• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Crime Baby Kept on Vegan Diet Dies; Parents Charged with Manslaughter

This sounds like a fruitarian diet or something. Plus starving the kid. But a regular vegan diet does have protein and fat, which this kid got none of. No tofu, seitan, beans or nuts even.

I mean, I don’t feed my baby a vegan diet, but this diet in particular was not typical.
Aye. Some mashed up beans, nuts, oranges and broccoli could've made a big difference. These people were starving and neglecting the kid.

Breast milk is a funny vegan food imo. The mother consents, but it's milk from an animal. So it's conflicted. Once the kid grows up, do you say "My milk was fine, but now you are banned from cow's milk."? Maybe almond milk could work, but it's not milk.

I've heard of people feeding their cats a vego diet, until the cats died of course. Dogs can survive on that type of diet[although all my dogs ate meat] but not cats.[or goldfish]

My dog, a Shiba Inu, is actually allergic to pork, beef, cheese and just about every dog food and dog treat. We feed him a kangaroo protein food and give him some chicken and fish for treats. He is quite healthy for being 12 and a half. A lot of dogs his age are bug-eyed and fat.

That's outdated, healing crystals work much better.
5 years ago I shoved a prism crystal up my butt to amplify my nourishing inner light and spent an undisclosed amount between $10k-$1B to hire Wiley the breatharian and now my body produces pure tiger blood and I'm able to translocate my consciousness with a mere one second of meditation.
s-l1000.jpg

Screenshot_20191125-093858_1.jpg
5D berders FTMFW

Last edited:
If I had more self control, and was able to do the research, and maintain the discipline in keeping up with a Vegan Diet, I would.

morally, it becomes more and more difficult to maintain this omnivorous diet.

Obviously they weren't feeding the baby enough, and either not recognizing that, or not caring if they did, but the question that the vegan advocates in here (none of whom are nutrition scientists or pediatricians) are failing to espy is this: if these dingbats had raised their child on a normal diet of baby food, even one as hazardous and potentially unhealthy as your typical American one, do you suspect the same fatal outcome? If not, what lesson do you think might be gleaned from that?

Even ignorant people tend to do alright in spite of themselves if they don't devote themselves to a dietary ideology they don't understand.

This is a stupid question that doesn't equate the two situations. You're comparing mashed carrots, to mashed bananas and that's not the way to do it!

A better question would be, if these dingbats gave these kids a diet consisting of normal baby food but still underfed the kid would the kid be dead? Or your question should have been "if these dingbats had fed their kids adequately on a vegan diet would he still be alive?"

Your question doesn't ask anything that's not already obvious.....malnourished children die.....Whooop!

You can feed them meat puree, or start baby led weaning between 6 and 8 months and they are capable of eating meat that is cut properly. This is basically what they would have done ages ago before purees were invented.

The typical recommendation to start solids is before babies have molars anyway. They chew with their gums and other teeth until they develop them. Non issue to feed most solids in all actuality.

@Madmick
I wouldnt recomend veganism to a child at all, lack of protein in development in this child's case (if that led to cod) plus perhaps other nutrient detriments would not likely have occurred in a normal american baby diet aside from complete neglect. That isnt to say its impossible to vegan feed a child, but definitely not ideal by a longshot.

Lack of protein in this instance implies a serious lack of breast milk though. So when the article said supplemented i think they really undershot how little the kid was getting. Tragic.

I think they would be capable if it was really well minced but what is typical and what is common? I thought most of the world had them on breast milk only, or breast milk plus pureed fruits and vegetables at that age. Historically would it have been common for an 18th month old to be given meat? I would have thought it would still be breast milk only. If a baby is ordinarily healthy consuming breast milk only at that age, then the issue is not enough breast milk as opposed to not enough meat. I don't think starvation is common for 18th month olds not eating meat.

This is a stupid question that doesn't equate the two situations. You're comparing mashed carrots, to mashed bananas and that's not the way to do it!

A better question would be, if these dingbats gave these kids a diet consisting of normal baby food but still underfed the kid would the kid be dead? Or your question should have been "if these dingbats had fed their kids adequately on a vegan diet would he still be alive?"

Your question doesn't ask anything that's not already obvious.....malnourished children die.....Whooop!
The AAP recommends whole milk as a staple until 2 years of age.
I think they would be capable if it was really well minced but what is typical and what is common? I thought most of the world had them on breast milk only, or breast milk plus pureed fruits and vegetables at that age. Historically would it have been common for an 18th month old to be given meat? I would have thought it would still be breast milk only. If a baby is ordinarily healthy consuming breast milk only at that age, then the issue is not enough breast milk as opposed to not enough meat. I don't think starvation is common for 18th month olds not eating meat.
Kid was 18 months. Solids are recommended starting around 8 months. Even outside of European cultures, where there is a more unique consumption of cow's milk, in the centuries you're discussing, there was milks from other livestocks, eggs, yogurts, and meats themselves. Don't forget fish and seafood.

What "doesn't sound right"? What do you think is being asserted in that article?

I believe you may be inferring more from the headline and article than is being asserted by it, and I don't think you're alone in here. Notice the headline only says, "Baby kept on vegan diet dies". It doesn't attribute causality to veganism (nor does my OP). We have a case of neglectful parents who were grossly negligent to the point that their toddler died.

Unchecked veganism is not healthy; because we are not omnivores. The rest is coincidence, but perhaps these is something to be learned by observation of these.

Yeah, the article doesnt say the cause of death is veganism, but it only mentions the diet, that the baby was underweight, and that the baby was not seen by a doctor, which would imply that the diet was the reason.

Im not a nutritional expert, and I know even less about babies, but my initial impression is that it sounds strange.

We all know about nutritional deficiencies, but one might not expect a baby to die on a diet of fresh fruit/vegetables and mothers milk. Perhaps thats exactly what happened, I cant say for sure.

We know fruit/veg is incredibly healthy, so when we hear of a baby dying on a fruit/veg heavy diet, it may automatically go against the natural thought process of our brain that considers fruit/veg healthy and cause confliction and confusion.

Last edited:
Yeah, the article doesnt say the cause of death is veganism, but it only mentions the diet, that the baby was underweight, and that the baby was not seen by a doctor, which would imply that the diet was the reason.
No, it doesn't imply that diet was the cause. It implies that diet was a probable factor.
Im not a nutritional expert, and I know even less about babies, but my initial impression is that it sounds strange.

We all know about nutritional deficiencies, but one might not expect a baby to die on a diet of fresh fruit and mothers milk. Perhaps thats exactly what happened, I cant say for sure.

We know fruit is incredibly healthy, so when we hear of a baby dying on a fruit heavy diet, it may automatically go against the natural thought process of our brain that considers fruit healthy and cause confliction and confusion.
The likelihood that his mother was (presumably) also a vegan, and not one who we might assume knows how to jump through the millions of hoops to make it healthy, was the source of his breast milk is also a dietary factor that may have played some role in his death.

The AAP recommends whole milk as a staple until 2 years of age.

Kid was 18 months. Solids are recommended starting around 8 months. Even outside of European cultures, where there is a more unique consumption of cow's milk, in the centuries you're discussing, there was milks from other livestocks, eggs, yogurts, and meats themselves. Don't forget fish and seafood.
I bet the mom's breastmilk wasn't a nutritive as it could be as well due to her diet.

I had a really good friend in high school turn vegan and activist in college. He got married and had a child. He was insistent on a vegan diet for the child and she was not. she wanted a regular child's diet and they got a divorce over it and she won full custody and he got accompanied visitations.

Stupid people always think going the extreme opposite is the best recourse...when obesity became a problem...it's when people start to promote being on a diet of leafy greens is the way to go and strict on it is the healthiest you can be....no...you need meat on your diet...you need fish on your diet and you need carbs on your diet...just watch the quantity and keep an eye on your health and you will be alright...

Doesnt have to be minced. Finger length against the grain and about the same diameter. This way it tears easy for them and can be swallowed easily. My kid was eating half a banana after breast milk at about 6.5 months with ease. 12.5 months now and she can eat half a cut up chicken breast, handfull of raspberries, a half banana and 100g of yogurt with a spoon by herself for dinner then full bottle 60 minutes later.

Breast milk or formula should absolutely still be the main staple until at least 12 months, solid foods used as supplementary after they finish their feed. Weaning is an interesting journey for humans as some cultures keep breast feesing even after 2 years when capable. In BC in canada some hippie women go til 4 years...yep...

Historically, much like now, not all women could breast feed long enough necessarily. Other women may have helped out, or solids introduced after 6 to 8 months to aid in intake. Hunter gatherer societies still do this in many areas.

Purees are sugary garbage mostly unless home made or find ones without added sugar.

Even then, the real thing helps kids learn texture, as well as mastication techniques, and how to properly use their gag reflex. Kids who eat purees until near 2 have difficulty with solids for a longer period of time and learn utensils later in life.

Some plain English:
Vegan Diets Are Actually Increasing Malnutrition in Wealthy Countries
Bone health is a concern for long-term vegans. Vegans are consistently reported to have lower intakes of calcium and vitamin D, with resultant lower blood levels of vitamin D and lower bone mineral density reported worldwide.

Fracture rates are also nearly a third higher among vegans compared with the general population.

Omega 3 and iodine levels are also lower compared with meat eaters, as are vitamin B12 levels.

Vitamin B12 is most often obtained from animal foods, and higher rates of deficiency have been found in vegans compared with other vegetarians and meat eaters.

The symptoms can be serious and include extreme tiredness and weakness, poor digestion and developmental delays in young children. Untreated, vitamin B12 deficiency can cause irreversible nerve damage.

While getting less than the optimal amount of B12 is quite common in pregnant women and in less-developed countries, the reported frequencies of deficiencies among vegetarians and vegans in developed countries vary greatly in severity between age groups.

Even low levels of vitamin B12, but not enough to be classed as deficient, may be bad for your health and increase your risk of heart disease.

Potential solutions
Vegans can prevent micronutrient deficiency by consuming fortified foods (food with added vitamins and minerals) and taking supplements.

But supplement use is often resisted by those on a plant-based diet and they have been reported to interfere with the absorption of other important nutrients.

Also, plant-derived vegan supplements tend to have low biological activity in humans. For example, studies show that vegan-friendly vitamin D2 supplements are less effective in raising blood vitamin D levels than the more widely used vitamin D3 supplements.

Other supplements, such as vitamin B12, may be largely inactive in the body.
Vegan babies are also smaller, and stricter vegetarian diets on a macro level are associated with inferior sizes in adults. I iterate: veganism is not healthy. Don't ice skate uphill.

If one is attached to these diets as a matter of political belief one should embrace the less strict versions of vegetarianism (i.e. ovolactovegetarianism). Frankly, IMO, if one is willing (and has the means) to go to the lengths to practice a vegan diet that it as close to healthy as possible, though it will obviously never be ideal, I don't understand why one couldn't apply this same vigor to researching and vetting the source of one's animal products. It'll cost you, but so will a pantry full of supplements. One can abide a healthier, more ideal omnivorous diet without participating in the ethical abuses of our mainstream meat industry.

If you haven't realized mental illness is a pop-culture fad being pushed on the masses in the West, you aren't looking.

Sounds like "Stupid anti-intellectual parents allowed child to die from malnourishment". As much as I don't ascribe to veganism, it's not dangerous any more than any other diet. People tend to not learn how to implement it.

Sounds like "Stupid anti-intellectual parents allowed child to die from malnourishment". As much as I don't ascribe to veganism, it's not dangerous any more than any other diet. People tend to not learn how to implement it.
Objectively false. Especially for infants.

Back