Average day of wrestling in America

If you're a high school wrestler in the US and you aren't in excellent shape, you either have a dog shit coach or you're cutting corners...big time. Wrestling practice is no joke. Every year, we'd have a couple kids who played football try to wrestle for the first time. You'd always tell them that the training is very different and they're in for an eye-opening experience. Almost every time, you'd be met with some pushback about how great of shape football put them in or how we were exaggerating and almost every time, they would be completely fucking dead by the end of one practice and mentally broken.

Wrestling separates the men from the boys. Period.

You bring up a great point I never mentioned. At the beginning of the season we have around 30-35 guys, after the first practice a few quit, then the first week half the team is gone. I'm not joking when I tell you WRESTLING IS HARD WORK. We'd even have red flag days where all we did was condition for 3 hours. The worst was line days, where we would run sprints across the gym for 3 hours.
I'm not trying to categorize all football players but from my experience they all quit besides one (our heavyweight who won state ,but he also wrestled in junior high). They come in arrogant, thinking because they lift they can dominate everyone, and they usually quit a week later.

I think that, if wrestling is the best base for mma (not sure if I agree necessarily), it's probably because of the intensity of the training, and getting used to training/competing at that level without breaking. In wrestling, you don't show up just to have fun and lose weight-- the goal is to compete, so the goals in the practice room of separating the wheat from the chaff are intrinsically different from a great deal of BJJ schools, and probably also striking where you'll have people who train, and might be very good in their own right, but don't compete. Those people probably don't take strength and conditioning training that seriously. Of course, at a high level, strength and conditioning plays a big part in preparation for someone competing in any combat sport. But it is emphasized way more on average, basic day one wrestling for sure, at least from everything I understand.
What do you think is the best base for mma then.. and a much bigger factor is the "sport" aspect of wrestling not just strength training. (In fact you'd be surprised how little some successful teams lift and just do calesthinics at the end of practice for conditioning)

As in wrestlers are (generally) used to just listening to their coaches, not whining about warm ups and usually nor being so 'intellectual' as in they usually trust their coaches and don't mind repetitive drilling as much and can handle getting chirped at. This aspect is highly underrated
I think the objective of physically having to pin your opponent automatically injects more athleticism into the equation. BJJ is hard too but really does have techniques and positions that allow people to slow things down sometimes. Wrestling is full power from the start.

But yes, joining the team means you will compete.
I don't think th ed existence of pins means more "power is required. Rather "effort" is.. and the acceptance that to beat someone good you will get tired. There is a distinct difference in requiring all out effort plus technique and just requiring power

What do you think is the best base for mma then.. and a much bigger factor is the "sport" aspect of wrestling not just strength training. (In fact you'd be surprised how little some successful teams lift and just do calesthinics at the end of practice for conditioning)

As in wrestlers are (generally) used to just listening to their coaches, not whining about warm ups and usually nor being so 'intellectual' as in they usually trust their coaches and don't mind repetitive drilling as much and can handle getting chirped at. This aspect is highly underrated

I don't think th ed existence of pins means more "power is required. Rather "effort" is.. and the acceptance that to beat someone good you will get tired. There is a distinct difference in requiring all out effort plus technique and just requiring power

Of course, and wrestling requires technique but also 95% of the time requires high energy output.

In BJJ, a simple 50/50 can slow things really quickly, wrestling doesn't have those types of moves that slow down the pace to such a ridiculous degree, which isn't to say there aren't any less intense moves or techniques.

Of course, and wrestling requires technique but also 95% of the time requires high energy output.

In BJJ, a simple 50/50 can slow things really quickly, wrestling doesn't have those types of moves that slow down the pace to such a ridiculous degree, which isn't to say there aren't any less intense moves or techniques.

Tie ups slow things down but not to the point where you're not still exerting tons of energy.

The level of coach in bjj is often really low.

Back