Attention TKD fighters on sherdog.

Originally posted by Os3y3ris
"The toughest thing about it would be absorbing the checking, when people block with the shin."

You dont do this in TKD?
I use this sometimes or just counter kick in TKD sparring and this is mainly in Muay Thai but it's a good way to jam a kick.

tkd'ers use shin guards in competitions anyways, so it takes away alot of shock.

i used knee blocks in tkd sparring all the time

Originally posted by dapunisher
nice highlight kyryllo your one crazy ass german.

I'm a crazy ass ukrainian;) :D

Originally posted by Liquid Snake
tkd'ers use shin guards in competitions anyways, so it takes away alot of shock.

i used knee blocks in tkd sparring all the time
yeah i have used knee blocks also....you can punish their foot with knee blocks

Originally posted by True2KungFu
If i were to start up TKD in college coudl i compete in that effectively? Ive been doing kung fu for several years and i can kick good and whatnot i am just wondering if theres any particular things id have to adjust to

Arlene Limas was a noted competitor in kung fu tourneys before switching to TKD. She won the gold in '88 during the first Olympic TKD matches.

yeah, i was just wondering.....cause you said you went four hours to train in ohio

Whe i competed in the indiana open it took my team about 5 hours to make the trip down.

To Striker:

Which techniques do you still utilise and why?

Great to hear from everyone and such a positive thread!

THanks to others for not flaming

Good luck to you all and it is pleasure to be able to discuss things with you and be motivated by your success!!!!

Originally posted by dapunisher
Whe i competed in the indiana open it took my team about 5 hours to make the trip down.
You going to be at the indy cup? if you are i will see you there

Did ITF TKD for 14 yrs, I'm tired of it now and am working boxing and BJJ of course. MY TKD experience was pretty good and I know I'm an effective fighter, especially once I started mixing other styles in there so that I had a heavy emphasis on punching. I was lucky in that my TKD instructor was an ex-boxer (actually sparred Lewis a few times while he prepared for the Olympics) so there is a heavy emphasis on punching technique at the club.

This thread is an april fools joke right?
Just kidding, as a former TKD man myself (11 years) I have never see so manu positive TKD posts in a row with no flames! Wow hell has frozen over, pigs are flying, dogs and cats are sleeping together!

I think its great (TKD and this thread)!

Yeah it's almost to good to be true.

K.O. kid when is the indy cup???

Indy cup
May 22, 2004
University of Indianapolis
317-841-8000 for info

DAYUM! Who knew there were so many TKDer's (with positive outlooks on it) here at Sherdog. I'm glad to add my name to that list. I've been training on and off since I was 5, so that's close to 15 yrs of experience :D

But I left my old school like 8 years ago (it fell prey to the McDojo epedemic :( ), and now I cross-train with a few people from the Blackbelt Club at my university. I'm hoping to join up with a kickboxing academy this summer and start competing in amateur kb tourneys this fall.

Oh and I definately agree with the sentinemts on TKD's footwork. I've found that can be a huge advantage against more flat-footed stylists (ie. Karateka/MT boxers) who prefer to slug it out in close. Good distancing mixed blazing speed absolutely kills!

I found that the TKD steps like sliding step,quick lateral exchange,shuffle step, and etc... are a good strategy in real street fighting because it's a good way to fake out your opponent.

Hey LS! How goes it?

I haven't been around as much since Wolfie got banned... as annoying as his rants were, he kept the place interesting... I kinda miss the public bitch-fights we shared *sniff* :(

Back