AVENGERS: ENDGAME No Spoilers Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragonlordxxxxx

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Notice: No spoiler discussion or spoilers in a box are allowed in this thread for the opening week. Link below for the spoiler discussion thread.

Update: April 23, 2019

Dragonlord’s Review of AVENGERS: ENDGAME (No Spoilers)

Bottom Line: Regrettably the first two hours are not up to par with what Infinity War paved for, the emotional third act was so gloriously awesome that Avengers: Endgame ended up as a befitting, magnificent conclusion to an epic saga.

NLwhg5X.jpg

Avengers: Endgame is the culmination of Marvel Studios’ painstakingly well-planned effort to map out at the Marvel Cinematic Universe for over 10 years. For over a decade, fans have grown up with these heroes and are invested in their adventures. Infinity War shocked the world with letting Thanos win and killing off half of the universe, even some of their beloved characters. Clocking in at 181 minutes long, Endgame doesn’t truly deliver until the final hour which is both a glorious action spectacle and a poignant, emotional sendoff.

The 2nd act is fun and a treat to the superfans with its overflowing of MCU Easter eggs and surprise cameos from a multitude characters from Marvel Studios’ rich history. But at some point I was getting worried that this is the best Endgame can come up with. Thankfully the film went into overdrive in the third act providing an insane massive battle that will have the cinema audience clapping and cheering with so many highlights in the extended action sequence.

In contrast with Infinity War’s overabundance of action, Endgame sets a much solemn vibe which gives the lead actors a chance to show off their fine acting performances as well as more opportunity for character growth.

Though it has its fair share of problems, directors Joe and Anthony Russo and screenwriters Christopher Markus and Stephen McFeely have crafted an epic conclusion to the Infinity saga and delivers a moving farewell to some of these beloved characters.

Rating: 8.5/10 or 9/10

Update: Watched Endgame a second time and liked it better. I initially wasn’t fond of the time heist but knowing what to expect this time, the 2nd act flowed much better and I was thoroughly entertained for the entire movie. The last hour was still amazing, just masterfully executed. The Russo Bros. are a master at orchestrating stunning grand scale battle with sensational action choreography and highlighting multitudes of outstanding character moments.

Though the crowd was not as loud compared to my first screening, I’m happy that the second screening audience still clapped and cheered during the epic moments. Endgame is one of those movies people need to watch in movie theaters because audience impact and reaction are also a vital part of the enjoyment.

The time travel plot holes are still there but just like those classic time travel movies like Back to the Future, The Terminator and Die Hard*, it’s best not to dwell on the inconsistencies and just enjoy the greatness of the film. Replay factor is high with Endgame, rating could go a bit higher with future viewings.

Rating: 9/10

(For my full spoiler review and the spoiler discussion thread, click here.)

Update: April 4, 2019

Joe Russo Confirms AVENGERS: ENDGAME Runtime Will Be 3 Hours and 58 Seconds

The directors of Avengers: Endgame have officially confirmed the run time of the highly anticipated culmination of everything in the Marvel Cinematic Universe through 22 films. Previous reports were close but some changes throughout post-production have moved Avengers: Endgame to 3 hours and 58 seconds long.

"I think it's three hours and fifty eight seconds," Avengers: Endgame co-director Joe Russo told ComicBook.com. "We just sped up the credits is what we did," he added with a laugh.

The Russo Brothers are currently in Las Vegas to accept a Directors of the Year award at the yearly CinemaCon event. On Wednesday, Disney did not bring the Russo Brothers onto the stage during that presentation, however the studio did unveil almost five minutes from the film."We didn't even know they were showing that, by the way," Joe Russo said. As for where the sequence fits into the movie, Joe Russo isn't willing to reveal any details.

In the CinemaCon footage for Avengers: Endgame, one thing which was established was the dynamic between the remaining heroes and Brie Larson's Captain Marvel character. The first meeting of these heroes will come in Avengers: Endgame's early moments. The dynamic between the beloved heroes is something the Russo Brothers focused on strongly in the aftermath of Thanos snapping his fingers and eliminating half of the universe's living creatures.

"You'll see this from movie to movie for us, for Joe and I in the MCU," Anthony Russo said. "We really strongly commit to the storytelling that's come before. We strongly commit to what's happened to those characters in Winter Soldier, to the dividing of the Avengers in Civil War and the destruction of the relationship between Tony and Steve. The same way, we're committing to the end of Infinity War. What we do is we track how each of those characters who survived, what is their relationship to those events? How do they move forward from that moment? How do they move forward, individually? Collectively? How do you deal with defeat as a super hero?"

https://comicbook.com/marvel/2019/04/04/avengers-endgame-run-time-three-hours-russo-brothers/

tumblr_inline_mqbevaz2FY1qz4rgp.gif

I thought it said 3 hours 58 mins. I was ready, but a little startled.

"You'll see this from movie to movie for us, for Joe and I in the MCU," Anthony Russo said. "We really strongly commit to the storytelling that's come before. We strongly commit to what's happened to those characters in Winter Soldier, to the dividing of the Avengers in Civil War and the destruction of the relationship between Tony and Steve. The same way, we're committing to the end of Infinity War. What we do is we track how each of those characters who survived, what is their relationship to those events? How do they move forward from that moment? How do they move forward, individually? Collectively? How do you deal with defeat as a super hero?"

https://comicbook.com/marvel/2019/04/04/avengers-endgame-run-time-three-hours-russo-brothers/

3 hours....and this. It's gonna be more Cap centric than IW. I'm so happy <tears>

she doesn't seem to have the necessary charisma and natural ability to lead the MCU going forward. Her character may grow with time but i dunno...she felt a bit flat , robotic and lifeless in Captain Marvel.

That's how she was supposed to be in that movie. All of her training involved not letting your emotions come through. It's like saying you don't like Spock because he's flat,robotic and lifeless.

I thought it said 3 hours 58 mins. I was ready, but a little startled.
I felt a slight drop in my serotonin when my brain realized it was seconds and not minutes.

Who’s gonna be the first to die in this???

Gotta start an End Game drinking game

Take a drink when...

Anyone says Thanos

Anyone mentions Infinity Stone

Anyone says avenge or avengers
Feel feee to add on

Gotta start an End Game drinking game

Take a drink when...

Anyone says Thanos

Anyone mentions Infinity Stone

Anyone says avenge or avengers
Feel feee to add on
People want to enjoy the movie. Not pass out in the first 15 minutes

People want to enjoy the movie. Not pass out in the first 15 minutes
2 drinks when someone mentions Fury

Drink when Captain Marvel talks condescendingly towards any of the other Avengers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back