B.J. Penn's Submission Grappling

Ring>>Cage

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Every time someone mentions a fighter having the best BJJ in MMA someone comes into the thread to throw in BJ's name. I'm fully aware of his grappling credentials up until 2000 Mundial but the level of competition has improved dramatically in that past 8 years. I like BJ Penn and I think he is the most well rounded MMA lightweight but I don't see the excitement over his grappling that many of his fans show here.

If Penn were to jump into ADCC next year as is I think he would do great.

while competition has improved, so has Penn. I mean just as a basic summary look at the way he absolutely dominated Joe Stevenson with superior jiu-jitsu

bj really has nothing to gain from competing in sport jiu jitsu. mma is so much bigger and pays better.

Look at the way GSP dominated Serra. It doesn't mean his submission grappling is elite anymore.

bj really has nothing to gain from competing in sport jiu jitsu. mma is so much bigger and pays better.

That's not what I'm saying. Look at Wagney Fabiano in, Shinya Aoki, Damien Maia, Paulo Filho, Jacare in MMA. There are better grapplers in MMA than some Penn fans will give credit to.

That's not what I'm saying. Look at Wagney Fabiano in, Shinya Aoki, Damien Maia, Paulo Filho, Jacare in MMA. There are better grapplers in MMA than some Penn fans will give credit to.

The guys you mentioned rely solely on their grappling. BJ has the luxury of also having good boxing and KO power, so he doesn't spend every match either shooting in or trying to pull guard. Based on past accomplishments alone, Penn could probably rival those guys if he focused totally on his ground game.

The guys you mentioned rely solely on their grappling. BJ has the luxury of also having good boxing and KO power, so he doesn't spend every match either shooting in or trying to pull guard. Based on past accomplishments alone, Penn could probably rival those guys if he focused totally on his ground game.

Like I said he is well rounded. If he focused on being a grappling based fighter than he might be up to parr with today's elite but he doesn't so he isn't. I'm getting sick of people saying should of would have could have. BJ Penn is a well rounded MMA fighter but his Jiu-Jitsu is no longer on the level of todays elite.

I appreciate intelligent conversation as much as the next guy. You have only given your negative opinion of a well respected fighter. You don't even make an argument, just an accusation.

As for the HW section, I don't post there, but I see you do. You really should have put this thread there, man.

If they are mentioning him in refrence to BJJ, or grappling competition than there are much better people out there.

But for he's still one of the best MMA grapplers out there.

BJ Penn is definitely a great grappler, although I'd say Shinya Aoki is better. Some people might assume BJ isn't one of the best grapplers because he doesn't rely only on his BJJ. He's really well balanced and is pretty comfortable wherever, so people say he isn't as good compared to others anymore when it comes to grappling only.

I'd appreciate intelligent conversation. You can take those sort of comments back to HW section.

Coming from the guy with a list of his favorite fighters in his signature...

BJ Penn is definitely a great grappler, although I'd say Shinya Aoki is better. Some people might assume BJ isn't one of the best grapplers because he doesn't rely only on his BJJ. He's really well balanced and is pretty comfortable wherever, so people say he isn't as good compared to others anymore when it comes to grappling only.

What is this based on? Shinya Aoki's amazing grappling credentials?

BJ Penn without hard grappling only training would not get past the first round in the ADCC

Imagine if bj penn, never started fighting and just stuck with bjj how good he would be.

Look at the way GSP dominated Serra. It doesn't mean his submission grappling is elite anymore.
Maybe you should watch Penn vs St.Pierre. St.Pierre wasn't able to do shit against Penn on the ground.

And based on what is BJ's BJJ not elite anymore? I need a better reason than your own opinion which is based on nothing.

To be honest, no one has seen him in a bjj or submission wrestling tournament for many years so we can only give a guess to how well he would stack up against the current stock of champions.

I do remember Rickson praising him, its kinda rare for Rickson to praise anyone.

Every time someone mentions a fighter having the best BJJ in MMA someone comes into the thread to throw in BJ's name. I'm fully aware of his grappling credentials up until 2000 Mundial but the level of competition has improved dramatically in that past 8 years. I like BJ Penn and I think he is the most well rounded MMA lightweight but I don't see the excitement over his grappling that many of his fans show here.

interesting point.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back