Average day of wrestling in America

What would be most likely the difference between a guy that's an ok wrestler and stops when HS ends and someone that will continue to wrestle in College? Is it discipline, talent, athleticism, hard work...? Or is that different for everybody and too hard to answer?

You realize early on if you're good enough to wrestle in college. The best guys at D1 are like 3 time state champions and even then, they might never crack the starting lineup. Competition is that intense. Most people stop at high school since they go off to college and have other things going on.

Reading all this about how Wrestlers train no wonder they're absolute animals when they cross over to MMA (or BJJ). Besides that Wrestling is a very important skill to posses in MMA, it also sounds that you need to be mentally very strong to even be part of a wrestling team. Not many other sports are this hard on both the body and the mind.

Another thing I was interested in is the rest of the world knows Freestyle and Greco Roman, but the US they train folkstyle wrestling. When do you go from Folkstyle to the Olympic styles? Do you have a choice or you have to continue folkstyle in college? And for the people that did make that transition did you feel a big difference?

Reading all this about how Wrestlers train no wonder they're absolute animals when they cross over to MMA (or BJJ). Besides that Wrestling is a very important skill to posses in MMA, it also sounds that you need to be mentally very strong to even be part of a wrestling team. Not many other sports are this hard on both the body and the mind.

Another thing I was interested in is the rest of the world knows Freestyle and Greco Roman, but the US they train folkstyle wrestling. When do you go from Folkstyle to the Olympic styles? Do you have a choice or you have to continue folkstyle in college? And for the people that did make that transition did you feel a big difference?

Well most guys cut weight too so imagine practicing hard while starving. It breeds toughness, sometimes I'd only have some lettuce and a slice of meat for lunch then go to the grind. Also, there is wrestle offs every week where you have to prove you're varsity starting caliber.

Folkstyle is practiced in junior high, high school and college. Freestyle is in the off season (the style that most countries do) and same with greco. I wrestled freestyle after folkstyle season and I liked it a lot more since I'm a lot better at neutral and slightly above average on bottom (in freestyle you can just stall it out).

I always wondered why those wrestlers always looked so big

I always wondered why those wrestlers always looked so big

Hey man I'm not big at all. I'm a little guy and it sucked that during lifting I had to keep my lean muscle to stay as little as possible.

Hey man I'm not big at all. I'm a little guy and it sucked that during lifting I had to keep my lean muscle to stay as little as possible.

Did you guys lift for endurance or for strength?

Mixture of both, we'd do reps 12 then 11 then 10. I just couldn't really eat extra calories to bulk up, when you're a paper weight you gotta stay lean man.

Mixture of both, we'd do reps 12 then 11 then 10. I just couldn't really eat extra calories to bulk up, when you're a paper weight you gotta stay lean man.

Oh ok I see. In my limited experience with wrestling I always have problems with shorter stocky guys they are usually stronger than I am and they have less distance to cover when they want to take me down

It depends, a lot of high school coaches use circuits for conditioning and it's easier and (usually) safer to run a bodyweight or plate circuit as one or a couple coaches in charge of 30 or more athletes and maximizesee time and forces kids to work.

Unless someone is moving up a weight (or a heavy weight)or it the summer. In college and the strength coaches usually do heavy sets of low reps (1-5) to build strength without adding un necessary bulk.

Oh ok I see. In my limited experience with wrestling I always have problems with shorter stocky guys they are usually stronger than I am and they have less distance to cover when they want to take me down

Well I wrestled 103-113 throughout high school and let me tell you, there wasn't much of a huge height discrepancy. We were all around like 5"4-5"7 but I was always one of the shortest during weigh ins.

It depends, a lot of high school coaches use circuits for conditioning and it's easier and (usually) safer to run a bodyweight or plate circuit as one or a couple coaches in charge of 30 or more athletes and maximizesee time and forces kids to work.

Unless someone is moving up a weight (or a heavy weight)or it the summer. In college and the strength coaches usually do heavy sets of low reps (1-5) to build strength without adding un necessary bulk.

Yeah we did a lot of circuit stuff like box jumps and inclined pushups.

and ho
Well I wrestled 103-113 throughout high school and let me tell you, there wasn't much of a huge height discrepancy. We were all around like 5"4-5"7 but I was always one of the shortest during weigh ins.

and how much did you cut?

and ho

and how much did you cut?

As a sophmore I cut only 1-2 lbs but I was also at 8% body fat.
Junior I weighed in at 109 and couldn't cut down to the 103 so I wrestled 113.
Senior year I was 121 pounds and cut down to 113 (the cut was BRUTAL)

As a sophmore I cut only 1-2 lbs but I was also at 8% body fat.
Junior I weighed in at 109 and couldn't cut down to the 103 so I wrestled 113.
Senior year I was 121 pounds and cut down to 113 (the cut was BRUTAL)
I had to cut from one 160 to 140 because of my teams line up and my build. I went up to 157 in college and didn't grow an inch

High school was training 6 days a week.
2.5 - 3 hours.

Warm-ups 25 minutes.
Partner assisted stretching.
Technique portion.
Drill portion.
Drill portion with resistance.
Round-Robin till finish.

Tournaments every other week or sometimes every weekend depending.

Once in a great while we do live matches that are scored and timed as if it were a real match, but since Round Robin is 90% intensity or close to max, it wasn't that much different or tiring.

When ur in high school, ur body can easily take it. Back then I thought it was rough but looking back, it's amazing how awesome physicality and recup abilities are... The next day ur brand new.

Other people did freestyle during off season or went to local clubs to train year round, I said screw that, I loved to eat and kick back.

I think that, if wrestling is the best base for mma (not sure if I agree necessarily), it's probably because of the intensity of the training, and getting used to training/competing at that level without breaking. In wrestling, you don't show up just to have fun and lose weight-- the goal is to compete, so the goals in the practice room of separating the wheat from the chaff are intrinsically different from a great deal of BJJ schools, and probably also striking where you'll have people who train, and might be very good in their own right, but don't compete. Those people probably don't take strength and conditioning training that seriously. Of course, at a high level, strength and conditioning plays a big part in preparation for someone competing in any combat sport. But it is emphasized way more on average, basic day one wrestling for sure, at least from everything I understand.

I think that, if wrestling is the best base for mma (not sure if I agree necessarily), it's probably because of the intensity of the training, and getting used to training/competing at that level without breaking. In wrestling, you don't show up just to have fun and lose weight-- the goal is to compete, so the goals in the practice room of separating the wheat from the chaff are intrinsically different from a great deal of BJJ schools, and probably also striking where you'll have people who train, and might be very good in their own right, but don't compete. Those people probably don't take strength and conditioning training that seriously. Of course, at a high level, strength and conditioning plays a big part in preparation for someone competing in any combat sport. But it is emphasized way more on average, basic day one wrestling for sure, at least from everything I understand.
I think the objective of physically having to pin your opponent automatically injects more athleticism into the equation. BJJ is hard too but really does have techniques and positions that allow people to slow things down sometimes. Wrestling is full power from the start.

But yes, joining the team means you will compete.

Damn that's a lot of work

If you're a high school wrestler in the US and you aren't in excellent shape, you either have a dog shit coach or you're cutting corners...big time. Wrestling practice is no joke. Every year, we'd have a couple kids who played football try to wrestle for the first time. You'd always tell them that the training is very different and they're in for an eye-opening experience. Almost every time, you'd be met with some pushback about how great of shape football put them in or how we were exaggerating and almost every time, they would be completely fucking dead by the end of one practice and mentally broken.

Wrestling separates the men from the boys. Period.

Back