Back strengthening exercise recommendations

Saith

UFC poster boy
Reaction score
So I've been given the green light to work out again, starting with light weights. So far I've just been doing BJJ because it doesn't get any lighter than bodyweight. My back is not getting as sore from training as it was when I first started, so I feel I'm about ready to move on to some light weights to strengthen my lower back. I just wanted to know what some good exercises were for going light back there. So far I have:

-Rack pulls
-Good mornings
-Reverse hypers
-light squats / front squats

Anything else you can think of that might be beneficial? This isn't for rehab this is just to get some basic strength back in my lower back so I can lift "heavy" again.

snatch grip deadlifts are great for your whole back. hell, they're good for your whole body, mind, and soul

Try turkish/sandbag get-ups. They're just the kind of odd, fluid movement you want for really getting your core in working order.

In addition to those mentioned

Hyperextensions
DB Swings
SLDLs
GHRs

Sweet! Thanks guys. I should be able to put something together with all of this.

x2 for DLs and DB Swings

Zercher DL

BORs

Cleanes & snatches (DB and BB)

I would hit your total core abs along with back. For the back there are some good exercises listed above. My chiropractor said alot of back problems can be solved with good strong abs.

snatch grip deadlifts are great for your whole back. hell, they're good for your whole body, mind, and soul

They cure cancer too, according to some.

I'd recommend doing lower back extensions on a machine.

In conjunction with whatever freeweight stuff that floats your boat.

back extensions would be a good way to ease back into training

Hypers and GMs would be my choice for just getting back into it, but eveything listed is a great choice.

Back