attn: Coffee Lovers

ronin0352

Lift, Eat, Sleep, Repeat
@Brown
Reaction score
Coffee's image took a hit in 1982 when a major study concluded that frequent use increased the risk of pancreatic cancer. Since then, coffee companies have funded more and more research seeking to show the opposite: that coffee may actually have some health benefits.

While studies are backing up some of the health warnings, a growing body of research is suggesting that daily coffee consumption may lower the risk of type 2 diabetes.

From www.medicinenet.com/scr ipt/main/art.asp?articlekey=80808"

Not like too many people drink coffee for their health, but hey, there it is.:)

Well, post work-out, or if I am sick, mildly or heavily, I can't drink coffee. My body doesn't want.

But shit, its tasty...so, its a vice more then anything :D

I drink coffee for my health. And because I like the taste.

Black and strong. That'll put hair on your chest.

I used to drink a couple pots a day, minimum, but it lost its appeal to me. Now I'm thinkin maybe I should start up again.

I too used to drink alot of coffee about 3-4 years ago. Then I just got tired of it I guess and started drinking more white or green tea. Im not really a coffee person anymore and I dont think I will get back into drinking it.

I take a thermos full to work every morning. I think it suppresses my food cravings in the morning.

Oh yeah, milk and splenda FTW!!!!!!

caffeine createss dependency

i got tired a day without coffee

If it where not for the Advanced Glycation end Lipid oxidation I'd drink it allot more.

Well I use to drink 2-4 cups a day up until a few years ago. Now its maybe that many a week. As for becoming dependent etc. EVERYONE is dependent upon something that they don't really need to be, I don't see the big deal.

Well I use to drink 2-4 cups a day up until a few years ago. Now its maybe that many a week. As for becoming dependent etc. EVERYONE is dependent upon something that they don't really need to be, I don't see the big deal.

i dont drink too much coffee anymore

use caffeine pills / green tea extract pills

wonder if its the same

i dont drink too much coffee anymore

use caffeine pills / green tea extract pills

wonder if its the same

Um...no. COFFEE gives you the benefit. Not just the caffeine.

yeah, it mentions that in that study. you have to copy & paste to see it though, removing the space in "scr ipt" cause the filter doesn't like it.

Cap'n, you said you already drank coffee for the health benefits, but this is the first I'd heard of them. Are there more that you've heard of than what's mentioned in that study?

If it where not for the Advanced Glycation end Lipid oxidation I'd drink it allot more.

I posted a big-assed response to this this morning, but it seems to have disappeared, and I was too bagged from my nightshift to re-type it. At any rate, the basis was this:

Yes, drinking coffee results in AGEs being produced; the same can be said of virtually every food heated even a little. Is this an issue? No, because Mo' Nature is one smart cat, and has packed natural anti-oxidants into said foods. With the coffee bean, chlorogenic acid and caffeic acid being just two of them.

Now, lipid oxidation. This can be looked at two ways: Do I want a really nice, fresh cup of blow-your-mind Joe, or do I want ripped abs? Makes no sense? Let me explain.

If you're concerned about the first, as I am, then you don't want rancid oils in your coffee. A.K.A oxidized lipids. That's the beans that sit, pre-ground, on the shelf for months on end. That's fucking bullshit that crap like that is even sold, and if you buy those beans, you're a tool. Buy fresh roasted beans and grind right before brewing. Organic, free-trade coffee is available everywhere. And no, I'm not a tree hugger. I just don't like cancer.

If you're concerned about the second, well, that would be lipolysis through lipid oxidation, via caffeine consumed in the form of coffee (but not isolated to coffee). It's just one of the mechanisms through which caffeine acts as a thermogenic.

coffeewi2.jpg

If the study told me I'd die in 5 years I might consider quitting coffee

Thanx for the info, Mike. Guess I should look into a grinder for after I finish off this can I've got...

I once had a friend buy me some (what he thought) good coffee that was pre-ground as a birthday gift. Soon after he left, I tossed it out.

I grind it myself or I skip coffee altogether. Fuck coffee shops.

I assume the article applies to real coffee, not the bagged stuff we have in our kitchen drawer at work.

Back