Babying a hurting knee

civrosado

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So my knees been acting up the past couple of weeks. I wouldn't say that it's excruciating but it's def noticable and pretty annoying. I just came back from a jog and it's aching pretty good. Any one know any good training tips that can help strengthen the knee without sacrificing all my intensity. I don't mind toning it down a bit but i want to incorporate some type of preventative rehab so the joints and ligaments strengthen. any advice?

Yea I've tried resting a couple times (about a week each) and it still hurts.

Yea I've tried resting a couple times (about a week each) and it still hurts.

Usually if a person has pain or soreness after jogging it is a safe bet that they have hip rotators that aren't doing their job. The knee is a VERY stable joint, so when it is the weak link usually you will find that there is a problem in the arch of the foot or in the hip.

I would suggest to you that you hire a good strength coach for some conditioning work or better yet a CHEK PRACTITIONER. Go to C.H.E.K. Institute - Leaders in Exercise Education for a listing of practitioners in your area.

Knee pain can come from many places, usually though it is muscle imbalance at the root of the problem. Those are often difficult for people to assess themselves.

Good luck.

I had this exact problem before too. I went to a sports medicine doctor who said the problem was my hips (as the poster above said). Specifically, it was the glute med. that needed strengthening, so google excercises for that. He also had me wear special orthotics to correct the overpronation of the knee. The orthotics and glute med. excercises cleared everything up. Occasionally, it hurts again and I have some ART sessions and it goes away again. Resting won't help because the problem isn't solved; it needs to be corrected for it to clear up. This is all based on my personal injury and may not be applicable to you, but it sounds similar. If it's just overtraining, rest is the way to go. Hope this helps.

I had this exact problem before too. I went to a sports medicine doctor who said the problem was my hips (as the poster above said). Specifically, it was the glute med. that needed strengthening, so google excercises for that. He also had me wear special orthotics to correct the overpronation of the knee. The orthotics and glute med. excercises cleared everything up. Occasionally, it hurts again and I have some ART sessions and it goes away again. Resting won't help because the problem isn't solved; it needs to be corrected for it to clear up. This is all based on my personal injury and may not be applicable to you, but it sounds similar. If it's just overtraining, rest is the way to go. Hope this helps.

same here...glute muscle imbalance. i did physio and exercises to even out my glutes.

You should stop jogging until you see a doctor. Your symptoms sound the exact same as what I have right now, Runner's Knee. The pain is dull and not that bad, but always there. If this is what you have it will not go away just by rest and will get worse if you keep on jogging. If you go to Runner's World.Com : Running, Racing, Training and More. you can read about the condition.

Go to a good runners shop and have them do a gait analysis on your feet to see if your landing properly when running, and if your using the proper foot wear. Someone mentioned orthotics, which you will probably need to put in your shoes.

I tried to fix the problem on my own for a month by resting, and doing certain leg work outs. Just a waist of time, get a good sports PT to help you rehab it and show you how to prevent in the future.

Back