Avoiding Iowa McDojo's

Heavyweight

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Everyone,

I'm considering moving to Cedar Rapids, IA to further my career. Unfortunately, I haven't found any reputable looking BJJ or MMA schools there while surfing the the world wide web.

I trained with Orlando ATT off-and-on for the last year and would like to train again with much greater regularity once my work schedule stabilizes. Does anyone know of any reputable schools in the Cedar Rapids area or any schools that should be avoided? MFS in Bettendorf is way too far to drive and I'm not sure how long the drive is to Iowa City to train with the Hawkeyes.

The Underground suggested Team Hard Drive but they just appear be a group of grapplers that practice without any real direction. Team leader Keoni Koch admits that they primarily "put in a good time in the gym and transition it to the cage" without the guidance of a "certified black belt that speaks their 'R's' as an 'H'."

I don't want to fight professionally. I really just want to train and improve my self within an existing structure/curriculum. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

How much training do you have? If its only a year you will benefit by training with just about anyone, and in Iowa MMA is extremely popular. My opinion would be to give those guys a try. If you dont like it you dont have to go back.

I just moved to Cedar Rapids myself. I haven't started training yet since I am still getting settled at work. However, I plan on training with the Iowa Hawkeye BJJ team (http://www.uiowa.edu/~armbar/). Iowa City is only a half hour away from Cedar Rapids. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be any places to train in Cedar Rapids. Although, it is easy enough to find good wrestlers anywhere in Iowa.

You are doing the opposite of what the protagonist from "Never Back Down" did. Moving from Orlando to Iowa. I just saw the moving and wanted to waste your time by pointing that out. Sorry.

I hope you can find a good gym in your area.

Wait, the dude in Never back down was from IOWA and had no idea what MMA was? Do writers do ANY research at all?

Everyone,

I'm considering moving to Cedar Rapids, IA to further my career. Unfortunately, I haven't found any reputable looking BJJ or MMA schools there while surfing the the world wide web.

I trained with Orlando ATT off-and-on for the last year and would like to train again with much greater regularity once my work schedule stabilizes. Does anyone know of any reputable schools in the Cedar Rapids area or any schools that should be avoided? MFS in Bettendorf is way too far to drive and I'm not sure how long the drive is to Iowa City to train with the Hawkeyes.

The Underground suggested Team Hard Drive but they just appear be a group of grapplers that practice without any real direction. Team leader Keoni Koch admits that they primarily "put in a good time in the gym and transition it to the cage" without the guidance of a "certified black belt that speaks their 'R's' as an 'H'."

I don't want to fight professionally. I really just want to train and improve my self within an existing structure/curriculum. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Scott, my favorite part of your post said: "The Underground suggested Team Hard Drive but they just appear be a group of grapplers that practice without any real direction"

Here is a list of our grapplers that practice with no real direction:

Keoni Koch 3-0 All wins by submission

Erik Koch 8-0 with s by submission in first round/one stoppage/one decision

Jesse Lennox 10-0 with 4 wins by submission 6 by KO/TKO

Devon Christian 4-2 with 3 wins by submission and 1 by KO

Tom Grubb 10-0 with one decision and the rest TKO stoppages

Joe Vedepo 9-0 2 submissions the rest stoppages

John Strawn 32-9 with 24 by submission

Beau Laughridge 2-1 with one loss by decision and two wins by submission

Ken McClelland 6-1 with all wins being first round stoppages

Not to shabby for a bunch of grapplers rolling with no real direction. Or maybe there is direction? Regardless, it sounds as if you have decided going to a different place is in your best interests. Good luck with that.

Keoni, do you guys have a website?

also, there is a mma tournament in cedar rapids(i think) on the weekend of the May 2nd, 3rd, and 4th. couple of my teammates might be up there for the tourny, any of you guys going to be up there?

Keoni, do you guys have a website?

also, there is a mma tournament in cedar rapids(i think) on the weekend of the May 2nd, 3rd, and 4th. couple of my teammates might be up there for the tourny, any of you guys going to be up there?

We just arent sophisticated enough for that yet I guess. :icon_arro IMO we are the best team that no one has heard of yet. But I am biased.

I havent heard of the MMA tourney, your not talking about Chupacabra are you? Thats in Davenport around the same time. We might have a couple guys there, and should have a few guys going to the Sasquatch open, I will be one of them. I am going to go ahead and jump in the advanced division, but with my loose non organized curriculum I doubt I will last long with the big dogs. HOWEVER, if your ever in the area and want to stop by and train just get in touch!

Back