• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Crime Baby Kept on Vegan Diet Dies; Parents Charged with Manslaughter

n8luTEQ.png

Did you miss the part under the highlight?

Pretty dumb takeaway. Millions of babies survive on a vegan diet every year. This kid was apparently not getting any protein at all, except through his mother's breast milk, by just eating fruits and vegetables. He wasn't killed by his diet being vegan: he was killed by it being insufficient. Just like a kid being fed only meat and Cheetos would be malnourished.

It's pretty well settled science that a vegan diet can be every bit as healthy as a non-vegan one, and is in most cases much healthier than the average American's diet.

I dunno man, I've seen plenty of studies saying the opposite as well, that vegan diets are inferior to a natural healthy non-vegan diets. How they can be dangerous if not fully informed on how to conduct the diet (which most are not). I read a lot of these stories that don't end in death about malnourished babies/children because the parents are giving them vegan diets. If anything, I think the doom and gloom on "oh noes meat and dairy is going to kill you" is as exaggerated as anything can be. Anything done in extremes is bad for you.

Also-

Millions of babies survive on a vegan diet every year

Gonna need some Exhibit A evidence on that law man.

Looks like Florida is more to blame than being Vegan.

I think my historical perspective is okay. And your anecdote kind of proved my observation: that special diets by conservatives are more likely for personal health benefit.

Or hopping on trends. Diet fads come, go and then resurrect in a slightly varied form. There was a time when Americans didn't connect whatever bandwagon you were on at a particular time to a right/left paradigm.

But in 2019 I am a leftist following a cyclical keto protocol and it actually blows certain ideologically-obsessed peoples' minds. Things have radically changed in the span of my adult life where food choices and politics intersect.

Kind of like trans.
If you are a adult go for it don’t push it off on your kids.

Reminds me of “ My cat is a vegan” I’m sure by choice
Welp, that didn't take long.

Not at all. But how is that relevant when the person I quoted just said "every single source has said....."?

The source he posted did speak against it, like he said it did. Within that source it had some conflicting opinions, but it still spoke against it, thus technically every source did speak against. A pointless semantic but nonetheless.

Also if you dissect the abstract, even what was speaking positively in the intro didnt actually have much positive in it to report in the rest of it. Reporting they scored below the 50th percentile in a number of fields. ( can also take it further and note they required supplementation to even get to that point).

Or hopping on trends. Diet fads come, go and then resurrect in a slightly varied form. There was a time when Americans didn't connect whatever bandwagon you were on at a particular time to a right/left paradigm.

Of course, you are correct on this: politics and ideology have penetrated culture and everyday life to an extent never seen before.

But in 2019 I am a leftist following a cyclical keto protocol and it actually blows certain ideologically-obsessed peoples' minds. Things have radically changed in the span of my adult life where food choices and politics intersect.

Is that the caveman diet? Like the one that put Jordan Peterson in the loony bin?

Frankly, diet has never interested me enough to really invest my time and energy into a specific one. I don't eat much meat purely for moral reasons (although the critiques about meat farming being ecologically and environmentally unsustainable are additionally convincing). That's pretty much it. If lab-grown meat becomes the new norm, I'll freely go back to it.

The left generally thinks that there is a looming environmental crisis and that humans need to use our executive faculties in order to cooperate with each other and the environment, overriding some of our primitive "kill or be killed" instincts and assuring the mutual benefit of all.

I have yet to meet the vegan (or paleo) who says "I know this diet isn't healthy but I am willing to take this bullet on behalf of the environment". The arguments from both sides ALWAYS insist that their "way" is the MOST biologically healthy for humans. And that, somehow, the philosophical connection is just a fortuitous coincidence.

I have yet to meet the vegan (or paleo) who says "I know this diet isn't healthy but I am willing to take this bullet on behalf of the environment". The arguments from both sides ALWAYS insist that their "way" is the MOST biologically healthy for humans. And that, somehow, the philosophical connection is just a fortuitous coincidence.

Personally, I am vegan because of ethical reasons. I started getting grossed out with meat at a young age as I learned where it came from. I definitely don't do it for health reasons.

I think there might be more to this story. Perhaps the parents outright starved the kid, and this whole vegan excuse is to get them off of more serious murder charges.

These people sound like wackos. Home birthed...never took the baby to the doctor...didn't call anyone when the baby was breathing heavily...hmm...

My sons mother attempted a home birth for 30 hours until we made the decision to get a C-section due to the child’s health. He had one very large head (9lb 13oz) trying to fit through s small cervix.

It’s different I’ll give you that but not strange by today’s standards and 100% her choice.

I think there might be more to this story. Perhaps the parents outright starved the kid, and this whole vegan excuse is to get them off of more serious murder charges.

These people sound like wackos. Home birthed...never took the baby to the doctor...didn't call anyone when the baby was breathing heavily...hmm...
breathed heavily = instant ER. Some parents dont get this, and I honestly didnt know about it when it happened to my middle child. Just thought she needed more sleep? little did I know, it was a asthma attack, she could have died, as I have a weak middle child.

I am amazed by how politicized personal diet has become. Particularly between the pro and anti or limited meat crowds. It's no longer just an argument surrounding issues of health and nutrition but it's somehow been directly connected to left/right and red/blue. And it's reflected in the levels of animus displayed. Truly crazy.
I've noticed this. I remember hearing someone get annoyed that the Impossible Whopper even exists and is marketed as a burger and unsurprisingly they're not someone who voted for Obama. Wtf does it matter?

Back