sorry for being a smart ass, but that's really how I learned. I had a bad habit of being scared of the punches at first and leaning my head back with my chin out. This kid rocked me so hard I couldn't even eat my dinner that night. My chin don't move now.

sorry for being a smart ass, but that's really how I learned. I had a bad habit of being scared of the punches at first and leaning my head back with my chin out. This kid rocked me so hard I couldn't even eat my dinner that night. My chin don't move now.

Lol, that sucks. Tonight I'll be sparring again and I hope that getting clocked on Monday will help me keep my chin down.

i think the problem somewhat stems from not being able to defend straights and jabs properlly with a catch or parry, thus you compensate by trying to move your head straight back outta the way.

I think it also works in the other direction. Rather than leaning the head back and raising the chin while trying to avoid a punch sometimes you lift your chin while going in.
I think it is a natural tendency to try to over reach by lifting the head...sort of a stretch. So when you are reaching you may tend to lift the chin, which develops a bad habit if not corrected. Not setting up a target and just swinging may also lead to reaching. Stay tight.

Well, just for anyone who wants to know, at the gym today I practiced everything with my chin tucked and right hand on my cheek (I was getting hit with a left hook), and a buddy of mine worked defense with me and showed me that I was dropping my left after I jabbed. When I sparred I did a lot better, I got hit with 1 or 2 hard shots, but overall my defense felt a lot better. Thanks fightingrabbit, for the tennis ball tip, I'm gonna start tomorrow with a ping pong ball.

Well, just for anyone who wants to know, at the gym today I practiced everything with my chin tucked and right hand on my cheek (I was getting hit with a left hook), and a buddy of mine worked defense with me and showed me that I was dropping my left after I jabbed. When I sparred I did a lot better, I got hit with 1 or 2 hard shots, but overall my defense felt a lot better. Thanks fightingrabbit, for the tennis ball tip, I'm gonna start tomorrow with a ping pong ball.

np. just recirculating what i read..

In Guy Mezger's book The Complete Idiot's Guide to Kickboxing {Don't Laugh. It s a great book] Guy suggests putting a pencil underneath your chin to remeber to tuck your chin.

Back